Sponsored

Steeda's New Adjustable Front Coil Over Kit

hulk_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Your site says that the coilover is only rebound adjustable. Doesn't mention anything about the compression.

Can you comment on this?

Thanks TJ. Super excited about this as I was leaning toward Pro Action shocks. Now I also have a coilover option!

:clap2::first::headbang:
Sponsored

slink914

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco
[/PHP]
What would be the recommended spring rates for a street driven track car?

Will these front coilovers work with Maximum Motorsport Camber Plates?

I wish you released the entire kit so I can buy it all at once!
I think TJ stated the rears come out in another 30days

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

Sponsored

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Your site says that the coilover is only rebound adjustable. Doesn't mention anything about the compression.

Can you comment on this?

Thanks TJ. Super excited about this as I was leaning toward Pro Action shocks. Now I also have a coilover option!

:clap2::first::headbang:
Yes, only rebound adjustable. This is a very high quality damper engineered especially for the S550, not a universal kit. They can handle up to a 450lb/in wheel rate.

Furthermore, you have your choice of rates for the front anywhere from 150 to 450 lb/in for spring rates.
coil over S550.jpg

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
So what are you supposed to use in the rear with these up front?

No recomendations on springs rates for different applications/purposes? What does your T1 car use?

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
So what are you supposed to use in the rear with these up front?

No recomendations on springs rates for different applications/purposes? What does your T1 car use?
As you know spring rates are subjective to conditions and objectives.

Example we run lower rate spring at Sebring versus a higher rate at Homestead. All depends on track conditions.

The beauty of our Steeda front coil over system is you can change spring rates easily for different track conditions.

We will be running 300 lb/in rate at our next race.

Our rear coil over system in the rear uses the existing Pro-Action adjustable damper.
We use the existing production spring location in the trailing arm with a adjustable upper spring seat for ride height and corner weights. Starting rates will be approx 1100 lbs/in

Steeda Tech

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Enter the coilover market and the fingers start a-typin' saying "mine is better". I like JRI's options and especially MCS (local to me) options, but they'll cost me >$3K, won't they... yes.

Again, ZERO of the non-Steeda rear coilover options selfishly dropped in this forum sponsor's thread announcing a Steeda product do anything to strengthen the lower mounting point of a coilover assembly. You can "beefy bracket" the hell out of the top of the thing with Wolverine's adamantium, not going to solve the fact you're bolting full spring rate forces to the edge ear of a brittle cast aluminum piece. You may have no worry about it and an issue may never occur on a car equipped with them, but the risk is vastly increased and precisely why the Ford race cars have a different lower control arm.

Should you require more adjustability, and you actually know what you're doing in order to perfect the settings for a given application, which requires numerous track days and careful testing to do right (good for you and your bank account), then get someone else's coilovers. Swinging into this thread with a closed mind, evil giggling with pictures and links to other coilover options is the same as being that barn door you're talking to and not being able to run away from the blithering.

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
In action on 2016 S550 20 Race car
IMG_2516 (002).JPG S550.jpg
IMG_2519 (004).JPG S550.jpg

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Not that it's going to make any difference but I'm curious what coilovers weigh in comparison to a typical strut and spring.

hulk_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Are the coilovers valved the same as the standalone pro-action shock/struts?

If so, I'm assuming that the shock/strut can handle the same spring rates front and rear as the coilovers?

Aside from the ride height adjustment, what benefit do the coilover have over the shock/strut? I ask because I already have MM camber plates which I think is more robust piece than the Steeda camber plates.

If its the exact same damper, is there any weight savings?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
MM plates are good stuff, but saying they're "more" robust... eh... prove it. They don't eliminate the upper speak seat bearing, either. I don't see how the metal is any stronger. The bearing - Steeda's bearing is excellent. I've held MM, BMR, and Steeda plates in my hand. Haven't seen J&M. Of the three, I favor Steeda's without bias, but would have MM plates, too. They do have a fancy little dress up piece for the engine bay (top of strut tower) which is a nice to have, not a need to have. I guess I do wish Steeda including something like that, but that also separates the bolt from the most direct pressure point (the top of the strut tower). Hardware that comes with Steeda plates are the same grade as factory, which is completely sufficient. Man, I think you'll be perfectly happy with Steeda's plates. I think it's nice that they include them with coilovers - eliminates having to do add-ons and gets you a full package. The only camber plates I think are more favorable to Steeda's are Vorshlag's, but they're twice the price and I think at that point either an option for someone with deep pockets and/or a hardcore, track-dedicated vehicle (i.e., wishing to eliminate the factory upper spring seat bearing (for springs) or needing a a dedicated solution to other (i.e., non-Steeda) coilovers). At their price point, you're getting additional functionality like a the gauge on it to mark for "on track" vs. "off track" camber (I presume). I wouldn't be surprised if Steeda comes out with something like that at some point, can't be too hard to do a little add-on piece if you think about it... hint hint. :)

hulk_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
MM plates are good stuff, but saying they're "more" robust... eh... prove it. They don't eliminate the upper speak seat bearing, either. I don't see how the metal is any stronger. The bearing - Steeda's bearing is excellent. I've held MM, BMR, and Steeda plates in my hand. Haven't seen J&M. Of the three, I favor Steeda's without bias, but would have MM plates, too. They do have a fancy little dress up piece for the engine bay (top of strut tower) which is a nice to have, not a need to have. I guess I do wish Steeda including something like that, but that also separates the bolt from the most direct pressure point (the top of the strut tower). Hardware that comes with Steeda plates are the same grade as factory, which is completely sufficient. Man, I think you'll be perfectly happy with Steeda's plates. I think it's nice that they include them with coilovers - eliminates having to do add-ons and gets you a full package. The only camber plates I think are more favorable to Steeda's are Vorshlag's, but they're twice the price and I think at that point either an option for someone with deep pockets and/or a hardcore, track-dedicated vehicle (i.e., wishing to eliminate the factory upper spring seat bearing (for springs) or needing a a dedicated solution to other (i.e., non-Steeda) coilovers). At their price point, you're getting additional functionality like a the gauge on it to mark for "on track" vs. "off track" camber (I presume). I wouldn't be surprised if Steeda comes out with something like that at some point, can't be too hard to do a little add-on piece if you think about it... hint hint. :)
Thank you for your opinion.

Let's first start off by saying to each his own. You seem to defend STEEDA in many posts. I think STEEDA makes great products. But they don't necessarily make all of the best products. So I think we can all agree with this.

My opinion about camber plates being more robust is based on me having seen and held both Steeda and MM plates in person. I chose the MM because to me it looks more robust, more complete and nicer. I don't know the metal content of the camber plates, nor am I an engineer that can comment on the structural rigidity and quality of each product. It is merely my opinion.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that MM and STEEDA plates are equal.

Now if the coilover were 1) valved to handle more spring rate, 2) were both rebound/compression adjustable and 3) provided a significant weight savings, then I would lean more toward getting the coilover.

But if it doesn't yield at least 2 of the 3 improvements, why would someone who already has springs and camber plates, purchase the coilover verision over the strut/shock only, if for no other reason than ride height and corner balancing?
i

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Thank you for your opinion.

Let's first start off by saying to each his own. You seem to defend STEEDA in many posts. I think STEEDA makes great products. But they don't necessarily make all of the best products. So I think we can all agree with this.

My opinion about camber plates being more robust is based on me having seen and held both Steeda and MM plates in person. I chose the MM because to me it looks more robust, more complete and nicer. I don't know the metal content of the camber plates, nor am I an engineer that can comment on the structural rigidity and quality of each product. It is merely my opinion.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that MM and STEEDA plates are equal.

Now if the coilover were 1) valved to handle more spring rate, 2) were both rebound/compression adjustable and 3) provided a significant weight savings, then I would lean more toward getting the coilover.

But if it doesn't yield at least 2 of the 3 improvements, why would someone who already has springs and camber plates, purchase the coilover verision over the strut/shock only, if for no other reason than ride height and corner balancing?
i
One note, is that the Steeda camber plate supports the factory spring seat isolator bearing on the inner and outer race for more durability. Most other plates do not. Also, our plates are nickel plated for life long durability.
I will answer your other questions tomorrow.
Thanks, Steeda Tech
Sponsored