Sponsored

New mustang coming, what cosmetic products should I be using from the start?

Pmauoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic
What's the best way to start on a new car? Buying a new car in the winter on the east coast can be stressing. I am sure to get it all polished when picking it up only to pull into my garage all dirty....

Should you clay a new car?
Should you use cquartz?

Just looking for recommendations on how best to start and prevent those nasty swirl marks....
Sponsored

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If your paint doesn't feel like glass then yes, you should clay it.

I haven't used cquartz but a good sealer or wax should do the trick. Make sure to use a proper washing method like the 2 buckets, or rinse less washing.

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
There are numerous videos on new car first wash techniques, AmmoNYC is a good source for videos.

Personally, the steps I would take with a brand new car is first tell the dealer to NOT wash or prep the car in any way. That will reduce the chances of swirls drastically. The people that prep new cars do not care about making sure your specific car has no swirl marks, they care about getting through as many vehicles as they can. (I used to do detailing at a Ford dealership) Once you have the vehicle home, I would wash with the two bucket method, I would highly recommend a foam gun if you do not have one already (very cheap from amazon) clay the entire car (rail dust and build up happens from sitting outside)

Once the entire car is clayed, I would polish any scratches and/or swirls you are able to find on the vehicle. At this point you could wash it again to remove any leftover polish/clay lube residue. Then I would apply a glaze/sealant, followed by paste/liquid wax.

There are numerous good brands, I would pick one that is in your budget and go with it. I have some chemical guys products, they typically get a bad rating on here since they have 100 products for the same purpose, but I find their products to be effective and affordable, I just dont pay attention to their aerospace technology claims and such. I also use some meguiars products as well, specifically M205 and 105. Adams is a good brand also. AmmoNYC makes some products as well but they are on the pricier side.

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

16COEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Personally, i would clay the car. Sometimes cars sit outside for weeks before being transported to dealerships (on open trucks most times). I told the dealer not to wash my car before delivery, they did anyways. I brought the car home, did a 2 bucket wash, clay, Polish (Meguiars M205) and wax (Meguiars yellow). Luckily the dealer had a drive through wash so no one touched it. The Polish was able to take out any swirls.

A year later I'm doing another clay, wet sand, compound, Polish and wax.

Meguiars products are good, M105 and m205 and some of their glazes and tan bottle stuff is easily available at walmart or Autozone.

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Adams Polishes, quality made in USA products that don't break the bank.

RE: Clay - once your pony arrives put a plastic baggie over your hand and run it over the paint. If you can feel bumps/catches it needs clayed (and it will). Will most likely benefit from some paint correction and a good paint sealant.

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
Adams Polishes, quality made in USA products that don't break the bank.

RE: Clay - once your pony arrives put a plastic baggie over your hand and run it over the paint. If you can feel bumps/catches it needs clayed (and it will). Will most likely benefit from some paint correction and a good paint sealant.
I can personally attest to this - my Mustang had surface contaminants from the factory. I custom ordered it so it didn't even sit on the lot for more than a day. My parents also recently bought a 2017 Fusion and it had tons of rail dust on the paint when I detailed it for them around Christmas time.

Adams products are great. Their wheel cleaner is one of the best I've used.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I clayed and polished mine, then finished it off with a coat of wax. For the interior I vacuumed it since it was sitting on the lot and test driven a few times. I also wiped down the dash and door panels with Cockpit Premium (it's an amazing product), and wiped the seats down with Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner. It's 8 months old now but the interior still looks brand new. The exterior could use another polishing after the winter but looks great as well.
Sponsored