Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I want an S550, I want to go fast, I want it as cheap as I can get it. A base 2017 Magnetic GT w/ PP (and nickel wheels) will be great!!

Not bashing the new 18, but the changes don't really do anything for me.

-Emt1581

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I am stepping into a 2018 Mustang, from a BMW.

BMW has lost it's flavor and has soured with me. Techno-bang-driving. Their slush box's-drivertrain has too many nannies, lost it's edge/dna (ergo: dull). The ford S550 Mustang is more focused and raw. And in my backyard!

Not to mention, the 2018 s550 offers MagneRide.

This is coming from favoring BMW's suspension, chassis & balance for the last 25 years. Until I drove a gt350-R with (tuned) MagneRide. So, this opens up new possibilities in dynamics on personal ownership of the new models, plus the 2018 comes with Ford's new (totally new?) 5.0 high compression dual-injection engine. It will make for a better car, better ownership imo. And it allows for more personalized tunes. (Most forum members would be happy with a 93 octane tune on the new engine, hp/tq wise)

Now, tack on the fact, that the 2018 Mustang has TWO totally new, highly-engineered transmissions, that blow BMW's choices away and come from engineering on the track.?

THee only question for me personally this winter ( .. & what seems like many), is which Mustang..?

Bullitt..?
GT350 (new manual? new auto?)
5.0 GT w/FPR kit
Mach?
Mamba (2.9 v6 EB) w/ GT350'esque fiber..?

FWIW: I am looking for steadfast track worthiness, and cross country drivability. The s550 has grown into a refined platform. And Ford Racing has my respect. I work hard, play hard. And I am going to pony up.

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert

BMW has lost it's flavor and has soured with me. Techno-bang-driving. Their slush box's-drivertrain has too many nannies, lost it's edge/dna (ergo: dull). The ford S550 Mustang is more focused and raw. And in my backyard!

This is coming from favoring BMW's suspension, chassis & balance for the last 25 years. Until I drove a gt350-R with (tuned) MagneRide. So, this opens up new possibilities in dynamics on personal ownership of the new models, plus the 2018 comes with Ford's new (totally new?) 5.0 high compression dual-injection engine. It will make for a better car, better ownership imo. And it allows for more personalized tunes. (Most forum members would be happy with a 93 octane tune on the new engine, hp/tq wise)

Now, tack on the fact, that the 2018 Mustang has TWO totally new, highly-engineered transmissions, that blow BMW's choices away and come from engineering on the track.?

THee only question for me personally this winter ( .. & what seems like many), is which Mustang..?

Bullitt..?
5.0 GT w/FPR kit
Mach?

FWIW: I am looking for steadfast track worthiness, and cross country drivability. The s550 has grown into a refined platform. And Ford Racing has my respect. I work hard, play hard. And I am going to pony up.
You can knock the gt350s off your list as they dont have a new fandangled coyote under the hood.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You sure about that ? It is still going to have MT-82 with yet another fix attempt... I like mine and I think it doesn't deserve all the shit it is getting, but last thing I would call is "highly engineered". Same thing for the auto - 10 speed _might_ be OK, but as much fun as I make out my friends BMW, Ford transmissions were never even remotely close to BMWs/ZFs and I don't think there is a chance that's going to change...

Sponsored

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You sure about that ? It is still going to have MT-82 with yet another fix attempt... I like mine and I think it doesn't deserve all the shit it is getting, but last thing I would call is "highly engineered". Same thing for the auto - 10 speed _might_ be OK, but as much fun as I make out my friends BMW, Ford transmissions were never even remotely close to BMWs/ZFs and I don't think there is a chance that's going to change...
Not to get too far off track but that's something I don't understand about Ford. All of their resources and the money and the R&D they put into their cars and they were still okay with a transmission that seems to be the achilles heel of the car. :shrug:

-Emt1581

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

Bullitt..?
5.0 GT w/FPR kit
Mach?

The gt350 is and will be a manual car

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Not to get too far off track but that's something I don't understand about Ford. All of their resources and the money and the R&D they put into their cars and they were still okay with a transmission that seems to be the achilles heel of the car. :shrug:

-Emt1581
They probably didn't have bad intentions, but they probably didn't get the MT-82 initially right and then it was just cost driven. Every major corporation works this way.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They probably didn't have bad intentions, but they probably didn't get the MT-82 initially right and then it was just cost driven. Every major corporation works this way.
I can see where you're coming from. On the other hand if enough people complain about the soup...stop serving it!

I guess, although the MT-82 complaints are notorious, it hasn't reached a level of significance for Ford.

-Emt1581

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
I would wait for the 2018 and get a Hyundai Elantra Sport in the meantime. Once the '18 arrives the S550 would be my weekend car, and Elantra takes the role of beater.
elantra sport.jpg

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
i'm probably way late to the discussion but there's really two questions to ask yourself.

Do I prefer the look of the 2018?
Does the presumed horsepower bump and/or other performance changes matter to me?

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I can see where you're coming from. On the other hand if enough people complain about the soup...stop serving it!

I guess, although the MT-82 complaints are notorious, it hasn't reached a level of significance for Ford.

-Emt1581
That should prove as a VERY obvious indicator that the issues with the MT-82 reside mostly on internet forums and not in real life.

It's completely overblown BS parroted by simples who prefer to regurgitate poor opinions than formulate one based in fact.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Yeah, what 6-spd manual does BMW have, that is better than the gt350's, or the one in the Mustangs..? (Or the new twin-mass, dual-clutch?).

And does BMW even offer a 10-spd auto in their M2... or any sport model..?

Lastly, that A10 isn't just any automatic. Perhaps you should read up on it. It cost a 200M+ to co-develop. (Do you happen to see what cars it is being released in..?)

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
The 6MT that BMW put in the E9x M3 was out of a frigging dump truck I think. They didn't even redo the ratios in the 6MT from the 650i when they put it in the US-market M5 to satisfy internet whiners.

BMW isn't at all known for making excellent manual shifters, I've owned tens of them and they range from rubbery and vague to hot garbage in a dumpster fire. They *really* want you to buy their DCT upgrade these days, apparently enough to force it on you ;)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yeah, what 6-spd manual does BMW have, that is better than the gt350's, or the one in the Mustangs..? (Or the new twin-mass, dual-clutch?).

And does BMW even offer a 10-spd auto in their M2... or any sport model..?

Lastly, that A10 isn't just any automatic. Perhaps you should read up on it. It cost a 200M+ to co-develop. (Do you happen to see what cars it is being released in..?)
I know exactly what the 10 speed is. Did you drive it ? Specifically Mustang one ? Why the hell do you think you need 10 speed transmission with two top gears being for fuel economy only I have no clue. Or why would M2 need one...
Sponsored