Sponsored

Cooled seats not cooling

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm skeptical. The seats are very sensitive to initial temperature and ambient temperature (not the same thing when you consider a parked car soaking in sunlight on a 90F day will be at an initial temperature of well over 130F).
The seat bottom have no problem working in a situation like that, but the seat backs can't even cool if the interior of the car starts out at 60 deg F.
Sponsored

USMC0341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Just curious how you came to this conclusion. I'm assuming you have access to additional data from other GT350 owners or something, but you didn't make that clear.

Perhaps USMC0341 could check the software version for the SCME module. They may have done a full software upgrade versus just a parameter change.

I only have access to the phone app for Forscan right now so I don't know if the Windows version provides more detail. It says the software version is V11 2009-12-07. It also says the strategy is BU5T-14C144AB.
Here's what my scanner says..

SCME- Seat Control Module E
Part number: BU5T-14B663-AB
Strategy: GU5T-14C144-AA
Software version: v12 2015-03-02

Hope this helps...
IMG_0068.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I had posted this a little while back in the "DIY" thread on same subject matter, but no one responded... So here it is again, since the subject of the As Built data has come up:

-----

Has anyone seen this? I came across it via googling Ford SSM's. Unfortunately, I am unable to determine the issued SSM number, but out of curiosity, I wonder if the same update can be performed on the Mustang?

If someone is internal to Ford and can provide more info as to the complete SSM that would be great!

Climate Control Seat –
Poor Cooling Performance –
2016 Lincoln MKX
oemdtc
January 1, 2017 Diagnostic Tips
2016 MKX – Climate Control Seat – Poor Cooling Performance – Built On Or Before 3-Oct-2016

Some 2016 MKX vehicles equipped with climate control seats and built on or before 3-Oct-2016 may exhibit poor cooling performance from the climate control seat.

To correct the condition, update the seat control module E (SCME) as-built configuration using IDS version 103.01 or higher.

Make sure you are connected to the internet when downloading the updated as-built data.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
So [MENTION=7992]FordService[/MENTION] just this thread alone is 103 pages long. There are plenty more threads for this issue. The majority of folks are getting the run around. Go to a dealer and they act like your a problem because you want what you paid for. Call Corp Ford and they say "well the dealer says it works fine" (fine? not cooling is working fine? WTF) so whats going on? When are we going to get a fix for this? We held up our end of the bargain and purchased the car. When is Ford going to hold up their end of the bargain and just give us what we paid for? I have had mine in the shop 4 time and out of those 4 times its still not working. Not to mention all the time i was without my car.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
This thread is going to start getting busy again as the weather heat up and all those people that bought Mustangs during the cold weather start trying to use their butt cooler/back burner.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I've given up and decided that Ford just really sucks at cooled seats. It is a design flaw, they know it. They even came out with the TSB to fix it and could have at any point on MY 16 or 17 fixed the issue and still haven't. I don't think they know how to fix the issue so I will just live without the seat backs cooling and know ahead of time, that shouldn't be a feature I consider with the car.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I probably wouldn't have been as mad if it wouldn't have literally heated my back. I remember the first time it happened, I started sweating even more because that was the deciding factor in getting a premium car. Felt ripped off. I need zero help sweating and add leather to the mix...oh wait, we have heat too!!

A seat cooler, that heats your back...wtmf

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I probably wouldn't have been as mad if it wouldn't have literally heated my back. I remember the first time it happened, I started sweating even more because that was the deciding factor in getting a premium car. Felt ripped off. I need zero help sweating and add leather to the mix...oh wait, we have heat too!!

Is yours a 2015? If so, you might want to consider taking it to the dealer and have the TSB done. It was most beneficial for those that had the problem with it heating the backs when trying to cool. I didn't have that problem and the change for me was hardly noticeable.

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have a 2015 and had the TSB done, the change is hardly noticeable, a slight noticing of cooling if I sit in the seat just right, other than that nothing, very sad. It was the main reason I bought the car.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled

Agreed. The best fix would just be to have the ability to turn them on/off independently. Probably been said before.

Tell you what. They better have it fixed before the GT500 comes out. Would love to say I won't buy one unless it's fixed but I'd probably be lying.

Sponsored

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
If I could have the car down a while I would actually consider taking the seat apart and figuring it out myself. but I dont have that luxury

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Is yours a 2015? If so, you might want to consider taking it to the dealer and have the TSB done. It was most beneficial for those that had the problem with it heating the backs when trying to cool. I didn't have that problem and the change for me was hardly noticeable.
I wrecked mine unfortunately but will be replacing it with something similar. Was a 2016. But now that I know those don't work like they should, and I rarely used heated seats, a base model is not outta the question. I was so happy to have 'nut coolers' as we call them in my buddy's f250 too

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Agreed. The best fix would just be to have the ability to turn them on/off independently. Probably been said before.

Tell you what. They better have it fixed before the GT500 comes out. Would love to say I won't buy one unless it's fixed but I'd probably be lying.
Yeah I likely would've been fine with just running the bottom portion. And I loved the car, but upgrades that cost that much, and don't work or do the actual opposite of what they're supposed to, leave a bad taste in your mouth.

ctlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Prem/201A/Auto/Guard/Saddle/Spoiler del.
Yeah I likely would've been fine with just running the bottom portion. And I loved the car, but upgrades that cost that much, and don't work or do the actual opposite of what they're supposed to, leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Actually, just running the seat back, too might help as would being able to change the balance (e.g., run the bottom at a 1 and the back at a 3).

This may work to the extent that heat from the hot side of the bottom unit is unintentionally heating the cool side of the seatback unit. The reduction in heat generated by the bottom may be enough to let the seatback unit work. They possibly could implement in software and let you control via the touchscreen.

The better fix would be to run underseat AC ducts to cool the units like in sedans. The problem is that the RWD architecture leaves little room for such ducts.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just having the fan only run on the backs without the cooler on (which eventually turns into a heater) might help keep people's backs cooler.

Wonder if there is a way to turn off just the electronic cooling device but keep the fan running full speed using software?
Sponsored