Sponsored

EV or Hybrid Mustang in the future? What do you think?

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
Don’t get me wrong. I’m in love with mechanical stuff and admire the design of ICE. I have an associate degree in Mechanical Power Technology (2005) and now I’m graduating this semester with Mechanical Engineering Technology degree. Yay! I believe in technology and continues improvement. It’s not like we reached a dead end with ICE but we really didn’t give electric motors enough chance.

Have you ever thought about an Electric Mustang?? I know I know… A few things came to my mind were like a MUSTANG without the engine roar? No exhaust tips? No gear shifting? No typical modding? But I’m like WTH, they just released an I4 which I remember a lot of people were saying it’s never going to happen.

I predict Ford will release a hybrid Mustang in the next generation (if not during this gen). Maybe they will test a new hybrid technology with their refreshed Ford GT. I mean, sport hybrid like some of the new modern super cars, not boring hybrid like a Prius. I don’t see Ford is gutsy enough to release an ALL electric Mustang but that would defiantly be interesting. The EV market is growing and demand will make EV more and more affordable. Seeing Tesla giving away all their patents saying something.

Some of the pros and cons right off the top of my head:

EV Pros
Instant torque
No emission
No gearbox
No drive shaft
No typical maintenance
Lower gravity center (if battery placed at the bottom same as Tesla Model S)
Less drag

EV Cons
Expensive
Lower range
Longer time to “refuel”
Not as fun as ICE?
Not load enough - fake sound will not do it for me

PS: did you watch the new dual motor Tesla doing 0-60 in 3.2 s?
PS2: I'm not really a new member to this forum. I was reading around in here for months!
Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Hybrid maybe (Ferrari, Porsche, and McLaren opened the door for performance hybrids), but never straight electric. Battery life will never be good enough, and a $10,000 or $20,000 set of batteries is going to have a useful life of only 50,000 or 60,000 miles before needing replacement.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Possibly, but I'd never buy one.

I can't wait until they start taxing based on miles driven instead of fuel usage. I'll lmfao for weeks.

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
I think a 3L V8 (320HPish) with two 50hp plug-in electric motors with a 100 mile range would be great. One motor mounted on the diff to drive the car under light city use in neutral and one on the flywheel to assist with power / replace starter motor / be used for stop/start.

At a bare minimum the flywheel-mounted motor would replace the starter and the lead-acid battery would also be gone.

With the ability to charge every night or few nights depending on use, with short to medium commutes and regenerative-braking you could save a bunch and still have a nicely powerful V8 car.

I would want the option to disable stop/start, set the drive mode (full e-mode, using only diff-mounted motor, start/stop assist mode, and full-power mode).

Maybe not a Mustang, but a just-as-sexy all-aluminium two-seater that is perhaps a little smaller could be great as pure electric. Being a plug-in with LEDs throughout (no bulbs ever going out) and regenerative braking, you'd never have to visit a gas station ever again, nor get it serviced, and brakes would last significantly longer. You would just need to change tyres as often as current cars. That would be so awesome to almost not have to do anything except plug it in at home. The COG would be great too with a light car and the battery pack mounted below the seats.

Sponsored

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Hybrid - Yes. EV - absolutely NO. Why? Ford is building already Hybrids and isn't selling good numbers on the FIESTA EV at all. EV's will not go around here in Canada anyways with our harsh winters. I like to see how TESLA's system would go here at minus 40 C/F in the winter.

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Just what we need, an even heavier Mustang.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Just what we need, an even heavier Mustang.
Right? Might as well give up and make it into a performance Fusion at that point.

Sorry, I don't see performance hybrids fitting the Mustang mantra of cheap performance that can be daily driven. Ford has gone all in with turbos and smaller motors. If that won't suffice, I can see them discontinuing the Mustang before they went Hybrid or EV.

Maybe the Ecoboost can carry them a couple decades till alot of the EV issues are solved (cost, weight, life, refuel time etc.), but I doubt it.

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium, with saddle interior
EV mustang will probably never happen as long as internal combustion motors are still around.

I can see Ford coming out with a EV sport model in the near future, but they will not badge it as a Mustang.

My personal thoughts, EV / hybrid cars are NOT the Eco friendly solution of the future.
1st - weight
2nd - range
3rd - batteries, they ARE an environmental hazard, once their shelf life has expired.

Hydrogen is the future. With hydro cars, we get the same basic weight, range and power we see today, added in the only by product is water.

Problem right now is cost to manufacture, getting stations setup, push back from the oil industry and too much focus on electric vehicles.

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
EV mustang will probably never happen as long as internal combustion motors are still around.

I can see Ford coming out with a EV sport model in the near future, but they will not badge it as a Mustang.

My personal thoughts, EV / hybrid cars are NOT the Eco friendly solution of the future.
1st - weight
2nd - range
3rd - batteries, they ARE an environmental hazard, once their shelf life has expired.

Hydrogen is the future. With hydro cars, we get the same basic weight, range and power we see today, added in the only by product is water.

Problem right now is cost to manufacture, getting stations setup, push back from the oil industry and too much focus on electric vehicles.

I like the hydrogen idea, I think the last I read was a couple of years ago and BMW were getting around half the mileage from combustion of hydrogen as petroleum. It makes the most sense too, the infrastructure is already in place, they just need to add hydrogen tanks to the stations, the fuel can be ~infinitely recycled by using sunlight to make it from seawater, which burns back to water, our current and continuing development of the internal combustion engine can be applied to the hydrogen combustion engines, and you still get to keep the same characteristics of the car - vroom vroom!

I would like to see Ford bring out a sexy little fastback two-seater hybrid to showcase their light-weighting and future direction.

Sponsored

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
No emission
Emissions are transferred to another location, coal power plant.

I think a plug-in hybrid would work. Something with 20 mile electric range. Some European cities are outlawing tailpipe emission within downtown area. Handful of people would commute a Mustang from suburbs to work. Drive suburbs & highway in gasoline hybrid mode. Switch to electric mode for downtown. Ford could write it off as R&D towards future cars.
Small battery pack mounted in a modified spare tire wheel. Large capacitor mounted behind rear seats. Electric motor between driveshaft & differential. I'm not sure how much hp/tq you would need. But gas tank can be made smaller to give room for electric motor.

I don't see it working Stateside. We like practical cars. Mustang is practical fast car. C-Max is practical at saving fuel. And luckily we don't have cities outlawing tailpipe emissions.

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium, with saddle interior
I like the hydrogen idea, I think the last I read was a couple of years ago and BMW were getting around half the mileage from combustion of hydrogen as petroleum. It makes the most sense too, the infrastructure is already in place, they just need to add hydrogen tanks to the stations, the fuel can be ~infinitely recycled by using sunlight to make it from seawater, which burns back to water, our current and continuing development of the internal combustion engine can be applied to the hydrogen combustion engines, and you still get to keep the same characteristics of the car - vroom vroom!

I would like to see Ford bring out a sexy little fastback two-seater hybrid to showcase their light-weighting and future direction.
I just read a really good article in Car and driver last night in the 2015 mustang EB edition. The article does a very good job in explaining why are being forced to start making alternative fuel / vehicles. I don't want to go into all the details, but from their writing Hydro cars are starting to gain an edge on the Hybrid / EV vehicles. And how California CARB laws are giving them edge. Very good read.

bobbyh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I wouldn't have a problem with a hybrid Mustang; but do we really need the Mustang gaining any more weight?

I can only imagine any hybrid tech is going to add a bunch of weight.

OP
OP
Dary

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
I bet they got inspired by my post :p

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score