Sponsored

Thoughts on my first upgrades to hit the track?

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
After a bit of research and advice from people here, I think I have figured out my first mods for my coming Mustang. Note I will have fun on the street but trying to set it up for track days. Mind you I am not trying to spend a ton of money right now so I can't do everything. I know I could do lots more but I do have a budget. What are your thoughts on the below mods? Is this a good start to get on the track? Knowing I'm not looking to spend much more, are there other places you think the money would be better spent or should I stick with this and worry about other things as budget allows? Thanks again for your help. =)

SVE GT350 wheels, 19x10 on all 4 corners (save weight and go with a square set up)

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires, 285/35R19 (much better tire than the Pirelli P-Zero's)

Steeda Camber Plates and Adjustable Rear Camber Arms

Brake duct cooling kit
Sponsored

lizardman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Vehicle Showcase
Gratz! Don't forget to record your fun.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'd get some brake pads. Ferodo Ds2500 would be good or Ferodo ds1.11 if you want a track only pad.

If you haven't bought the tires yet get the RE71R instead

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Idk if you really need the rear camber arms. Camber is already adjustable in the rear from the factory. The rest seems like a good plan.

If you're a novice, you probably don't have to worry too much about brakes. There will come a time when you do, but initially the stock brakes should hold up ok. (It is hard to argue against brake cooling though, so do it if you feel like it)

Sponsored

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I will record for sure. I have a GoPro I need to use anyways. =)

I didn't list brake pads but was already planning on that.

I didn't realize the rear camber was adjustable already. Might have to forget about the rear adjusters for now and save a couple bucks.

As for the RE-11, it looks like they should have plenty of dry grip while also having good wet grip, ride comfort, etc. The RE-71R looks like it has great dry grip but at the expense of everything else from what I could see.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
Is your car a PP? If so, the stock pads will work fine unless you are capable of driving the car 10/10's, especially with tires below the grip level of RE-71R's.

And the RE-71R's actually have pretty good wet traction as long as they have tread to move the water. Obviously as they wear they get worse.

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
It is a PP. I thought I had read somewhere that the stock pads on it were actually pretty good.

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Differential cooler and a transmission cooler. If not either of those at a minimum I would change the diff fluid to 75w140 and the transmission to BG syncromesh.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
It is a PP. I thought I had read somewhere that the stock pads on it were actually pretty good.
Yes they are. For stock pads I'd say they are amazing. I could barely get them to fade driving a 20 min session at max effort. Now, the track I was on isn't too hard on brakes, but there are a couple hard zones, worse being 120-40.

On a bigger track the stock pads won't hold up trying to really go deep into braking zones, but the truth is most people aren't going to be doing that anyways.

Sponsored

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
The best upgrade for your first few track days is to upgrade the drivers seat by installing your ass in it. Get some seat time first before you spend and don't get "forum fever"!

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
No worries, my seat will have the ass upgrade. =)

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Well I ordered camber plates and a rear camber adjustment kit. Next is wheels and tires and the brake duct kit. We'll see but I might end up getting springs before it's all said and done with too.

After all of that, no more mods until next year. Aside from the driver mod of course!

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
Well I ordered camber plates and a rear camber adjustment kit. Next is wheels and tires and the brake duct kit. We'll see but I might end up getting springs before it's all said and done with too.

After all of that, no more mods until next year. Aside from the driver mod of course!
The steeda/SRP pedal upgrade plus gas pedal spacers will make heel-toeing a lot easier.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not sure if you mentioned previously, but if this is your first time on track don't even worry about any of the mods unless your tires and pads are worn or close to worn out. You can spend some money on racing brake fluid. All the other stuff you can do later as you get more familiar with your car.
Sponsored