Sponsored

Question about pinstripe installation

jtb4431

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, M6, Oxford White
Hey guys I just installed the thin full length stripe kit from bigwormgraphix.com. First time doing it and I made a few mistakes but I think it came out fairly well and saved me at least $300 (Northern VA).

Anyways, the pinstripes that came with the kit are different than the stripes. Does anyone know if they need the water/squeegee process like the vinyl stripes? They come on paper and peel off like stickers so I'm not sure.. :shrug:Thanks in advance!

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Sponsored

Kayva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Your stripes look awesome, great job. Not sure how the pinstripes come from Bigworm, but every pinstripe that I have done does not use the wet install process. Just a steady hand and a good eye. You've done great work so far, take your time and it should be fine.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
Be extra careful with the pinstripes. They tend to stretch if not removed from the backing properly. They are not the same as the main vinyl stripes.

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Premium PP GT
Looks good . Where in Va Winchester here

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Hey guys I just installed the thin full length stripe kit from bigwormgraphix.com. First time doing it and I made a few mistakes but I think it came out fairly well and saved me at least $300 (Northern VA).

Anyways, the pinstripes that came with the kit are different than the stripes. Does anyone know if they need the water/squeegee process like the vinyl stripes? They come on paper and peel off like stickers so I'm not sure.. :shrug:Thanks in advance!

JTB - your car and stripes look great.

I recently installed Big Worm's narrow stripes in matte black with grey pin stripes. I did use the water/squeegge method. I first installed the pin stripes up against the main stripes. Then I decide I wanted a gap b/w both; so I ordered another set of pin stripes from BW. I laid a new run of pin stripes next to first pin stripes, and pulled off the first set leaving the desired gap.

But I did pull the pin stripes off the paper. I used plenty of water on the car and misted a lot of water on the pinstripes. That way, they slide around pretty easily when you're laying them down. It just takes time and patience.

A few pics of both:
IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
And a shot of her rear.
IMG_0563.jpg

OP
OP

jtb4431

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some pics of the finished install. The blue looks a shade darker in person. The black pinstripes really set it off and help the harsh contrast from Oxford White to Electric Blue. Thanks [MENTION=10926]beefcake[/MENTION] for the great product! :cheers:

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I'm not usually a fan of the inside pinstripes but for some reason that color combo makes it look fantastic! Great looking stripes!

OP
OP

jtb4431

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not usually a fan of the inside pinstripes but for some reason that color combo makes it look fantastic! Great looking stripes!
I usually am not either, maybe it's just the combo because when I had just the outside on my eyes were drawn right to the blue/white transition. I'm happy with the results!

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
How did you find the install of the BigWormGraphics stripes kit? I'm considering doing the exact same for my Race Red with white stripes, and black pinstripes.

How did you find the overall process? What would you do different?

Sponsored
OP
OP

jtb4431

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you find the install of the BigWormGraphics stripes kit? I'm considering doing the exact same for my Race Red with white stripes, and black pinstripes.

How did you find the overall process? What would you do different?
To be honest, it was a bit of a pain in the ass BUT once it was done I felt accomplished and was glad that I saved enough money from install cost to buy another mod if I wanted. The kit that I got from Bigwormgraphix had everything I needed for install, minus cloth, a squirt bottle, and tape, and everything was clearly marked as to where it goes.
I have a pretty good eye and can be a bit obsessive over things being perfect and I still made a few mistakes (for example on the roof near the rear glass I applied too much pressure using the squeegee card tool and wrinkled the stripes a bit, but it has flattened out a bit thanks to the oddly warm weather we've had).
Also since we moved a few months ago due to me getting out of the Army I no longer have a garage, so I did the install in our apartment complex parking lot which was not fun. I had to fight the wind and constantly wipe with water and towels to make sure the application area was clean. This also means I couldn't use a heat gun, which would have helped with the sections that go over contours such as the front and rear bumper. Since it was ~80° that day it helped but if it were cooler I don't know if those pieces would have ever laid down properly. I just had to use manual pressure over and over until the vinyl complied.
It took me about 6.5 hours from measuring to finish, and about 1 hour to do the pinstripes the next day. If possible I would install during bigworm's business hours because you can call and talk to an installer if you have issues or questions ("A+" for customer service btw).
Two last pieces of advice: one, buy a bottle of bug/grime remover for the front bumper and under your license plates because im pretty sure no one ever washes under there and it will be filthy and need to be removed for vinyl adhesion and two, measure three different spots on both sides of the stripes for the hood roof and top of trunk (Because of the body lines (especially on red) you will know if your alignment is off even 1/4" and it's not easy to pull the stripes up more than a minute or two after getting the water out on those huge pieces of vinyl).
Good luck and post pics when your done! BTW, have you considered dark gray stripes? They would look killer on RR and it's much less common than white. Totally your choice, just a thought!

OP
OP

jtb4431

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But I did pull the pin stripes off the paper. I used plenty of water on the car and misted a lot of water on the pinstripes. That way, they slide around pretty easily when you're laying them down. It just takes time and patience.

A few pics of both:
Your stripes look killer! Smart idea using the first pinstripes as a measuring reference. :headbang:

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Your stripes look killer! Smart idea using the first pinstripes as a measuring reference. :headbang:
Thanks, man. Yours turned out killer too. I love the color combo. :cheers:
Sponsored