Sponsored

Steeda Fixed Valved Pro-Action Shocks & Struts (2015-2019)

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Out of curiosity, what is your logic or reasoning for the spring rate limits you've provided (I assume in relation to the Steeda Fixed Pro-Action shocks)?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Out of curiosity, what is your logic or reasoning for the spring rate limits you've provided (I assume in relation to the Steeda Fixed Pro-Action shocks)?
Without having the exact damping curves to calculate the damping ratios, I'm doing this based on personal and shared anecdote as well as my knowledge of vehicle dynamics.

Ex 1: Stock GT PP is underdamped on rebound and just right/overdamped for spirited driving/street on compression with its rates

Ex 2: Stock GT PP springs with these fixed pro-actions ( [MENTION=26181]keltymd[/MENTION] ), extremely planted and controlled, perhaps a touch too much even for regular street use

Ex 3: My GT with GT350R fronts and BMR handling rears, at 240 & 980 lb/in, respectively. It is definitely better controlled than a stock GT PP but could do with additional low-speed rebound control (steeper curve) for these rates. At high speed it could use less (flatter curve). That said, it's very close. My comment was based around the idea that I wouldn't go higher than the rates I have with these unless you're fine with the stock car's behavior and just want to go higher on spring rates. As I've mentioned before, if these are equivalent to 1.5 turns from soft on the adjustables, then I would bet that 1.625 or 1.75 turns would be near perfect with my springs.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The compression damping is actually softer than the PP shocks and struts.

The engineer at Steeda told me the fixed versions had 10% more compression control than the PP rears. Without seeing comparative dynos that's the only data point I have. Since I upgraded springs at the same time I don't have a good a/b test between the Steedas and OEM. On bumpier roads my seat of pants meter at least feels like they are dampy-er. But what do I know.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The engineer at Steeda told me the fixed versions had 10% more compression control than the PP rears. Without seeing comparative dynos that's the only data point I have. Since I upgraded springs at the same time I don't have a good a/b test between the Steedas and OEM. On bumpier roads my seat of pants meter at least feels like they are dampy-er. But what do I know.
You know, I might've gotten that crossed-up, but I distinctly remember it being less on compression, which is a big reason why ride quality on OE springs will be better overall (the PP rears in particular are quite firm on compression).

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Suspension noob here. How do the Fixed Shocks and Struts fair with BMR handling springs?

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I can tell you this. The rear compress MUCH easier than stock PP rear shocks but have a slower more controlled rebound. The PP shocks are about like a rock on compression and bounce back like a spring where the Steeda fixed valves are almost like they flipped it completely opposite. The Steedas ride and handle much better I have had them for 8,000 and they are on my second s550 now ( from re bought back my 2016) and I have no regrets in this purchase.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Suspension noob here. How do the Fixed Shocks and Struts fair with BMR handling springs?
They will work well. I have the GT350R front springs and BMR handling rears and the handling and ride are notably improved and better than the PP by a significant degree. It's firm for sure, but not harsh. The BMR fronts are a little stiffer than the 350R fronts, but will still work well.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I would personally suggest going with the adjustables so you can fine tune that high of a spring rate to your liking and application (track vs. daily), but they will pair well with the Steeda fixed dampers.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
They will work well. I have the GT350R front springs and BMR handling rears and the handling and ride are notably improved and better than the PP by a significant degree. It's firm for sure, but not harsh. The BMR fronts are a little stiffer than the 350R fronts, but will still work well.
What is the part number for those rears?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
OP
OP
tj@steeda

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Currently on sale for 15% off ... if you have been watching or looking to pair the Pro Actions with a nice set of Steeda Springs ... now is the time!

Best Regards,

TJ

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Just pulled the trigger on a set of non adjustable pro action front and rears. Sprung for the billet rear mounts too. I'm keeping the stock non-pp springs on the car; don't want to lower it due to the roads here in the northeast. I'll post back with a review once I install them! Steeda ensures these will work well with the stock springs...I hope so!!

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Just pulled the trigger on a set of non adjustable pro action front and rears. Sprung for the billet rear mounts too. I'm keeping the stock non-pp springs on the car; don't want to lower it due to the roads here in the northeast. I'll post back with a review once I install them! Steeda ensures these will work well with the stock springs...I hope so!!
I'm betting that's a great call! If you want to keep the stock ride height and satisfied with the support of the stock spring rate that is. I really think the biggest ride problem from the factory is the dampers. That and the shock mount design, I was really surprised that made any difference at all.

I have to say, the Steeda progressive springs helped my ride quality quite a bit too though and I like that they didn't lower the car too much. I still go over speed bumps and such without thinking about it.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm betting that's a great call! If you want to keep the stock ride height and satisfied with the support of the stock spring rate that is. I really think the biggest ride problem from the factory is the dampers. That and the shock mount design, I was really surprised that made any difference at all.

I have to say, the Steeda progressive springs helped my ride quality quite a bit too though and I like that they didn't lower the car too much. I still go over speed bumps and such without thinking about it.
Thanks. I am happy with the stock spring rate and ride height. It's my DD.

These cars do look fantastic lowered!! But I don't think that solution would work for me (yet).

I do a few HPDE's throughout the summer months and am not looking for hard laptime increases. Just want to to drive in anger and have fun!

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To recap, I've installed the non-adjustable Pro Actions on a non-PP suspension Mustang GT.

A step back here - the base GT suspension was good. I believe it met the requirement for a comfortable touring car. Non-jarring, smooth ride, quiet. It did lean on track days and it did wiggle, and boy did it squat under acceleration. But I have to give Ford credit on the tuning.

The next mod I did was the BMR CB005. Good mod, very worth it. Tightened up the lateral wiggle I was feeling, but brought to the forefront the soft dampers. And, yes, the CB005 does add NVH. You do indeed hear more road noise, and can feel road imperfections more. Think driving on feathered tires from a car that has toe issues; that is what you hear with the CB005. Do note that this should not prevent you from installing the CB005 - it is a great, well designed and engineered mod!!!!

Then the Pro-Actions. Very good body control, even with the base GT springs. I was concerned about this setup being overdamped, but so far the car has not been hopping around on the road.

Ride quality is stiffer, but to my backside, not overly so. It slows down the roll transition for sure. The car now feels planted and taut. The squat under heavy, sudden acceleration is gone. I cannot comment on road course performance as I have not been to a track day with this new setup yet, but I think it will work well.

I'm very happy that I did not go with the lowering springs at this point in time. I think that with less travel and stiffer rates, it would really make this a none daily driver...for me. Everybody has a different tolerance for this stuff though.

Very pleased with them!
Sponsored