x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Just try resetting the mirror and see if it works. What has probably happened is that the glass is hitting the side of the housing but the motor is still trying to move it.
Sponsored

cpelaez1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black 5.0 Vert
Mine does the same thing.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I've been to the dealership twice. They have never seen it. They tried to adjust the mirrors, but it did nothing. About 5-6 times a week, when I open my drivers side door either the drivers or passengers mirror automatically moves to an extreme position and starts clicking like crazy. Most of the time, when the sync system is done rebooting it will stop. The mirror however stays in an extreme position. Hitting the memory 1 will then adjust it back to normal.

I'm currently waiting for the dealership to hear back from ford as they submitted my videos.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Sub’d

First time today fir me...

Any fix yet?

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The replaced the mirror motors and everything went back to normal...until a few months ago when it started up again. The hotter it gets, the more it seems to happen. I'm going back to the dealer next week.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Mine did this for the first year I had it. After getting tuned and reflashing the ECU / disconnecting the battery for a day and then reprogramming my seat/mirror settings it hasn't happened again.

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
There are two moving parts to the mirror system. The motor and the gears. The motor will move as long as it gets power. The gears are what position the glass. The gears can only move so far. The motor can move forever. The motor is what has memory. The gears are mechanical. What has happened is that the glass has been moved without the motor being moved. So when the computer tries to move the mirror it is reaching max travel on the gears before the motor stops moving. The only way to fix this is to recenter the motor with the buttons and then to recenter the glass mechanically by physically moving the glass.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Head up. After 8 trips to the dealer (for just the mirrors), I traded the mustang in for a silverado.

I spoke with a field engineer and Ford does not have a fix. I believe the issue lies with the mirror motor/boards. There is a potentiometer contact that gets worn off and the mirror loses the ability (sometimes) to detect where it's positioned. They don't have a way to officially diagnose this issue as it happens before the computer boots up. You can however physically see the wear when you disassemble.

Here is a list what was completed over the past 2 years:
Mirrors adjusted
Drivers side computer module replaced
Mirror motor assemblies replaced
Wiring harnesses tested and probed
Passenger side computer module replaced
Mirror motor assemblies replaced (again). One of the mirror assemblies came DOA, so they had to ship another.

The last one fixed it...but most likely temporarily. They did the same thing a while ago and it was fine over last winter. Once the summer heat started kicking in, it did it again. Because there are no new part numbers for any of these, I fully expect this to continue.

All of this was of course the final straw. My intake manifold was cracked and replaced, my heated seats broke and were replaced, my cooled seats were broke and replaced and my A/C compressor broke and was replaced.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck for those with the same issue.

MetalCord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've had this issue with my 2018 for a little while. I'll unlock the car by touching the handle or hitting the key fob button and I'll start hearing a mechanical clicking. The first two times it happened I didn't know what to make of it. I finally noticed on the third incident that my driver side mirror was pointing all the way left and just popping in and out as if I was holding down the left adjustment button after it was already at "maximum left". If I engage the mirror controls or manually press my preset, it immediately stops. Once I saw the problem for myself, I started looking for patterns as it doesn't happen all the time. I noticed it seemed to happen frequently after the wife drives. Then I realized that this didn't happen at all until I linked my key fob to my preset. Yesterday, (and before even finding this thread) I unlinked my fob to see if that helps. I'll try to post an update if I go a while without seeing this happen.

Sponsored

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
any updates from anyone about a fix on this, mine does it randomly about 6 times a month on both mirrors. I am not going to "unlink" my key fob to get around a problem that needs to be fixed. My wife and I both drive the car and I like the fact the mirrors move for us. I am going to go out though and try to recenter the mirrors to see if that helps.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Replacing the mirrors seems to be the only fix. And because there is no new part number, it's likely to happen again (it did to me).

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Glad I found this thread. I have a 17 GT prem 401a that has done this twice with passenger mirror since I got the car in April.

Not very reassuring. I love the car but this better not be a sign.

kaibab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big D
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt convertible California special
When I unlock the car, the side view mirrors (sometimes the left sometimes the right) start clicking. Looking at the mirror it is attempting to set the position of the mirror where I had it programmed, but it seems to stick when it reaches the top position and just keep trying to go higher. I remember somebody here had posted a video of it happening, but I can't locate it. To my knowledge there isn't a service bulletin to the dealers on this. Has anyone found a fix to this issue? Thanks.
I have this same issue on mine. Happens about 1-2 times a month. Always when using the presets to go back to a certain position. I have a preset for driving and one for backing up (lowered mirrors to see curb) and swapping them is when I see this happen.
I had the same issue on my 15 vert and now my 16 vert. I found that pressing the drivers setting twice clears the mirror clicking.

BurnCycle

I drank what?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Quietly raising hand in the back... This also happens to me with my 2016 premium... From time to time.
Sponsored