zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
damn that is a whole lot of miles you put on that car. you are pretty smart to figure this stuff out, curious if you are an engineer?
Last semester at University of Maryland for Mechanical Engineering (which explains the miles since I commute from Southern Maryland)! :thumbsup:
Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Finally an update! Hopefully will have more soon!
20170811_212213.jpg

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Test fitted the fenders today and am very impressed. With a bit of massaging (a benefit to these being metal) I was able to get them fitting as good if not slightly better in some areas then the OEM fenders!
20170813_131922.jpg
20170813_131932.jpg
20170813_131948.jpg

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Test fitted the fenders today and am very impressed. With a bit of massaging (a benefit to these being metal) I was able to get them fitting as good if not slightly better in some areas then the OEM fenders!
Very cool! Can't wait to see the car when finished! Will you be changing wheels as well!? Perhaps to 19"? 20"?

Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Very cool! Can't wait to see the car when finished! Will you be changing wheels as well!? Perhaps to 19"? 20"?
Most likely in the future! But for this year I have something big planned that will take up most of the funds... :gossip: Coyote :ninja:

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Ok so lots of parts on their way!

Suspension upgrades including GT PP dampers, BMR SP080 springs, new front control arms, sway bar end links, and a bmr cradle lockout to name a few.

I also ordered this today in conjunction with a manual shift boot to replace my aging shifter. (black plastic chipping and delaminating)

https://www.bartonshifters.com/shop...ts/auto-trans-shift-knob-fits-2015-17-mustang

Now I need to find a set of GT CS wheels locally...

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Most likely in the future! But for this year I have something big planned that will take up most of the funds... :gossip: Coyote :ninja:
You're putting in a V8? Sounds very expensive especially when you could just buy a GT with all the things you put into your awesome car.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
You're putting in a V8? Sounds very expensive especially when you could just buy a GT with all the things you put into your awesome car.
I was originally considering a coyote swap yes but I have adjusted my goals slightly after actually driving a GT. I wasn't really impressed with the car.... It felt heavy and didn't have much more low end then the V6 had. I am sure with the usual bolt ons it would get a lot better but that still didn't solve the weight problem.

So moving forward I hope to tackle the 3.5 ecoboost swap. I am either going to have custom headers made for the swap using f150 turbos or I might mount the turbos in the OEM cat location and use two left side turbos from a taurus or flex transverse 3.5. Using that turbo I can fab up a mid pipe connector from the BBK shorty headers I have to the turbo and then have 3" pipe straight out of the turbo into an aftermarket 3" GT exhaust system. Having the turbos mounted further downstream I am hoping will alleviate some of the sizing/efficiency issues that the OEM 3.5 turbos have on a 3.7.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was originally considering a coyote swap yes but I have adjusted my goals slightly after actually driving a GT. I wasn't really impressed with the car.... It felt heavy and didn't have much more low end then the V6 had. I am sure with the usual bolt ons it would get a lot better but that still didn't solve the weight problem.

So moving forward I hope to tackle the 3.5 ecoboost swap. I am either going to have custom headers made for the swap using f150 turbos or I might mount the turbos in the OEM cat location and use two left side turbos from a taurus or flex transverse 3.5. Using that turbo I can fab up a mid pipe connector from the BBK shorty headers I have to the turbo and then have 3" pipe straight out of the turbo into an aftermarket 3" GT exhaust system. Having the turbos mounted further downstream I am hoping will alleviate some of the sizing/efficiency issues that the OEM 3.5 turbos have on a 3.7.
Did you drive a GT PP? Also, a tuned GT feels quite different, FYI.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Did you drive a GT PP? Also, a tuned GT feels quite different, FYI.
I did not since they did not have one on the lot. I am sure a tuned GT feels much better then what I drove but it doesn't solve the weight problem for me... I guess I have just become to accustom to the lightweight V6 nose... The V8 just felt like a bigger car and that is not something I liked.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I did not since they did not have one on the lot. I am sure a tuned GT feels much better then what I drove but it doesn't solve the weight problem for me... I guess I have just become to accustom to the lightweight V6 nose... The V8 just felt like a bigger car and that is not something I liked.
It's fairly easy to fix with suspension, but I completely understand what you mean :)

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
It's fairly easy to fix with suspension, but I completely understand what you mean :)
Haha yea I want my cars to feel lighter and more nimble which I am hoping the suspension upgrades will do for me! :thumbsup:

After I get the suspension mods completed I hope to go full steam into the turbo setup. Odd thing is that there seems to be a real shortage of used left side turbos from a taurus or flex ecoboost. Not sure what that is all about but if I do decide to go with this turbo instead of the f150 turbo then It looks like I will have to order directly from Ford.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Seems like you have your mind made up, but wouldn't a coyote weigh roughly the same as V6+Turbo? I'm not sure how accurate this is, but my google-fu shows the 3.5 eco at 449lbs, and the coyote at 444.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Seems like you have your mind made up, but wouldn't a coyote weigh roughly the same as V6+Turbo? I'm not sure how accurate this is, but my google-fu shows the 3.5 eco at 449lbs, and the coyote at 444.
I am sure those numbers are pretty accurate. The difference between the two would be that with the turbo setup I can distribute the weight differently then a coyote. A coyote engine has a relatively high CG due to the DOHC design and all 444lbs are concentrated in a single area with that high CG. A turbo setup allows for flexibility in how the weight is distributed. So I can choose to mount the turbos and FMIC (the two most heavy components in a turbo setup) low to lower the CG of the entire assembly. I could even choose to mount the turbos in the rear of the vehicle for a rear mounted turbo setup.

So while the weight wouldn't be much different, the weight would be distributed differently which should help. Add to that the fact that I should have far greater low end power the a coyote and the weight penalty shouldn't be to bad. Plus I am sure most of the weight of the 3.5 comes from the crazy heavy cast iron exhaust manifolds! These things weight almost 40lbs alone....
Sponsored