BORLA® Exhaust for the GT350

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWORLDSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra, '18 GT350
Initial start after FRP/Borla cat back install. Switched to sport mode at the :50 second mark. The shriek is too much for the microphone on my cell and emasculates the sound at :58 seconds. This system screams near redline in loud mode. Beyond that it is completely docile.

Really like the sound! It doesn't sound dramatically different from stock like some of the other systems, but is clearly much more throaty.

Were you able to measure the inner diameter at all? I'm curious if this maintains 2.75'' throughout as claimed, particularly at the valve area.
Sponsored

JoelinNOVA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 R
David,
Why is this exhaust roughly $1000 more than the GT version? I know it has the adjustable valves and NO Chrome tips but $1000 for 2 valves? What am I missing?
Thanks!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
David,
Why is this exhaust roughly $1000 more than the GT version? I know it has the adjustable valves and NO Chrome tips but $1000 for 2 valves? What am I missing?
Thanks!
Pretty simple really. Return on investment.

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
David,
Thanks!
For clarification, I'm comparing Borla part numbers 140684 (GT350 ATAK) with 140591 (GT ATAK) in this response.

I can see how similar they look from the final assembly pictures on our website and it makes sense that you'd ask this question.

With that said, the presence of valves adds more cost than just the cost of the valves themselves. That's because each muffler on the GT350 is a bi-modal muffler, meaning there are two separate and distinct paths within each muffler. From a labor cost perspective it's essentially like having 4 mufflers instead of two. What looks like one sound attenuation device on each side is actually two sound attenuation devices on each side. We just packaged them to have a clean look.

Remember that our parts are made by hand in our factory in Tennessee, 100% USA made, so labor is expensive. The sophistication and detail within the GT350 mufflers adds significant labor time which of course equals a proportional increase in cost. Anyone in manufacturing can tell you that fully loaded labor costs in The U.S. are unusually high. On average in The U.S. you need to add a minimum of roughly 35% to the hourly wage to get the fully burdened labor cost.

There are cost differences in material as well. Not just the valves, which are really expensive, but also the material necessary to create 2 different paths within the mufflers. For one thing, as you might imagine, each GT350 muffler requires a Y-Pipe to achieve the bi-modal function. From the outside the mufflers look virtually identical, but if you cut them open you'll see how different they really are.

Lastly, and to a lesser extent, development cost is a component of this price difference as well. Again due to the bi-modal exhaust function, development on the GT350 was more intense, time consuming and ultimately much more expensive than it was on the GT. Development cost is normally amortized over the useful life of the product meaning the price of each system we sell includes a portion of this development cost. The production numbers of the GT350 are much lower than the GT, they make far fewer of them, which in the context of this conversation means we sell fewer of them so this development cost isn't as spread out as it is for The GT. In an nutshell, development cost is higher and there are fewer sales through which to recoup this development cost.

We apply the same gross margin percentage to every system we offer. It's our cost that creates the discrepancies in pricing.

Sponsored

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
For clarification, I'm comparing Borla part numbers 140684 (GT350 ATAK) with 140591 (GT ATAK) in this response.

I can see how similar they look from the final assembly pictures on our website and it makes sense that you'd ask this question.

With that said, the presence of valves adds more cost than just the cost of the valves themselves. That's because each muffler on the GT350 is a bi-modal muffler, meaning there are two separate and distinct paths within each muffler. From a labor cost perspective it's essentially like having 4 mufflers instead of two. What looks like one sound attenuation device on each side is actually two sound attenuation devices on each side. We just packaged them to have a clean look.

Remember that our parts are made by hand in our factory in Tennessee, 100% USA made, so labor is expensive. The sophistication and detail within the GT350 mufflers adds significant labor time which of course equals a proportional increase in cost. Anyone in manufacturing can tell you that fully loaded labor costs in The U.S. are unusually high. On average in The U.S. you need to add a minimum of roughly 35% to the hourly wage to get the fully burdened labor cost.

There are cost differences in material as well. Not just the valves, which are really expensive, but also the material necessary to create 2 different paths within the mufflers. For one thing, as you might imagine, each GT350 muffler requires a Y-Pipe to achieve the bi-modal function. From the outside the mufflers look virtually identical, but if you cut them open you'll see how different they really are.

Lastly, and to a lesser extent, development cost is a component of this price difference as well. Again due to the bi-modal exhaust function, development on the GT350 was more intense, time consuming and ultimately much more expensive than it was on the GT. Development cost is normally amortized over the useful life of the product meaning the price of each system we sell includes a portion of this development cost. The production numbers of the GT350 are much lower than the GT, they make far fewer of them, which in the context of this conversation means we sell fewer of them so this development cost isn't as spread out as it is for The GT. In an nutshell, development cost is higher and there are fewer sales through which to recoup this development cost.

We apply the same gross margin percentage to every system we offer. It's our cost that creates the discrepancies in pricing.
Forgot to mention that the GT350 system is larger in diameter (2.75") than the GT system (2.5") which affects the cost of the entire system.

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
Forgot to mention that the GT350 system is larger in diameter (2.75") than the GT system (2.5") which affects the cost of the entire system.
Do you a have a system that is not always on full ATAK mode? See what I'd did there :headbonk: Anyway, my preference would be one that would be somewhat quiet when in normal mode and normal driving but awesome when getting on it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The Ford Racing system, made by Borla.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Stock system, first half of the clip is in normal mode and second half in sport mode.

[ame]

Ford Racing/Borla system, same mode split.

[ame]

Sponsored

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
Stock system, first half of the clip is in normal mode and second half in sport mode.

Thanks for the vids! Leads to 2 questions...(1) any drone with the FP/Borla, and (2) are there hp and tq gains with the FP/Borla?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Thanks for the vids! Leads to 2 questions...(1) any drone with the FP/Borla, and (2) are there hp and tq gains with the FP/Borla?
The only gains advertised by Borla are for the Atak. I would say they are probably close in terms of power gains and both systems are significantly lighter than stock.

stang302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

Thanks for that. In person, are you able to say how close normal mode of the FP system is to loud mode of the stock system? The Borla atak normal is said to be about the same as stock loud.

Baginoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350

Sorry if im behind on this post, but is this connected to stock cats? Sounds great! :headbang:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.