Sponsored

NJ Inspection

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I'm looking at doing headers on my car. For inspection reasons I was told that Kooks Headers with Green Catts will be my best option. Those things are pricey though. Anyone know of any less expensive options that will allow me to pass? I know sometimes people can fine "a guy" just to turn the other cheek too.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
In NJ, there's no such thing as finding someone to turn the other cheek. That might go over in PA, where you can have a garage do the inspection, but in NJ, they plug the car into the OBD scanner. If they see there are no downstream O2 sensors, or that they're not ready, you won't pass. They no longer do emissions testing on newer vehicles, but do a visual inspection for cats.

JR

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Let's address some of your concerns:

1) You have a new vehicle and it should have a white Dealer sticker on the windshield in place of a State issued "inspection sticker". In NJ, that means your car is and should be exempt from ANY inspections for (5) years from the date/year of purchase. So if you purchased or leased a brand new vehicle in 2015, it's not required to go through ANY inspection procedures until year 2020.

2) As of May 2015, all vehicles in the State of NJ that are 1995 and OLDER are no longer required to go through any inspection procedures at all - emissions or other. The State no longer requires those vehicles to retain any type of inspection sticker on the windshield - UNLESS the car is registered as a Collector vehicle, is of a certain make/model and/or exceeds a certain weight class.
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Inspections/FAQinspection.pdf

Even though the State has passed the new laws under item #2 above (and per the linked PDF), any motor vehicle produced after 1977 is still required by Federal Laws to retain its factory emissions equipment. Although emissions are no longer tested for anything 1995 and older, the loophole is - by law, if there is a reason for your vehicle to be pulled over for a motor vehicle violation and it's determined to be for an equipment issue (i.e.: visual inspection) or a noise violation (i.e.: exhaust too loud), the owner is still subject to those NJ Statues still governed by the laws on the books and could be fined.

If the question is:
Can I run any type of exhaust (or open exhaust) in NJ without risk?
The answer would be: No, HOWEVER, if you decide to do it, you're doing it at your own risk with chances of being caught IF you're sporadically chosen out of a herd of thousands of vehicles in or around NJ.

Do people do it anyway? They sure do!

3) Private owned garages who have access to NJ State Inspection decals will NOT risk their Business reputation or immediate revocation of their operating licenses IF caught passing vehicles (1996-current year) through emissions for a sticker IF in fact those same vehicles would never pass the normal process. It's no joke - if a business is reported or caught on a surprise undercover audit and there are cars being passed as such, the State will shut them down and they will be fined. The shops that used to exist like this 10-15yrs ago are either gone OR those still around will not participate in such actions due to fear of losing their Business.

So, with the above knowledge, it looks like you have a 2016 - enjoy 5yrs of freedom, then worry about your exhaust mods in 2020/2021... by then, the laws will probably be different again... :)

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
In Delaware when you buy a new vehicle they give you 5 years Before it has to be inspected.

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
So, with the above knowledge, it looks like you have a 2016 - enjoy 5yrs of freedom, then worry about your exhaust mods in 2020/2021... by then, the laws will probably be different again... :)
That's what I decided to do.

In 5 years I'll figure it out then. May not be even living in NJ by then.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been keeping my cars for 5 years then selling them or trading them in on the latest stang. By then i owe nothing on them so I avoid inspection! My last 2012 mustang sold for $26k. Its worked out great for me over the years!
Sponsored