2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com 145 - Carbon 2 Carbon - 1
2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com
Homepage Wiki MOTM Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Ford Bronco Forum Calendar Garage

Go Back   2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com > Technical Subforums > I4 2.3L EcoBoost Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning

I4 2.3L EcoBoost Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning Discussions of the inline-4 cylinder 2.3L turbo EcoBoost engine and engine/exhaust/bolt-on modifications.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #16
JonD

Drives: 2017 EcoBoost
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #17
lizardrko

Drives: 2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just a question but how come everyone on this thread is pretty much recommending the factory oil, but on many other threads (like threads about performance, tunes, etc), people such as pro tuners say the factory oil is crap and recommend brands like royal purple and others to get the best life/performance on our engines? There isn't much consistency in these answers. Best thing to do is research all these threads and pick accordingly. Obviously the factory oil will do fine for daily drivers, but there is always something better.
lizardrko is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old 01-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #18
JonD

Drives: 2017 EcoBoost
The issue is with those who have knowledge but would rather not help because they feel there are too many threads on a topic and you get the same old forum rhetoric.
Honestly go with what you can always get as a quality synthetic oil & doesn't ruin your wallet. Show me a thread where somebody proved a synthetic oil ruin their motor
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old 01-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #19
Ebm

Name: Drew
Drives: '16. Eco
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Yes, oil is personal preference. The debate over oil is just as bad as picking a new president. People go crazy. Many people go with what's in the manual in case of warranty issues. As long as your oil meets specs, you're fine. These days a synthetic oil is a synthetic oil... Some companies have brand loyalty and some companies have better marketing. The oil is all the same. Don't get caught up in someone's bias review. There are people on here who would love to sway your opinion. But at the end of the day, it's your car and you pay the bill for your car. So in conclusion... Get any 5w30 full synthetic or synthetic blend that meets oil specs for our car.
Ebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #20
LuckyJerk

Name: Michael
Drives: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by klineka View Post
Is there any particular reason you choose 3000 miles/6 months? Ive seen people go as far as 10k miles and 1 year and have posted near perfect oil evaluation scores. I'm at just over 5k miles on mine and my oil life monitor is around 40%. Not quite sure when I'm going to change mine
Been doing it since my first car. Just the way I was taught. In my eyes doing more frequent maintenance doesn't hurt the car. IF anything it would be better. Sure it will cost a bit more money but I would rather pay more for piece of mind then push the miles close to 10k before the change. Also I don't drive it everyday. mostly on weekends and some days to work (that's why I have a daily Jeep for that duty - almost 30K miles a year) so the oil just sits in the pan. Also I might do 6k - 9k miles a year so two or three oil changes don't hurt the bank. Plus I do it myself so there in no fee for someone else to do the work.
LuckyJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #21
LuckyJerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef jpd View Post
Yup this was the guy who taught me!!!
Users thanking this:
Ebm
Old 01-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #22
LuckyJerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebm View Post
I don't doubt it's highly regarded.

But bro, you lied to me. Motorcraft oil is a little over $20 and it's out of stock everywhere... Including their website and any store within 200 miles of me. I don't like being lied to.

Also, to the guy above that changes every 3,000 miles... You sure you aren't driving a 70s or 80s Mustang? You sure it's an S550? Might as well light money on fire. What a waste. And people wonder why oil is running out so quickly...
^^^ to the reply to klineka

Wait your telling me this is not the SVO foxbody forms??
Like I said above I maybe do 2 to 3 oil changes a year done myself so cost isn't much.
Users thanking this:
Ebm
Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #23
tcman54
Stanghead

Name: Terry
Drives: 2016 Ecoboost
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyJerk View Post
Been doing it since my first car. Just the way I was taught. In my eyes doing more frequent maintenance doesn't hurt the car. IF anything it would be better. Sure it will cost a bit more money but I would rather pay more for piece of mind then push the miles close to 10k before the change. Also I don't drive it everyday. mostly on weekends and some days to work (that's why I have a daily Jeep for that duty - almost 30K miles a year) so the oil just sits in the pan. Also I might do 6k - 9k miles a year so two or three oil changes don't hurt the bank. Plus I do it myself so there in no fee for someone else to do the work.
The Ford dealer where I bought my Ecoboost recommeded 5,000 miles between oil changes, they were pretty insistent on it, no less no more, lol.

TC
Mods: Kicker Speakers / ASWF Performer Tint / Redline Hood Strut Kit / Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace Kit / Steeda Jack Rails/G2 Brake Caliper Paint & Decals / Steeda Progressive Sport Springs / Steeda Subframe Bushings / Steeda Subframe Alignment Sleeves / Ford Racing Jounce Bumpers /AEM Dryflow Air Fliter/ JMS Pedalmax Throttle Enhancement Device / Ford Racing Taillight Deck Lid Without Emblem/ 2.3 Fender Badging/ Mishimoto Oil Separator/ Flowmaster Scavenger Series Y-pipe (resonator delete)/ Moddiction 8" infotainment System With Nav/ MAP Street Intercooler
tcman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #24
EAndre

Name: E
Drives: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcman54 View Post
The Ford dealer where I bought my Ecoboost recommeded 5,000 miles between oil changes, they were pretty insistent on it, no less no more, lol.

TC
Money maker for them
16 Base 4 Banger 6MT 3.31 Gears | GT350 Steering | Recaro Seats | FR Deck Lid | PP 19" | Tune + | Drop In w/ MIT Pipe | Denso Plugs | UPR Dual CC | CP-E FMIC | 304 Catback | Vargas Stage II Twin Scroll Turbo |
EAndre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #25
lizardrko

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAndre View Post
Money maker for them
Ive heard they actually lose money on oil changes since they also top off fluids, full point inspection, rotate tires, etc. The main objective of the oil changes is to find problems with cars during the inspection since the fixes will probably cost more money. Thats where they make their money.

Also, since our cars are turbo'd, it probably wouldnt hurt to get oil changes a bit more frequently than the average car. And an oil change is what $40 at ford?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #26
klineka

Drives: 2015 Ecoboost Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardrko View Post

Also, since our cars are turbo'd, it probably wouldnt hurt to get oil changes a bit more frequently than the average car. And an oil change is what $40 at ford?
Can you explain how a turbo car would benefit from more frequent oil changes compared to a NA car? Correct me if I'm wrong, but no oil enters the turbo at all right? This is my first turbo car so trying to learn as much as I can about how they work and proper procedures to follow.
2015 Ecoboost Premium - A/T | Diode Dynamics Interior LEDs | Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Sidemarkers | Redline Hood Struts| Green Drop-in Filter | Black Badges | Bremmer Kraft BR12 Titanium Gunmetal Wheels | Continental WinterContact SI Tires
klineka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #27
lizardrko

Quote:
Can you explain how a turbo car would benefit from more frequent oil changes compared to a NA car? Correct me if I'm wrong, but no oil enters the turbo at all right? This is my first turbo car so trying to learn as much as I can about how they work and proper procedures to follow.
I would start looking here http://procarmechanics.com/do-turboc...-more-service/. It pretty sums up my thoughts. Im sure others have different opinions, but theres nothing wrong with keeping on top of everything.
Users thanking this:
Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #28
Chef jpd

Name: John
Drives: 2016 EB P PP CO
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The turbo bearings and center shaft have a constant flow of oil keeping them cool and lubricated. Take a look at the turbo and you can see the oil feed and drain lines. The turbo spins at upwards of 100,000 rpm.
The oil gets much hotter around the turbo than a NA car. Old school turbos used to cook the oil after engine shut down because of the heat.
Some of the big turbo guys used to have turbo timers that would keep the engine or oil pump running for a few minutes after shutdown to prevent bearing seizure.

Not as much of an issue today, but the oil does take a bit more of a beating in a turbo engine.
Hope this makes sense.
Tune+, Mountune, MBRP DP,Stanginator, Full Raxiom & Oracle LED, Turbosmart things, BMR butt fix, Roush & MMR aero, Niche Essen,DWS. Polk/Rockford audio. CS splitter. CPE. Steeda trinkets. GT tidbits, Stoptech.
Chef jpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Users thanking this:
Old 01-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #29
LuckyJerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef jpd View Post
The turbo bearings and center shaft have a constant flow of oil keeping them cool and lubricated. Take a look at the turbo and you can see the oil feed and drain lines. The turbo spins at upwards of 100,000 rpm.
The oil gets much hotter around the turbo than a NA car. Old school turbos used to cook the oil after engine shut down because of the heat.
Some of the big turbo guys used to have turbo timers that would keep the engine or oil pump running for a few minutes after shutdown to prevent bearing seizure.

Not as much of an issue today, but the oil does take a bit more of a beating in a turbo engine.
Hope this makes sense.
^^^^^^this!!!!!

If there is a moving part that's metal it needs lubrication!
Old 01-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #30
Ebm

Name: Drew
Drives: '16. Eco
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Just to add, I've had a few turbo'd cars before this one. The old turbo'd cars could suffer from oil coking. When you would run the car hard and then immediately shut it off without proper cool down. But with todays turbo'd cars, they are also cooled by coolant, so this cooling down period isn't needed anymore unless you were on the track.

I used to own a TDI that got 15k to 20k oil changes. Car had 242k miles when I sold it and it's still going strong for the next owner. People shouldn't be so fearful of longer intervals. Save your money. I wouldn't hesitate to go 10k miles in my Mustang on full synthetic. But I'm just going to go by the oil change monitor that the car has built in. Drive more, worry less.
Ebm is offline   Reply With Quote