Sponsored

Whipple and Adaptive Cruise Control

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I am almost done doing my Whipple install (plus OPG and crank sprocket) and realized that my sensor under the bumper support does not fit.

I emailed whipple and they said that even with the large heat exchanger it will fit but is a very tight space. I can't see this fitting after holding it up a few different ways unless I hack up the bracket.

Has anyone installed theirs and can you take a picture or two and post it up here to give me an idea what I need to do? I'd hate to hack up the bracket if I don't need to.
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
It doesn’t fit. I don’t think they’ve actually tried it themselves.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
So I called and talked to tech again yesterday and apparently their guru is William Rollins - who says it will work but with only about an 1/8" to spare. I got under there and ended up chopping the long support arm off the radar bracket and force fitting the sensor under the bumper and got it to mount up. Then I used an ignition wrench and torx bit to dial it down a smidge so it was pointed like pre-Whipple install. It seems to be working and I have my cruise control back and no more pop up warning every time I get in the car about not having collision avoidance.

If you're in the same boat I was trying to make it work, the angle of these pictures will make perfect sense. There might be a way to keep from modifying the bracket but I wasn't pulling the bumper off and taking apart the whole reservoir system to do it.

In short - you can make it work - but I had to force the heat exchanger back by hand to get it in there, and the top of the bracket makes contact no matter what I do.

IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0671.jpg
IMG_0672.jpg
IMG_0673.jpg
IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg

Last edited:

Joelang33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Whippled 16 Mustang GT Premium PP
this is very helpful. having the same issue. is there a way to just deactivate the warning message ? and forget about the sensor?

Sponsored

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
My adaptive cruise warning pops up constantly and it doesn’t seem to work anymore but then it will out of the blue. It almost always tells me “collision warning not available” and cruise control won’t function.

I’m not sure who to call or how to fix it - I wish Whipple would step in and help us out. It’s the one thing about his kit that’s not a positive. Not that many people are affected though I guess since ACC isn’t that common of a feature.

If you unplug it, it throws an error code. I e been under the car a dozen times trying to adjust the angle but it’s blind mans work since I have no idea if I’m making it better or worse. I wonder if the dealer can adjust it properly?

Joelang33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Whippled 16 Mustang GT Premium PP
My adaptive cruise warning pops up constantly and it doesn’t seem to work anymore but then it will out of the blue. It almost always tells me “collision warning not available” and cruise control won’t function.

I’m not sure who to call or how to fix it - I wish Whipple would step in and help us out. It’s the one thing about his kit that’s not a positive. Not that many people are affected though I guess since ACC isn’t that common of a feature.

If you unplug it, it throws an error code. I e been under the car a dozen times trying to adjust the angle but it’s blind mans work since I have no idea if I’m making it better or worse. I wonder if the dealer can adjust it properly?
im going to reach out to a Ford tech that I know and see if he can help me. id be happy if I could just turn off the warning message and forget about the cruise control. again, its not the end of the world, just annoying to have that message always popping up. :frusty:

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Mine sorta worked for a while after I cut the bracket off and kinda ghetto rigged the sensor in there, but it has since stopped working again and I'm not real keen on taking the belly pan off again to get access to it.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Yeah those 17 screws and 6 push pins on ramps every single adjustment are aggravating. And if I leave it off, it never fails, it rains.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Has this only been a problem with the larger heat exchanger?

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I’m not sure. Whipple says it works fine but I’ve never seen any pictures or posts of them having a car on which it works. I’ve only ever had the larger heat exchanger.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Anytime you move that sensor it needs to be recalibrated. Even if you take it off and put it back on in the same spot. I work at a pretty large bodyshop, and have a couple pretty good aftermarket scan tools, and we still send any radar or blindspot systems to their respective dealers for reprogramming.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Anytime you move that sensor it needs to be recalibrated. Even if you take it off and put it back on in the same spot. I work at a pretty large bodyshop, and have a couple pretty good aftermarket scan tools, and we still send any radar or blindspot systems to their respective dealers for reprogramming.
That’s good info thanks man. Maybe I’ll call ford and see what they need to do to reprogram it .

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I called a few dealers and an electronics shop that does this service for collision shops. They range in price from $110 to “at least $250 or more” according to the quotes I tried to get. All of them said they need the car all day to get it done. Except one who said yeah it’s straightforward and shouldn’t take more than an hour or two for $110. I’ll be going there Monday a.m. and will let you know.
Sponsored