Sponsored

New Whipple Massive Heat Exchanger w/ Fan Delete

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I didn't mean to lock up this thread. If I came off as an ass it was not my intention. I just want to know what pump would be best for the larger heat exchanger. I would imagine Mr. Whipple's answer would be the High Flow Intercooler Pump with pigtail and I would ask if it's a direct connect for the Roush setup I have.
Our pump flows nearly twice as much as the standard Bosch Roush uses so its what we recommend. You can also daisy chain them to increase flow about 30% more.
Sponsored

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Our pump flows nearly twice as much as the standard Bosch Roush uses so its what we recommend. You can also daisy chain them to increase flow about 30% more.
Do you know if I can disconnect my pump and connect yours or is there a little more work involved?

I've heard of the daisy chain but not much.
Thanks

GT_Tommy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
TVS Supercharged Premium PP
For all the TVS guys looking to run this exchanger Ken from PB Dyno has said he's going to be coming out with a complete plug and play kit complete with high flow pump. Might be worth sitting tight and seeing what he comes up with.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Is this better than the VMP triple pass with fans ?

.... If TVS guys are looking to run this,does that mean it's better than the VMP triple pass heat exchanger ?
I compared specs and they have similar thickness cores (3 vs 3.1 Whipple ) .
The Whipple is a dual pass versus the VMP 's triple pass .

I am looking to upgrade the heat exchanger that came with my 3.2 KB(no KB upgrade available ) which only has a 1.5 inch core .
Despite my ice tank I am still seeing 160 + IAT's at the end of the 1/4 -peak boost is 19-20 psi .
I am about to upgrade the pump from a Jabsco to the EMP-W 29 with LP programe but the heat exchanger probably also needs an upgrade.

The Whipple with the needed brackets would be about $700 so about the same as the VMP which comes with fans.

Anyone with any comparison data or experience with both ?

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Does y'all new pump come standard now or do you still need to buy separately?

Sponsored

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
.... If TVS guys are looking to run this,does that mean it's better than the VMP triple pass heat exchanger ?
I compared specs and they have similar thickness cores (3 vs 3.1 Whipple ) .
The Whipple is a dual pass versus the VMP 's triple pass .

I am looking to upgrade the heat exchanger that came with my 3.2 KB(no KB upgrade available ) which only has a 1.5 inch core .
Despite my ice tank I am still seeing 160 + IAT's at the end of the 1/4 -peak boost is 19-20 psi .
I am about to upgrade the pump from a Jabsco to the EMP-W 29 with LP programe but the heat exchanger probably also needs an upgrade.

The Whipple with the needed brackets would be about $700 so about the same as the VMP which comes with fans.

Anyone with any comparison data or experience with both ?
This is quite a bit larger overall than the VMP.

A triple pass has 64x the pressure to get the same flow as a single pass. With a little IC pump, that's a horrible recipe. If you have a big pump, you can flow through better, but you still slowed down the water through the IC core which is not ideal. That water flow trumps water flow through the heat exchanger.

Fans above 10mph are just in the way.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Does y'all new pump come standard now or do you still need to buy separately?
Been standard for over a 1 year. The bosch pump was dropped like yesterdays taco bell the minute we found a better solution. Meanwhile, others keep saying its great because the 1999 Ford Lightning used it... :)

Evilwill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Been standard for over a 1 year. The bosch pump was dropped like yesterdays taco bell the minute we found a better solution. Meanwhile, others keep saying its great because the 1999 Ford Lightning used it... :)
So how would one go about daisy chaining two of them?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
This is quite a bit larger overall than the VMP.

A triple pass has 64x the pressure to get the same flow as a single pass. With a little IC pump, that's a horrible recipe. If you have a big pump, you can flow through better, but you still slowed down the water through the IC core which is not ideal. That water flow trumps water flow through the heat exchanger.

Fans above 10mph are just in the way.
Thanks man.
I think I am sold on the Whipple .I had the VMP on my 12 and had trouble with the wiring for the fans - ran all the time .The Whipple is also actually still cheaper even with the brackets($700 vs $800)

I have a 5 gallon ice tank and will be upgrading the pump to the EWP-32 -LP programmed to flow more(stock is 32 GPM).
What do you think is the best way to route the ice/cold water ?

To the intercooler first and then heat exchanger or vice versa before going back to the tank?
I think it's routed first to the intercooler now .

Right now on the street starting with luke warm water after 10 mins of normal street driving the water is hot .

At the track after a 148 mph pass@ 19 psi of boost , starting with ice water it was still cold at the end of the pass but IAT's were still up there.