Sponsored

Green Filter for GT350 installed, with pics

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
I decided to order a Green Filter off Amazon, since my stock paper one was starting to look pretty bad. Per my previous thread on the subject, it looks like no one on the forum has installed one yet, so I thought I'd be the guinea pig and take some photos while I was at it.

The filter is item number 7201, and you can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PXWZRPI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On to the install...

It arrived in a box with some stickers and a warranty card plus the filter maintenance instructions.

green1.jpg

It was nicely wrapped in plastic.

green2.jpg

The fit and finish on the filter is nice. It looks well-made. It's sturdy, the rubber is high quality and the filter material has a nice feel to it.

green3.jpg

green4.jpg

green5.jpg

green6.jpg

green7.jpg

Here's a shot of the filter held up to the light on my kitchen ceiling. You can easily see the light shining through both sides of the filter material. It looks like it's quite open.

green8.jpg

Here's the stock paper filter still in the airbox in the car:

green9.jpg

This filter went into the car just after Jan 1 of this year. It's looking pretty ill. Lets yank that thing and clean up the airbox while we're at it.

The removed filter. Nasty.

green10.jpg

Here's the inside of the stock paper filter, for the sake of comparison:

green11.jpg

Looks kinda cheap.

Here's a photo of the stock filter held up to the sun. Yes, the afternoon sun is directly behind the paper filter in this photo and you can't even tell:

green12.jpg

As a comparison, here's a shot of the Green Filter in the exact same spot. You can clearly see the sunlight through it, no problem:

green14.jpg

Green filter before installation side by side with the paper filter. Man, that paper filter is gross.

green13.jpg

Here's a flash photo in the garage of the new filter in the airbox:

green15.jpg

And finally, a shot of the filter in natural evening sunlight, after I cleaned up the airbox with some Ultimate Tire And Trim Guard Plus:

green16.jpg

Thoughts And Subjective Impressions

The filter material on the Green Filter is vastly more open than the stock filter. Even though this filter is shorter than the stock one, there's no way in hell you're not getting better airflow through it.

You'll notice in the above photos, especially the side-by-sides, that the Green Filter is wider at the base. It's not quite a perfect fit in the airbox, you have to wrangle it a bit to get it in there.

You have to pull every one of those silver bolt things from around the sides of the bucket and on either side of the pipe where it connects in order to replace the filter to begin with. (A 10mm racheting box-end wrench or a 10mm deep socket will save you an hour here.)

Take the hose clamp off the filter to attach it to the pipe, it makes life easier. When attempting to fit the filter over the pipe, try to push on it only from the base of the filter closest to the pipe. If you push from the top you can cause the filter to bend in on itself.

Once back in, this is where you have to do the wrangling to fit the top part of the bucket back on and screw it back down, because the base width of the filter hits up against the bottom of the bucket. It's not enough that it doesn't fit, but it's something to be aware of.

Once it was on I took the car for a quick spin around the block. Does it breathe better? I'm sure it does. Is it enough to make a noticeable difference? Dunno, maybe. It kinda felt like it. I don't have any roads close to my place where I can thrash the car anyway and I don't feel like driving around at the moment.

My car's an Ecoboost with the Ford Performance tune, which comes with the GT350 intake. I don't know that the car sucks in enough air for me to notice. Maybe an actual GT350 does.

At any rate, I think it looks pretty spiffy in the engine bay. Way better than that shitty yellow paper thing.
Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Nice write up. I was thinking of getting this filter. My yellow filter will probably be done soonish. I need to take a look at it.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
At any rate, I think it looks pretty spiffy in the engine bay. Way better than that shitty yellow paper thing.
Don't keep your expectations too high on the looks of that filter, after 6 months of driving it will be a gray filter regardless of how you keep it clean.
For that reason I have decided to stick with the factory filters at $8.50 each and replace one ever 6 months.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Don't keep your expectations too high on the looks of that filter, after 6 months of driving it will be a gray filter regardless of how you keep it clean.
For that reason I have decided to stick with the factory filters at $8.50 each and replace one ever 6 months.
got a link for $8.50?

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Usually the oil filters will turn colour yes. The non oil ones will usually keep their colour, all you have to do is wash. I had a oiled Blue filter (Steeda) and a non oild blue (Airraid) and the Airaid blue always kept its colour after a wash and clean. The Steeda I had to oil and it would turn blue again.

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Usually the oil filters will turn colour yes. The non oil ones will usually keep their colour, all you have to do is wash. I had a oiled Blue filter (Steeda) and a non oild blue (Airraid) and the Airaid blue always kept its colour after a wash and clean. The Steeda I had to oil and it would turn blue again.
The color is totally gone from my Airaid filter after 6 months and 5000 miles and 2 cleanings. It was pretty when I first installed it, no oil was involved.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Doesn't the color come from the oil itself? I thought they were all made with gauze (basically white, like the oiled filters look after a good cleaning) between metal screen materiel. I guess K&Ns patent expired, as everyone now makes them the same way.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The gauze is dyed. Green makes filters for a lot of companies and dyes the gauze many different colors for them.

The Green filter I had in my Focus ST was grey, still had Green molded into the end cap. Can't recall where it came from.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The color is totally gone from my Airaid filter after 6 months and 5000 miles and 2 cleanings. It was pretty when I first installed it, no oil was involved.
Airaid makes a blue oil and a blue non oil. I had both. I had wanted the non oil but I received the oiled one, thinking it was non oiled. Same as you it turned grey. I actually spoke about it on the Forum and a Airaid rep saw it. He messaged me, and sent me a free non oiled one. It never turned colour.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I'm don't think these filter as good as the paper. The fact that you can see through them. I ran an oil K&N For awhile till I noticed and oily dust collecting on the intake runner. Also the paper filters actually catch smaller particles after the get a little dirty. Take you paper filters off and tap them on there side a newspaper until dirt stops falling off and put them back in. The gauze will pass more air as will a fresh paper, so if you need every last bit of power, but I want my intake clean.

Sponsored

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
I 2nd that lets see a link for the $8.50 until then
FAKE NEWS!!!

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought this filter with that number and it actually does not fit. The GT350 filter is slightly bigger, and I do mean slightly. But because of this this one is to small. Bought it off of amazon so doing the return.

Just a heads up for any GT350 owners.

EDIT: Came back and re-read the OP post. I did not try pulling up the bucket, but even doing so its a tight fit. Did not post the pic, but you can see the circumference of the green filter is smaller. Makes for a very very sqeeze and fit. Though I could get it on, I will still return for a airraid. That one is non oil and even has the "this way down" tab. Speaking on oil, I think the green filter is a oiled one, where I wanted a non oiled filter. So back it goes.

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, this filter is oiled.

And it does definitely fit, there's pictures of it in my car. ;)
Understand that its oiled...Def did not want a oil one. As far as the filter fitting, Your CAI may be "GT350 like" but its not the same as the GT350. There is a difference between your's (eco boost) and ours. See pic below.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Is there a back to back dyno proving the Green filter is worth the price of admission?

Someone suggested this for the Viper and I saw that the price was about $30 more than the standard filter.
Sponsored