Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Sticking to the original hypothesis the tires are not equal because Hoosier R7's would stickier than the stock "R" PSC2 tires. And while the R does have more down-force than the GT350 due to the rear wing, that down-force is only good on turns exceeding speeds of 60 MPH as the R's rear wing advantage really only comes into play on higher speed turns. It is actually a negative on long straight away's like Road America, Road Atlanta, VIR, and a few other courses.

At Road America a 2015 Porsche GT3 was about 1.5 seconds faster than my GT350, which was struggling with brake pad issues from the crappy Raybestos race pads. And the Porsche driver was no slouch by any means. The point is that I can see the R being a second faster than a stock GT350, but not a few seconds. A few seconds of lap time is an eternity and the cars are not that different to warrant that kind of gap. Again if I put $10K into a GT350 and run it against a stock R on the track I am pretty confident the GT350 with upgrades will outpace it. Certainly I don't have the data in hand, but I have years of racing and tracking BMW's and Porsche's that provides the leading indicator that it is highly likely. And for $30K in change I can take some of VooDoo's engine mods and improve straight line speed and have a fighting change to outpace the Porsche GT3 if I can get in front of it exiting a turn with decent exit speed and with a long enough run to the next turn. We'll see this year at Road America. :thumbsup:
I agree with all you say except the cost of mods.
Here's all that I have done and I do not have 30K in mods.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70386
Sponsored

danhuberty

Dan Huberty
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 ShelbyGT350
I have one mission this summer and that is to out run Porsche GT3's at Road America with the GT350. It is quite doable. I need to get some suspension under the car, better race pads, and increased straight line speed and it should be game over with an extra $40K in my pocket for fun. :D

As it relates to outrunning a GT3RS, I think I will leave that one alone for now. ;)

danhuberty

Dan Huberty
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 ShelbyGT350
This is awesome.
Paul - I need a set up in Forgelines for a 19x11 square setup all around. What are the options with Forgeline? What size spacer will I need up front?

Thanks,

Dan

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Paul - I need a set up in Forgelines for a 19x11 square setup all around. What are the options with Forgeline? What size spacer will I need up front?

Thanks,

Dan
I have Forgeline GA1R open lugs 11x19 with a +24 front and +62 rear with 305/30 pilot sport cup 2 on all 4 corners.
38mm spacer. That's crazy if you ask me.

The R runs 11x19 front +24 and 11.5x19 rear +56

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I'm saying if all the suspension, tires, wheels, aero were the same. My point is the engine and drivetrain are the same.

By the way, have you seen any blade anti roll bars for the S550 chassis?
The GT350R-C & GT4 racecars runs them.

Sticking to the original hypothesis the tires are not equal because Hoosier R7's would stickier than the stock "R" PSC2 tires. And while the R does have more down-force than the GT350 due to the rear wing, that down-force is only good on turns exceeding speeds of 60 MPH as the R's rear wing advantage really only comes into play on higher speed turns. It is actually a negative on long straight away's like Road America, Road Atlanta, VIR, and a few other courses.

At Road America a 2015 Porsche GT3 was about 1.5 seconds faster than my GT350, which was struggling with brake pad issues from the crappy Raybestos race pads. And the Porsche driver was no slouch by any means. The point is that I can see the R being a second faster than a stock GT350, but not a few seconds. A few seconds of lap time is an eternity and the cars are not that different to warrant that kind of gap. Again if I put $10K into a GT350 and run it against a stock R on the track I am pretty confident the GT350 with upgrades will outpace it. Certainly I don't have the data in hand, but I have years of racing and tracking BMW's and Porsche's that provides the leading indicator that it is highly likely. And for $30K in change I can take some of VooDoo's engine mods and improve straight line speed and have a fighting change to outpace the Porsche GT3 if I can get in front of it exiting a turn with decent exit speed and with a long enough run to the next turn. We'll see this year at Road America. :thumbsup:
Most tracks have corners above 60mph and I think the R's wing and larger splitter give it an advantage in pretty much every corner on a given racetrack. The increase in grip from the aero on the R has a net gain on pretty much every track (including Daytona) over the base 350. That's why most racecars have big wings, to favor the large gains in cornering grip and lap time vs the smaller losses in straightaway speed. A 350R will go slower around Road America without its wing and splitter.

A few seconds is an eternity but the tires, wheels, lighter weight and added down force all add up to make that difference between the 350 and the R. You really can't compare two different cars with two different drivers at a given track day. There's too many variables in the driver alone. IIRC, Ford has tested and said the 350R is as fast as a 991 GT3 on a few different tracks.

Sure you can throw R7s and a large wing and splitter on a 350 and go faster than an R. You can also buy a fox body, throw a coyote in it with big tires and aero and probably go even faster for even less money. If that is your justification for owning a 350 instead of an R, then by all means...

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
The GT350R-C & GT4 racecars runs them.

Most tracks have corners above 60mph and I think the R's wing and larger splitter give it an advantage in pretty much every corner on a given racetrack. The increase in grip from the aero on the R has a net gain on pretty much every track (including Daytona) over the base 350. That's why most racecars have big wings, to favor the large gains in cornering grip and lap time vs the smaller losses in straightaway speed. A 350R will go slower around Road America without its wing and splitter.

A few seconds is an eternity but the tires, wheels, lighter weight and added down force all add up to make that difference between the 350 and the R. You really can't compare two different cars with two different drivers at a given track day. There's too many variables in the driver alone. IIRC, Ford has tested and said the 350R is as fast as a 991 GT3 on a few different tracks.

Sure you can throw R7s and a large wing and splitter on a 350 and go faster than an R. You can also buy a fox body, throw a coyote in it with big tires and aero and probably go even faster for even less money. If that is your justification for owning a 350 instead of an R, then by all means...
I know they run them. But nobody can find them.

danhuberty

Dan Huberty
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 ShelbyGT350
Well said and completely agree....:thumbsup: Now let's go hunt down some Porsche GT3's and beat them. That's the real mission here. Either way the GT350 or the R is going to need some level of modification to do that. ;)

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I know they run them. But nobody can find them.
Try reaching out to Multimatic who builds them. They probably aren't cheap. I'd guess over $2K.

Well said and completely agree....:thumbsup: Now let's go hunt down some Porsche GT3's and beat them. That's the real mission here. Either way the GT350 or the R is going to need some level of modification to do that. ;)
Sounds good. However the R can hold its own to a GT3 -it would depend on the track which ones faster.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Try reaching out to Multimatic who builds them. They probably aren't cheap. I'd guess over $2K.

Sounds good. However the R can hold its own to a GT3 -it would depend on the track which ones faster.
You can't use the GT4 blade anti roll bars on the GT350/R street version.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
According to Sean Mason at multimatic he said the GT4 blade bars will not work because of to many differences. Sounds like an excuse to me. Like they can have it and the public cant.
That's all he told me.
So I asked John at Watson and waiting to hear back.
Sponsored