Check your splitter install

sk8nSam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350, 2005 Lotus Elise
Hey guys, this actually is a real safety issue. Both me and a friend were driving ours on track and his splitter came lose and flipped under the car at 125mph. Checking mine, it had come partially loose. In both cases the dealer had not installed the 4 screws that come in from the bottom at 45 degree angle.

I highly recommend that you check to make sure all 8 screws are installed and the tabs are in the slots.
My splitter was missing those four 45 degree screws, too. So, after reading this post, I bought these M4.2x20 body bolts at Lowe's. Although 5mm shorter than the Ford part, they work fine. Now, lining up the holes and setting the tabs, that's the hard part.
screw.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
My splitter was missing those four 45 degree screws, too. So, after reading this post, I bought these M4.2x20 body bolts at Lowe's. Although 5mm shorter than the Ford part, they work fine. Now, lining up the holes and setting the tabs, that's the hard part.
I've said in prior posts that I think the Ford provided bolts are a bit too long (anyway.) Are those SEMS (captive washer) bolts?

sk8nSam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350, 2005 Lotus Elise
I've said in prior posts that I think the Ford provided bolts are a bit too long (anyway.) Are those SEMS (captive washer) bolts?
Yes, they are exactly like the Ford bolts, just a little shorter.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I had to do the exact same thing to mine. Bought the exact same hardware from Lowe's. The dealership was pretty good about it and sent me a complete set of all the hardware and the plastic clips that were also missing(they would have fixed it but my selling dealer is about 1800 miles away). I've said this before, the installation is very simple, I managed to get mine corrected myself without any instructions. Tech's get this wrong with regularity and they are supposed to be trained.

Sponsored

Comfort

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 GT350R base,18 GT350R
Finally took mine in today to see what damage was done when the splitter came loose. The list is getting pretty long as it was missing clips, screws, took out the bellypan, front bumper has some damage and the splitter of course. Selling dealer (500 miles away) giving me a little trouble but another dealership closer to me is trying to help and have taken many pictures to document the installation issue. Trying to stay positive and hope this process moves quickly and without any other problems. Wish me luck!!

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I checked my splitter at the dealer and it looked fine. Just happened to check the other day and it appears the middle came "undone" as I can see the tabs exposed that I don't remember seeing at the dealer. I guess I know what I'm doing Saturday morning.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Ruining into the same issue many of you have run into. The diagonal bolts appear to push out the splitter. Any fix?

Edit: With the front of the car jacked up, laying on my back under the car and pressing my knees up against the leading edge of the splitter, then I started wrenching the diagonal screws. That appears to have closed the gap and made the splitter flush and tight right under the bumper. Yippee!

Last edited:

HotLap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
Just picked up my 2017 Lightning Blue on Sat and installed the splitter myself yesterday. Done correctly, it is mounted very securely and should not budge. Only (minor) issue was two of the larger "J-Clips" were not installed at the factory (innermost attachment bolt for the side wings. I had a couple here so was able to attach. I noticed my splitter hardware was a bit different the bolts used in the Ford vid, the larger bolts were flat top 30T torx bolts. Very sturdy fit! Was an involved but not particularly difficult install and contrary to most folks experience, my center splitter slid right into the plastic snaps (I did use a hammer/shop towel just to be sure) but all is aligned correctly and no gap between top of center splitter and bumper fascia. Hardest part (for me) were getting those darn little white "half moon" plastic clips in. I didn't remove the wheels and they just wouldn't clip in. Finally figured if you held them "just so" they would clip in pretty easy. Even the 45 deg angle front 4 screws went right in. I noticed in the Ford vid, it looked as if the tech was really going deep inside the center splitter piece to install, but they are really only about 2" deep. I could lay under the car with light and see right up and the splitter and bumper fascia holes were perfectly aligned, which I took as good evidence the front center splitter was correctly attached to the plastic tabs! Best part is I know it's done right and I should never have issues with it coming off!

protocos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
I think this might have happened to mine. I had trouble with it coming dislodged, for which I had to take it back into a different dealership to get it reattached. And then on day I went over a particularly nasty metal plate in the road in the left side of the chin splitter crumpled. I had to get it replaced. Luckily it was only $500 instead of some kind of carbon fiber replacement. Still makes me think the original dealership I got it from didn't install it correctly...

Sponsored

Comfort

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 GT350R base,18 GT350R
Finally took mine in today to see what damage was done when the splitter came loose. The list is getting pretty long as it was missing clips, screws, took out the bellypan, front bumper has some damage and the splitter of course. Selling dealer (500 miles away) giving me a little trouble but another dealership closer to me is trying to help and have taken many pictures to document the installation issue. Trying to stay positive and hope this process moves quickly and without any other problems. Wish me luck!!
**UPDATE**
I have taken the car to multiple local dealers and they all agree with pictures that it wasn’t installed correctly by Family Ford in Marietta OH. The service manager and I have talked multiple times as well as the GM. They informed me today when I called that they WILL NOT COVER IT. They stated they see where it’s was missing some hardware but I have 2300 miles on it. Also said a very good tech installed it so since it’s just now happening it couldn’t be their problem. It’s been 3 months with NO CAR. I also have a MY18 GT350R about to be delivered (ETA Delivery 11-25-17) I’ve called Ford and have a case # and their assistance to the resolution was that I would just have to talk with Family Ford again and work something out. Haha!!! Think I will sell both and just buy a GT3. I’ll also be selling every Ford vehicle in my company and replace them with a mixture of Mercedes vans, GM and Toyota trucks and Lexus SUV’s. Ford did NOT back their loyal customer as they wouldn’t even contact dealer or assist with another option. Have room saved for the upcoming release later this year but now I think I’ll fill it with the mid engine Corvette. Grew up around these Mustangs as my uncle has one from every year and if they offered a convertible he has one of each. Started working on my collection awhile back but I think I’ll go back with a company that cares for their customers and appreciates them. Again, 3 months, no car, loyal customer, dealership installed incorrectly which resulted in other damage. Never again and I will be locating a GT3 as well as replacing roughly half my fleet vehicles. Not here to bash but just stating my experience with Ford and Family Ford of Marietta OH and how I’ll resolve it. :frusty::frusty::frusty::mad:

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
^^^^ that is a bunch of BS, but standard for this industry. I would keep after Ford via social media, all formats. they may be contractually right pushing it back to the dealer, but in the end it is their name on the car. I would post pictures to all their sites with a polite and calm warning about Ford Quality. If they delete, re post, ect...

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Did anyone see the Gas Monkey episode where Richards 350R front splitter came off as soon as it was driven hard....

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Well, this thread was recommended by a member here. So thumbed through...Those of you waiting to install, be careful because the exposed bits dedicated to receiving the three piece splitter can turn out to be uber-expensive if they are compromised. It could cost you the entire bumper cover, finish and install...I am going to try to fix the plastic tabs, but this little issue can be irreparable in theory...Not sure if I did the damage (I doubt I did), or the dealership hired help did the damage...At this point, because structural integrity is paramount for a working bit like the splitter, I will take it into the dealership and have them fix and install it...I will make sure to instruct them that the integrity of the splitter receiver tabs NEED BE STRUCTURALLY sound and if they can't sort it out with a good plastic repair pro, then the whole bumper cover will need replacement.

picture.jpg

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Splitter Woes

Probably Bumper Cover and Paint for about $500.

Problem is all the Labor involved in Disassembling the Parts.

You could do it all yourself by ordering a new Bumper Cover and take it to the Dealer’s Body Shop and have them match the Paint. After a week or so, take it back home and re-install the Parts.

Once everything (including the Splitter and Belly Pan) is installed, it’s actually easier to 1st remove the Fender Shields, then the Belly Pan and Front Bumper Cover as a Single Unit, if you need access to the Radiator area.
C9F72185-C755-4B2D-9788-4F126E91C8D8.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: