The horrible paint quality thread

1quickcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
1991 mustang coupe. Termi swap.
UnhandledException. The Dealer took a piece of tape laid it across different places where the car had chipped. When they pulled the tape of it would pull a small piece of paint with it. They said that it was an indication that the primer was not holding. I go in the morning to see what they want to do now.
Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not to mention, if you respray you risk loss-of-value. I agree that if paint and preserving originality for value are a concern then a full wrap is a total no-brainer. Or you could just not worry about it, treat it well, drive the wheels off the car and then have the badly affected areas resprayed. The smaller stuff you mention can be handled with some touch-up paint.
But thats going to require multiple resprays and cost much more than xpel in say 5 years time and its still not going to be trouble free,i.e the area painted can and will scratch again and you may have to paint it yet again. The only way to not to paint anything is to xpel wrap it.

I think I m just going to spend the $2500 and do it. I just saw a strange scratch through the paint on my upper A pillar. Probably I scratched it trying to wash the car even though I remove my ring and watch and dont have anything sharp on me while washing the car. Its pretty huge and I dont think i can just touch this up. I will post a picture of it.

The other thing I am noticing is now that I applied the sealant on the car, there is no difference in look and shinyness between the panels with and without xpel. Hood for example has just the same amount of deep gloss look as the roof or the trunk lid.

Life is too short:)

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Not to mention, if you respray you risk loss-of-value. I agree that if paint and preserving originality for value are a concern then a full wrap is a total no-brainer. Or you could just not worry about it, treat it well, drive the wheels off the car and then have the badly affected areas resprayed. The smaller stuff you mention can be handled with some touch-up paint.
I’ve been going the drive the piss out of it touch up paint route. Not worried about resale value, I don’t plan to sell it. At some point I’ll get the whole thing sprayed or wrapped, probably in a completely diff color.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Mine had dents when I bought it - almost looks like hail - care came from a dealer in Philly, and was traded to two different dealers in Houston before I bought it "new" with 400 miles on it, and notes hand written in the margins on a couple pages in the owner's manual. My guess I somebody bought mine, took it home for a week or so, couldn't get financing, unwound the deal, and the dealer traded it off to be free of it.

Car has been absolutely sold, and I didn't notice the dents until a couple weeks after taking deliver. I could've complained, but I figured I didn't have to stress about the first flaws on my new car, it came pre-flawed, and life is good. Has some panel alignment issues on the fenders, and I just don't care.

My car has been in my possession for 27 months, and it was a late 2014 build, so it's a real early 2015 GT - and it now has 60,000 miles...planning on just biting the bullet, paying it off, and driving it into the ground, because why keep it nice and save it for the next owner...overall the car is in fantastic shape, but it is most definitely very, very used. Drive them, enjoy them...care for them, but don't stress too much, life's too short...

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Torturing the paint?

Living in the northeast for much of my life I assure you, the underbody will be ruined enough. The condition of the paint will be meaningless.
I was wondering about this too. Salt will mess up the paint, but do nothing to the underbody ?

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am hoping “fluid film” will help address that somehow. I got 3 cans from amazon, will try it out today.
that doesn't sound very fun spraying three cans of that stuff and hoping it works. Seems like it would be better to drive a budget car around when the roads are bad and there is salt.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
that doesn't sound very fun spraying three cans of that stuff and hoping it works. Seems like it would be better to drive a budget car around when the roads are bad and there is salt.
It was not fun. Some got on the cats and headers and the exhaust and it took a good 50-60 mile trip to get rid of the smell. The first 4-5 miles was really awkward where people were staring at the pumes of white smoke coming from under the car. That being said I m sure it will help. I tried washing the car and the stuff repels water very well.
Sponsored