Sponsored

Swapping interior dash

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
I probably just suck at searching but,

Has anyone looked into taking a base mustang GT and adding in the performance pack gauges?
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I probably just suck at searching but,

Has anyone looked into taking a base mustang GT and adding in the performance pack gauges?
Shouldn't be all that difficult as long as the gauges operate independently and don't require another module to function. Get yourself a shop manual for a PP GT and see what connections are going to the gauges. I would imagine it will be power, illumination, and CAN bus leads. You are going to have to figure out just what level of CAN lead is required. Tap into that lead and the gauges should have all of the data they need to function.

OP
OP

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I figure it shouldnt be very hard just wondering if the center vent on the base would cause an issue. Anything there they cant be moved?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I figure it shouldnt be very hard just wondering if the center vent on the base would cause an issue. Anything there they cant be moved?
Then center vent will be an issue. You will have to cut it back and then cap it off. Depending on how the gauges mount in the dash you might also have to make some custom brackets/modify the center vent opening to allow the gauges to fit.

Sponsored

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
I just saw a video on this, cjponyparts on youtube i think. Its super easy and straightforward

OP
OP

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just saw a video on this, cjponyparts on youtube i think. Its super easy and straightforward

That was swapping GT performance pack gauges for Ecoboost gauges for people that add blowers I think you are referring to

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
That was swapping GT performance pack gauges for Ecoboost gauges for people that add blowers I think you are referring to
Youre right, sorry bout that. Still they should carry over

OP
OP

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Youre right, sorry bout that. Still they should carry over
The gauges will carry over, the issue is the wiring behind it and the center vent from a base car.

Either way I put base GT out of mind as it is not worth the money/time to fix the spoiler holes and i can not live with that spoiler

Sponsored

MDRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
A couple people on here have asked this before, myself included. The problem is so far nobody has tried it due to the cost and nobody being sure if non PP cars have the wiring needed to do so. It's assumed to save on production costs it'll be possible but we're not sure. Another concern would be condensation from the center a/c vent. I know I'd love to know for sure as the PP turned aluminum dash and gauges looks way better than the brushed aluminum w/3 vents IMO. Planning to talk to my dealership about whether or not it's possible once I take delivery. Then it's just waiting for wreck to salvage because 1200 is more than I can justify.

OP
OP

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple people on here have asked this before, myself included. The problem is so far nobody has tried it due to the cost and nobody being sure if non PP cars have the wiring needed to do so. It's assumed to save on production costs it'll be possible but we're not sure. Another concern would be condensation from the center a/c vent. I know I'd love to know for sure as the PP turned aluminum dash and gauges looks way better than the brushed aluminum w/3 vents IMO. Planning to talk to my dealership about whether or not it's possible once I take delivery. Then it's just waiting for wreck to salvage because 1200 is more than I can justify.

Yah I do no like the look of the aluminum dash but that can be wrapped. I would assume like you said for production cost the wiring is there and you would just need to but the panel and gauges plus remove the center tube but I have been wrong before :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, '79 Pace Car #7
The gauges are part of the dash piece. THere are two or three threads on this whole thing. You're looking at $1200+ in parts to make this work. Not worth it at all.
Here is the skinny as I just went through this, bought all the parts, and returned, sold said parts.

According to my service manager, and you can confirm at Fordparts.com, there are literally dozens of main dash harness's, depending on if you have stock or premium, nav or no nav, adapt cruise, reg cruise and on and on. Part of that different harness part is if you have PP or no PP for the gauge pigtail. It's no where near plug and play. To do this swap the right way you have to:

1. Remove dash.
2. Remove main dash harness and replace with dash harness that matches all your current options plus PP.
3. Purchase PP HVAC dash parts that have the two vent outlet.
4. Purchase the PP dash either Eco or GT depending on your car.
5. Have the car re-programmed.

The conservative estimate from the dealer is they supplied the parts was $4000+. You can save a grand or so by getting the parts from Blueoval.com if your dealer will install them and not the parts they sell you.

Or, you can try and do this all yourself and hope to the good Lord you did it all right while voiding your warranty on anything electrical for the life of your warranty.

Sorry for the good news fella's! This sucks.

The TruFiber piece is just a carbon fiber replacement for the stock dash piece. Does this project no good.

The good news is Roush is planning on doing a a/c outlet gauge mount, similar to the SN197 piece. I plan on doing that when it comes out. I like the idea of $200 and having a boost gauge. The N-gauge voids your powertrain warranty since it re-programs your ECU. On these cars, anything done to the ECU is known IMMEDIATELY by Ford through Sync/GPS. It also leaves a footprint on any changes to the ECU, so any tune, even if returned to stock will give Ford a reason to void your warranty. Sucks. I did the BoostMax on my Eco and LOVE it. Huge difference. No ECU footprint as it doesn't do anything to the ECU.
Sponsored