Sponsored

Mishimoto coolant expansion tank leaking

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
My sight tube starting leaking today. I thought maybe it could be reseated so I took the short plastic tube off, and upon examining it the end of the tubing crumbled in my fingers. It is a discolored brown as well. Wow, this tank is maybe a year old? It seems that Mishimoto may have sourced a less than appropriate material. Maybe PVC or polyethylene? I am looking for a substitute currently, or I may have to cap off the fitting bungs. I have reached out to them to get a replacement set of fittings and hose, but I’m not sure I want the same material again. We will see what transpires from that. So much for “more reliable”. I drove a lot of miles yesterday, thank God I was tooling around locally today. I smelled coolant after parking and immediately found coolant dripping from the lower fitting. I lost coolant until it got down to the end of the lower 90 deg fitting. If I could find silicone tubing in 1/4” OD, it would be far better than whatever was used here. It is temp rated far above what a cooling system will see. Tsk tsk Mishimoto, did you cheap out on us?
Sponsored

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
That sucks man. This is why i steer clear of items like this. Yeah its pretty.
Now im skeptical of the mishi radiator. Got the intake tube from them, hope thats sound.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
An update: To get my car back on the road I found some 1/8" brass plugs at the auto parts store and replaced the fittings with them. In fact, I may leave it this way unless I find a robust solution. It is easy enough to check the coolant level by using a ruler dipped in the tank. Not convenient, but this setup won't leave me stranded. I'll try to get a pic up of the plastic tube so you can see for yourself.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks man. This is why i steer clear of items like this. Yeah its pretty.
Now im skeptical of the mishi radiator. Got the intake tube from them, hope thats sound.
This is why I always keep my stock parts. My OEM tank is in a closet in case I need it.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a link to pics:
https://imgur.com/a/Xst7f
What you can't see in the pics are tiny stress cracks all through the tube. If you have one of these tanks keep an eye on it.

Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch. Mine has never leaked.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I looked for a replacement piece of clear tubing and found that almost everything in that size off the shelf has a max temp rating of around 180 deg MAX. No wonder it failed. In all likelihood, the material they spec'd has a temp rating of 140 to 170 deg. MAX. If it was silicone it would have not done that, as silicone is rated somewhere from 350-500 degrees.

I talked to Mishimoto and they did tell me there have been some reports of failures. If the mfr warranties it, they would send a new plastic tube. The problem is, I have no idea if a replacement is any better than the original.

I keep posting about this because it could be a serious design flaw that could leave someone stranded on the side of the road. I don't want that happening to any of you M6G peeps. If you have one of these tanks keep an eye it.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Some glass tubing maybe?

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Hey Everyone

Sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing issues with your sight tubes. We have had a few reports of this and would like to remain proactive on the topic. We currently have upgraded sight tubes with a significantly higher temperature rating available for those of you running hot. Changing out your sight tube is an extremely simple process as you can see here.

[ame] .

All we ask you to do if you are in need of a replacement is send a quick email to [email protected] with a photo of your defective tube and shipping address.

Thanks
-Jake

Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Everyone

Sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing issues with your sight tubes. We have had a few reports of this and would like to remain proactive on the topic. We currently have upgraded sight tubes with a significantly higher temperature rating available for those of you running hot. Changing out your sight tube is an extremely simple process as you can see here.

All we ask you to do if you are in need of a replacement is send a quick email to [email protected] with a photo of your defective tube and shipping address.

Thanks
-Jake
mines not defective yet but you offering the same deal for those of us with possible failures? I got mine through AM, can provide a receipt.

Fryguy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP
Silicone tubing will work. That's what I use for my homebrew setup!

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
replacing the tube is super easy ONCE you empty and pull the damn tank out. not so easy if you want to leave it installed and swap out. or at least not so clean. :)

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Everyone

Thanks
-Jake
Thank you for the follow up on this. It is good to get clarification on the new tubes having better heat tolerance.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Everyone

Thanks
-Jake
Jake,
mine started to leak. sent you an email from my yahoo account along with a pic and receipt from when I bought it last July from American Muscle.

Kevin
Sponsored