Sponsored

Replacement tyres for stock GT wheels

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Hi my stock GT tyres don't have much life left so I'm keen to hear suggestions from those who have already replaced their's. I don't mind the current ones but I would prefer a bit more longevity as these will be lucky to last 15000 km of normal driving (not sideways and smoking everywhere )
Sponsored

auj4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT FB GB
Hi my stock GT tyres don't have much life left so I'm keen to hear suggestions from those who have already replaced their's. I don't mind the current ones but I would prefer a bit more longevity as these will be lucky to last 15000 km of normal driving (not sideways and smoking everywhere )
Thanks for asking the question Snakebite,

I've been thinking about this too lately. Not because I need them, (only at 4000km), but because I'm not happy with the P zeros. I like the stock wheels and would be happy to keep them.

From what I've read here, consensus pretty much says Michelin Pilot Super Sports. So this is what I came up with sofar;

front 255/40ZR19 100Y
Rear 285/40ZR19 103Y N0 (Designed for Porsche)

using this page;
http://www.michelin.com.au/AU/en/tires/products/pilot-super-sport.html#

This page gave me the size comparison;
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=275-40r19-285-40r19

What I don't know is whether the extra width of the 285 is ok for the 9.5" rear wheel width.

As to longevity, since mine is not a DD, I'm not really overly worried.

But I'm also interested in knowing more about all options.

auj4

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Thanks auj4 for the additional information. What I have noticed is it seems difficult to get both sizes required for the GT in the same rubber ie super sport for the fronts and primacy the rear.

Never thought of slightly larger rubber on the rear.

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
I wanted the Michelin Pilot Sports 4S, which are incredibly good gripping tyres in both wet and dry. leave the P Zeros dead in the water! BUT the 4S versions don't come in compatible sizes for our wheels so I got new wheels and tyres. I went 275/35 front and 305/30 rear. If you go for new wheels make sure you get the right offset otherwise you will have rubbing problems

Sponsored

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
I am using Bridgestone Potenza S001 Tyres.

Great road grip...especially in the wet ...a performance and top quality tyre and good pricing as well !!!!
link: https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au
:cheers:

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
I was able to get a set of Michelin Pilot Sports 3 in the OEM sizes.
found them to be good in the wet ( it rained on the week end 1st time since Feb)
and quieter than the P Zero. happy so far

watchman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang GT magnetic
replacement Pzero

I recently replaced my rear stock tyres after 2700kms. I was never happy with the standard ones when cold or in the wet . There was not a lot of available tyres for the size of the rear tyres . I ended up going with
pirelli PZERO all season plus . 275/40R19 105Y
they have a lesser speed rating but a higher load rating than the standard tyre . They have been amazingly better . the old tyres always spun a bit when cold or in the wet . now I have the new tyres I realize how carefully I was previously driving when the tyres were cold.

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
I was able to get a set of Michelin Pilot Sports 3 in the OEM sizes.
found them to be good in the wet ( it rained on the week end 1st time since Feb)
and quieter than the P Zero. happy so far
I’ll be replacing the OEM tyres on our Pony soon.

I doubt I will be changing to 20” rims so I seriously would like the Michelin Pilot Sports to fit the stock wheels.

It’s funny how the PS4’s aren’t available in the OEM sizes but the PS3’s are :shrug:

I’ve just emailed Michelin to see if they have a plan on getting Mustang OEM sized PS4’s for Australia any time soon.

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
I spent a lot of last week thinking about the exact question. Here is my answer to date:

275/40/19 - you can get the Continental ContiSportContact 5. The predecessor to the just released 6, and generally regarded as the second best performance tyre around in the prior generation (being the Michelin PSS)

285/40/19 -Michelin PSS but very hard to get a set

The only other potential option in my view is the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx which reviews well but behind the other 2.

You can't get either the PS4 or ContiSport 6 in Oz in the stock (or close) size.

Sponsored

Since-64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee, G6ET, 2016 Mustang
I had a reply from Michelin several weeks ago stating that they would not be bringing in ps4's in the standard mustang sizes in the foreseeable future but the would pass on my interest to the required department to investigate if it would be worthwhile bringing them in.

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After more thinking I have bitten the bullet and ordered tires from the USA. Just can't get the good stuff in Australia at the stock size. Have gone for the brand new Continental Extreme Sport 6 at $465 per tire delivered. The CES6 seem to be considered the only tire currently competing with the MPS4. Should arrive in less than 2 weeks.

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
After more thinking I have bitten the bullet and ordered tires from the USA. Just can't get the good stuff in Australia at the stock size. Have gone for the brand new Continental Extreme Sport 6 at $465 per tire delivered. The CES6 seem to be considered the only tire currently competing with the MPS4. Should arrive in less than 2 weeks.
Good work Miro.

Who did you purchase from please ?

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
I had a reply from Michelin several weeks ago stating that they would not be bringing in ps4's in the standard mustang sizes in the foreseeable future but the would pass on my interest to the required department to investigate if it would be worthwhile bringing them in.

Maybe we have to keep sending inquiries to Michelin on a weekly basis :hail:

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bought via Custom Wheel Outlet on Ebay. Ebay now force suppliers to use the Ebay Global Shipping Program which I have found to be expensive and slow. However, for tyres it appears to be a pretty good option. US$150 to ship here, that is about half of what the Tire Rack quoted me for shipping.
Sponsored