Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi everyone,

Oil cooler failures are being reported on RHD GT cars both here and in the UK. Searching suggests they come in the form of failure of the block fitting that routes the lines to the radiator, mixing of oil and water, or as reported by Gibbo in the UK both. Understand that Ford has released a TSB for the mixing oil and water issue in pre Aug 2016 cars, presumably it's the same type of thing that BA's suffered from - the barrier between the oil and water chambers in the radiator would fail (albeit in that case it was trans fluid not engine oil).

Can those who've been affected or have robust knowledge of the issue please share their information, including how their dealership dealt with it. It'd be a good resource for those of us who want to stay on top of the issue (and I'm sure most people would!) so it doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of our cars.

Cheers
Sponsored

MrOldschool45

MrOldschool45
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
Hey Guys, I just got my 2017 GT on the 4th of July. I've been blazing through the forum on lots of different subjects. This is the first time reading about a "Oil cooler" issue.
Is this a thing for all 2015-17 years? Just GTs or V6 and EB as well? I just figured out what RHD means (right hand drive) lol. Is it just an issue with those? Thanks

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
One of the big car mags here in Australia tested a few modified Mustangs and some had oil issues on the track, namely with sweeping lateral G changes (think right into left turn where the cars weight shifts side to side) causing oil delivery problems.

The mechanics suggested the GT350 oil baffle setup and an oil cooler.

No idea if it's RHD only, but it only affects track stuff as drags and such dont do the lateral movement.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Wow! this must be of concern to all early build (july16 and before) cars like mine, if Ford has issued a TSB. If location of cat is the problem,would headers improve the situation, because high flow cats are smaller and further away, or are headers then also to close to oil cooler?

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
^^^ yeah mine is 16 June 2016 build. Its getting annual service soon so i will mention it.

Sponsored

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Different issues here folks, one is oil surge and the other is oil cooler failure.

Ford has issued a TSB:

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2604/oil-leak-from-engine-oil-cooler-right-hand-drive-2016-2017-ford-mustang

but it refers to cars built before Jul 2016.
^^^ yeah mine is 16 June 2016 build. Its getting annual service soon so i will mention it.
So how does a TSB (& what does TSB stand for?) differ from a recall? Should I demand the oil cooler be replaced next service or ASAP?

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
So how does a TSB (& what does TSB stand for?) differ from a recall? Should I demand the oil cooler be replaced next service or ASAP?
Hi mike I sent the link to the dealer this afternoon and said is this something you will address at the service. Answer was basically we check fluids etc and if an issue would address it. The explanation was a tbs was a suggestion and not the same as a recall. So not the same obligation. :shrug:

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
TSB is Technical Service Bulletin.

Mine has been meant to go in to the dealer to have coilovers fitted but dealer is waiting on a passenger door seal to come in before I drop off the car.

I'll mention this item.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Wow! this must be of concern to all early build (july16 and before) cars like mine, if Ford has issued a TSB. If location of cat is the problem,would headers improve the situation, because high flow cats are smaller and further away, or are headers then also to close to oil cooler?

I sent the link to the dealer this afternoon and said is this something you will address at the service. Answer was basically we check fluids etc and if an issue would address it. The explanation was a tbs was a suggestion and not the same as a recall. So not the same obligation.

Hard to say if headers and CAT relocation would improve the situation without knowing exactly what the cause is and currently it's not entirely clear as far as I know. It could be a design problem, or a qual control issue on a given batch of fittings, but that's not much comfort if you have a car that's affected.

TSB = Tech Service Bulletin and I beg to differ with the dealer's description. Ford website states: 'Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are recommended steps and procedures for repairing vehicles. A TSB is issued by Ford when there is a growing trend with an unanticipated problem, but does not warrant a recall.' It'd be a brave dealer that ignored TSB and the good thing is that it means Ford has acknowledged the problem.

Unfortunately it seems a bit like Porsche cylinder liners on early Cayenne's - no warning of degradation and then kerboom.

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
A TSB is just a process to repair a known problem. If you read the oil cooler TSB, it gives the dealer a guide on how they clean out the cooling system, replace the engine etc, if the cooler fails.
It is not a recall and Ford do not appear to be issuing one. I can only assume that is of a very low occurrence as a percentage of vehicles manufactured.
Still makes me nervous though, I lift the bonnet looking for a milkshake in the radiator overflow bottle after every drive and always look under the car in case any oil is dripping.

Sorry there GT550....kinda repeated your post....we were posting at about the same time.
Sponsored