Sponsored

Long Island OBI public service announcement

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
If going to OBI cars and coffee make sure your vehicle has front plates and nothing else you could get dinged with. State troopers had about 10 cars around with a checkpoint giving out tickets for anything they could find. Been driving the car for almost 2 years but I got hit with a front license plate ticket (not complaining as I could have avoided it by putting the plate on). What I was ignorant about is the ticket penalty is $200 +$95 surcharge :eyebulge:
Needless to say I ordered the ZL1 removable bracket kit that goes on the tow hook.
I was speaking to a guy with a Harley and they gave him a ticket for a frame around his license plate. It wasn't blocking any information. Apparently in NY you only should have a plate with two screws and that's it; no frames allowed :doh:

Besides the ticket it was a beautiful morning. Here's a pic by the Robert Moses Bridge.
FullSizeRender.jpg
Sponsored

GT6555

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2, Lightning Blue
State don't play no games. The plate frame law is valid btw.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Such BS! Nothing better to do than hand out tickets for nonsense and harass people who are just getting together and enjoying themselves in a legal manner. I used to live on Deer Park Ave and the same BS went on there all the time. I once got a ticket for a dirty license plate on my car - anyone who knows me knows my car is NEVER that dirty. It was a bogus ticket. If we had cell phones back then I would’ve taken a pic and the case would’ve been dismissed. With gangs, drugs and actual crime happening on LI, you’d think these guys would be out catching real criminals instead of adding to the county coffers...

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have 1 & need a low profile jack now I am lowered. Thanks for the post op.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I know this is an old post but in case anyone reads it I just wanted to point something out. The police can give you a ticket for anything they want, doesn't mean you necessarily broke a law. If you get a ticket never argue with a officer, just say thank you and when you get home check the law and fight it if you believe you were wrongfully cited. VAT § 402 states

"Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic material, and shall not be knowingly covered or coated with any artificial or synthetic material or substance that conceals or obscures such number plates or that distorts a recorded or photographic image of such number plates, and the view of such number plates shall not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle or by anything carried thereon..."

A frame is legal so long as it not covering any part of the number or the name of the state. It is probably legal to cover the motto as it is not used to identify a car and the Supreme Court in Wooley v. Maynard ruled it a First Amendment issue.
Sponsored