Sponsored

Krona Cat-Back Review

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
With all of the exhaust threads that I’ve seen in this forum, I’m surprised that there’s never been a Krona review thread. I just installed the Krona cat-back today, and no matter how much driving I do, I can’t shake the urge to just go out and waste gasoline. It’s that good. Before I get ahead of myself, I’m going to give a couple disclaimers. First, I will not be posting videos. I don’t have quality equipment for it, and there’s just such great depth of sound that I would be doing a disservice by recording it. And second, this post will be in-depth and lengthy. Bottom line though, this setup has the deepest and cleanest sound of any coyote exhaust I’ve heard, and I urge anyone shopping around to try to hear this one in person.

Packaging: Excellent. Everything came nested in foam-in-place packaging. The pipe sections and clamps were all individually bagged, and the tips were wrapped in poly foam roll for extra protection.

Material Quality / Looks: The construction on this kit is very solid, all 304 with a lifetime warranty. The welds are all very clean, and all of the piping is brushed making for a very high end look. And an often overlooked detail – the clamps are heavy duty and work great. Also, all the piping is cut to form butt joints, so no seized slip joints to worry about. Finally, the tips are 4.5” mirror polished so they fill the cutouts well. The laser etching is also a nice detail.

Install: Great PDF instructions with high res pics. Putting up the center section can be tricky if working alone. I did it, but I used a lift and a couple hoist stands for support. What makes it difficult is the added weight from the center muffler. Also, I put the reducers on the stock piping first, but it may be easier to clamp them to the center muffler and install them together. The rear resonators were super easy. The butt joints mean no tiresome twisting and shaking process to join the pipe sections, just hang and use the sleeve clamp. The lack of slip joints also helped with alignment, which was fairly pain-free. No helper needed.

Sound: DEEP and drone-free. Volume is easily foot controlled. Cold start will be reported on later, but I expect it will be neighbor friendly. The center muffler is part resonator, part open chamber crossover (similar to a Pro Chamber), and it does magic for the tone. Around town below 2.5k RPM, this exhaust has that hollow reverberating muscle car tone that I think is lost to rear muffler setups. With the windows down, downshifting around 2k, it reminded me of riding in my dad’s notchback LX as a kid. Going past 3k it’s definitely pure coyote though, and it will wail at WOT. However, there is almost zero rasp. Approaching redline, the tone stays clean and doesn’t get tinny or splatty at all. That’s what I meant when I said deepest and cleanest sound I’ve heard. All you get is pure tone. No video on YouTube really captures how great this exhaust sounds.

Thanks for reading my review!

2a4qt51.jpg

2lu6fko.jpg
Sponsored

triggered

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
No
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Race Red
100% spot on. I attest to this being the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Thanks for the review. It's sometimes hard to tell from a video (AM) but I really like the sound of it.
I did notice one reviewer mention a "decent amount" of interior sound with a hint of drone, but to be fair that's kinda hard to corroborate based upon (some subjectivity) limited user feedback.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brostang

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
The AM video is missing out on a lot of the sound. I think their mic is struggling, especially on the tip zoomed view. Really, it is so much deeper and throatier in person. At low rpms, there is a lot of the hollow reverberating (not drone, think auditorium effect) exhaust tone reminiscent of fox 5.0s. Regarding drone, it can be boomy on take off or under load (steep hill), but I set my cruise at a few engine speeds between 1800 and 2200 rpm and its not droning. You can hear the exhaust at cruise speeds, but there is no cabin resonance for me.

triggered

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
No
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the review. It's sometimes hard to tell from a video (AM) but I really like the sound of it.
I did notice one reviewer mention a "decent amount" of interior sound with a hint of drone, but to be fair that's kinda hard to corroborate based upon (some subjectivity) limited user feedback.
I called them out on that video saying that their sound is completely off and that mine was true-to-life sound. They told me that mine wasn't accurate because it was in a warehouse lol. Hear mine here:

[ame]

Definitely don't trust their review video. It sounds muted because their mic setup is terrible.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Damn that sounds good!

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Sounds great on your video [MENTION=30043]triggered[/MENTION]

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I called them out on that video saying that their sound is completely off and that mine was true-to-life sound. They told me that mine wasn't accurate because it was in a warehouse lol. Hear mine.

Definitely don't trust their review video. It sounds muted because their mic setup is terrible.
Well they do have a point, in that it should be recorded outside. But I still like your vid, it sounds better overall even though there is some echo. And I agree, sounds badass.

Sponsored

triggered

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
No
Vehicle(s)
Well they do have a point, in that it should be recorded outside. But I still like your vid, it sounds better overall even though there is some echo. And I agree, sounds badass.
No I understand that but I'm not in this to lie to people. It was an accurate representation of the sound quality. Also, thanks! I'm proud to say this one of the first mods I did. Matt from Krona is Grade-A too. :first:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Sounds very much like a Magnaflow set-up but I love both anyway.

OP
OP
Brostang

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
I wasn't completely sold on that idea when I read it before either, but it's true. Something was off with the AM mic setup when that video was recorded. triggered's video is a lot closer to the true sound, but I think the mic still cracks some during the revs. No offense [MENTION=30043]triggered[/MENTION]. I know we sound like we're full of bs, but it just has that deep echoed sound on its own. I couldn't be happier.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I called them out on that video saying that their sound is completely off and that mine was true-to-life sound. They told me that mine wasn't accurate because it was in a warehouse lol. Hear mine here:

Next time you have a chance bring it back to my shop and I'll bring my shotgun mic which does a great job of capturing exhaust sounds without any ambient or reverb.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
my curiosity is peaked! but jesus!!!! $1300, really dating myself here, but I remember catbacks being available for Fox Body's for under $300, now they werent quite this quality but damn!
Sponsored