Sponsored

Aussie Mustang - Oil change warning

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Ok I spoke to Eastside Mustang Enhancements about their kit (not the MMR one fitted to Tien's car). They're close to finalising a kit and are currently looking into options such as thermostats and remote filter bosses etc, and clearly they know what they're doing. We agreed to keep talking and I'll update everyone when I know something. Clearly it will be more expensive with a remote filter boss but I think many of us would be happy to wear the cost if it meant changing filters easily from above, ditto a thermostat if you live in a sub zero climate.

Also spoke to Mustang Motorsport about the Mishimoto kit, they will not offer a kit that includes a remote filter boss or thermostat and what you see is what you get. Installation of their kit takes about 3 hours and costs about $450.

Hope that's helpful, will update when I know more.
Sponsored

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Harrop are also in the process of making a better oil cooler too, they are in the proto type phase at the moment. I'm super keen on what they come up with

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
Are you sure about that? What site was that? 5w-30 is whats recommended by Ford themselves in the manual you get with the car and what my dealer keeps on shoving in???
to be fair it does say 5W-20 on the filler cap.

I whacked 5W-30 into my GT as thats what I have been using on my Focus ST and FGX XR6 Ute (and all my kids cars that get serviced at home)

Its interesting when I started looking back into Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5W-30 (to specification WSS-M2C913-C) and from what I can make out it seems Ford specification WSS-M2C913-C has been superseded by Ford specification WSS-M2C948-B

So some ecoboost Fords that were previously specified Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5W-30 (to specification WSS-M2C913-C) are now being spec'd with Castrol Magnatec Professional E 5W-20 (to specification WSS-M2C948-B)

The Focus ST is a god example previously 5W-30 now 5W-20

l need to by more oil soon so have asked my supplier for a price on

60L drum of Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5W-30 to specification WSS-M2C913-C

OR

60L drum of Castrol Magnatec Professional E 5W-20 to specification WSS-M2C948-B

I have a feeling the 60L drum of Castrol Magnatec Professional E 5W-20 won't be available in NZ...but time will tell

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Harrop are also in the process of making a better oil cooler too, they are in the proto type phase at the moment. I'm super keen on what they come up with
Me too but not on the cost. It'll be a nice piece of kit though :thumbsup:

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, when the cars were delivered in Aus, Ford Australia admitted that the filler caps were wrong and that they were recommending 5W-30 to their dealers.

Sponsored

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
Ok I spoke to Eastside Mustang Enhancements about their kit (not the MMR one fitted to Tien's car). They're close to finalising a kit and are currently looking into options such as thermostats and remote filter bosses etc, and clearly they know what they're doing. We agreed to keep talking and I'll update everyone when I know something. Clearly it will be more expensive with a remote filter boss but I think many of us would be happy to wear the cost if it meant changing filters easily from above, ditto a thermostat if you live in a sub zero climate.

Also spoke to Mustang Motorsport about the Mishimoto kit, they will not offer a kit that includes a remote filter boss or thermostat and what you see is what you get. Installation of their kit takes about 3 hours and costs about $450.

Hope that's helpful, will update when I know more.
I guess the Mishimoto kit would be worth it for piece of mind given the amount of oil cooler fails happening, I do like that MMR one as well tho I’m torn.

I would assume the Mishimoto would be plug and play for RHD stangs ?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Def a good idea if your car is in the build zone for failures. Or just for peace of mind. If you review the thread you'll that the MMR one isn't plug and play. Mishi kit is plug and play according to Mustang Motorsport.

S550GTRed5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah good point. I'm just going off the service report 5w-30 A5 according to that. I generally like to do an intermediate service so put that in again last time.

I'm just about to come up to my 45k service in another couple of weeks so will ask and see what they say. So there's also a 5w-30 fuel saver version in the magnatec, but i can't find much info on the spec so assume it's not recommended?

I'll do some more digging so I don't bombard this thread, thanks for the info:thumbsup:

Last edited:

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
I very much doubt the spec 5W-20 is available in NZ, AU possibly as your a bigger market.
5W-30 is a safer bet as it covers more models and I think it is perfectly good for the GT.
someone made a comment that 5W-30 is better in our climate, I agree. reality is theres probably not a lot of difference and I do oil and filter changes every 5,000 k's on all of our cars.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I've always used Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 but Castrol and Mobil recommend M'tec Stop Start (terrible name) and Mobil 3000 respectively. Spoke to both, the difference is the spec Derek wrote about above ie A5 vs A3/A4, and reps from both companies told me the recommended oils are A5 to deal with economy and emmissions requirements. They both also said, unsuprisingly, that they'd be amazed if using Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 caused issues.

Agree that W30 is theoretically better than W20 in our climate but then it gets pretty hot in Nevada(Death Valley), Arizona etc in the summer too so maybe the viscosity performance for W20 normally driven even in extreme heat are fine. Then again manufacturers make cars to sell, not to necessarily last a long time. I'm switching to Edge 5W-30 at the first change.

Sponsored

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
All good stuff.

must admit the oil filter location on the EB looks heavenly compared to the GT.

once someone comes up with a plug and play RHD oil filter relocation kit I will be doing that, could work out that will be the best time to upgrade to long tube headers at the same time :-)

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
I'd be interested in this one.

Sinclair Ford have a relationship with Harrop and fit their superchargers at the dealership for customers.

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'd be interested in this one.

Sinclair Ford have a relationship with Harrop and fit their superchargers at the dealership for customers.
Yeah i know, it will be good, I'm sure you will be able to buy it through sinclair once its released

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Thanks for the list [MENTION=23500]stang_86[/MENTION]!

Is this the final list or do we have new entries?
Which one is preferred?

Cheers,

Erez

Updated Oil list

GT oil

Castrol Magnatecpro 5a 5w30
Havoline FS 5W-30
Valvolene synthetic FE 5W30
Penrite Full Synthetic 5w 30

Ecoboost Oil

Valvolene synpower FE 5W30

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Is anyone using Mobil Super™ 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30?
It seems to fit the WSS-M2C913-D specification.

Cheers,

Erez
Sponsored