Sponsored

Recommended Oil Grade/Specification

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
*** DISCLAIMER: read additional updates in the thread - I'll modify this once we get a final decision ***

This is one of those always hotly debated topics but I saw another gent on the UK section had posted his 2c so here's mine:

I use Penrite oils exclusively and there's a few reasons for that, one of which is their excellent service, Aussie roots, etc

This morning I sent them an email along the lines of the following:

Hi Team Penrite,

I've been using Penrite on all my cars for years and the time has come to select the correct oil for the mustang when mine arrives mid April.

The only issue I've noted is that the Ford mustang owners manual keeps changing its mind. Bear with me please.

Feel free to head to the ford website to check for yourself, but there's now been 3 versions of the Aus manual, and the latest (Feb update) version 3 I've attached for your convenience.

(The old ones live here: https://www.ford.com.au/owner)

Anyways, previously in version 1 and 2 the recommended Ford spec was 5W20 - "WSS-M2C945-A".

The strange thing was that it did say "If you are unable to find an oil that meets the specification defined by WSS-M2C948-B, it is acceptable to use a SAE 5W-20 oil that is defined by ACEA A5/B5"

You may notice that the spec in this recommendation didn't match the M2C945-A spec in the main table. Not to worry, your oil selection on the website of Enviro+ 5W-20 does meet both.

Curiously, version 3 of the owners manual specifies 5W-30 WSS-M2C913-D, and the ACEA A5/B5 comment has been removed. Top of page 195 does state "We recommend Motorcraft oil for your vehicle. If Motorcraft is not available, it is acceptable to use oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API certification Mark for gasoline engines"

Now I'm not one to stick strictly to manufacturer's specification i.e. I've been using HPR 0 0W-30 in my 2012 Toyota 86 and it's worked brilliantly, but that's only an SL spec and not the exact SN grade due to the full zinc content. It was recommended to me a long time ago and it's great, car uses no oil after 45K.

So, long story short:
1) Do you have a recommended oil that fits the new Ford spec 5W-30? (they appear to have caught on to the Penrite +10 rule for Oz conditions as the UK manual still states 5W-20...)

2) Can you recommend a better oil than the Ford Specified one, so that it's more suited to high performance protection rather than fuel economy/emissions?

I look forward to your reply.

And the reply which came back rather quickly was:

Dear Art,

HPR 5 (SAE 5W-40, API SN) meets Ford M2C 913-D specification and is my recommendation as best oil for your Mustangā€™s engine.

Weā€™ll keep a copy of that Manual on file, thanks for that.

Regards,
Tech Support

Make of that what you will, but I'll be dropping the factory fill at 3000 and replacing with HPR 5.

:cheers:
Sponsored

Last edited:

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Fastback, due sometime in October
Thanks for that G Rush. Does that mean you'll be doing your own servicing (doesn't that have warranty implications?) Or are you going to give them this oil? (meaning, do you actually trust them to use what you give them)

I mainly use Penrite myself, except Castrol in one car (was my father's) that has always uses Castrol.

I've never had a new car and the thought of having someone else change the oil and filter makes me feel a bit queasy. And it's bloody expensive. Which reminds me ... I remember once taking out the transmission sump plug of a front-while drive car that my dad and I was playing with (plug seemed sort of in the right place) - boy, didn't I cop some foul language for that :). Luckily the transmission fluid was disgustingly dirty ... But he still reminds me of that day. Possibly stupidest thing I've ever done!

OP
OP
G RUSH

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
Thanks for that G Rush. Does that mean you'll be doing your own servicing (doesn't that have warranty implications?) Or are you going to give them this oil? (meaning, do you actually trust them to use what you give them)

I mainly use Penrite myself, except Castrol in one car (was my father's) that has always uses Castrol.

I've never had a new car and the thought of having someone else change the oil and filter makes me feel a bit queasy. And it's bloody expensive. Which reminds me ... I remember once taking out the transmission sump plug of a front-while drive car that my dad and I was playing with (plug seemed sort of in the right place) - boy, didn't I cop some foul language for that :). Luckily the transmission fluid was disgustingly dirty ... But he still reminds me of that day. Possibly stupidest thing I've ever done!
I get my Toyota 86 serviced at a dealership where the service manager modifies and races two 86's and is fairly involved in the racing scene in Perth. I provide them with the HPR 0 I use for the 86.

To be honest, I don't know what to tell you when it comes to dealer servicing. I've heard so many horror stories, that I can't confidently tell you to use a dealer.

However, if you happen to find one where you know a mechanic, or the dealer is more into the car scene in your city than other dealers who are not involved, then it's usually a safer bet.

I think log book servicing during the warranty period via the factory outfit works well for resale as well, because I personally wouldn't buy a special car off some bloke who's done 'his own servicing', unless I know him or 'of him' haha

When it comes to mine, I'm currently looking into it in Perth. The state mustang club operates out of a dealer so i'll have a look into that, but I also know a mechanic at the dealership where I ordered so i'll be speaking to him as well.

I'd like it to be serviced at Ford for at least the warranty period, but i'll be providing the oil!

Reactions: MC

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G Rush, the Coyote takes 7.6 litres, so I guess you will get some back if you give them two 5L oil containers (I actually don't know what the right word is). Put I'm terrified of them taking my good stuff, and mixing a little of it with some junk. At least with something like your 86 you'd only need one 5L and you'd have about a litre left over.

I'm at the Gold Coast, so we've not much choice. I suppose could find a dealer in Brisbane if I get a bad feeling. All a gamble really if you don't do it yourself slowly and methodically.

OP
OP
G RUSH

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
G Rush, the Coyote takes 7.6 litres, so I guess you will get some back if you give them two 5L oil containers (I actually don't know what the right word is). Put I'm terrified of them taking my good stuff, and mixing a little of it with some junk. At least with something like your 86 you'd only need one 5L and you'd have about a litre left over.

I'm at the Gold Coast, so we've not much choice. I suppose could find a dealer in Brisbane if I get a bad feeling. All a gamble really if you don't do it yourself slowly and methodically.
Knew this would come up - see this is why you need someone on the inside you can trust haha

IIRC, 86 takes 5.6 litres, so i've typically purchased a 5L and a 1L on special when Repco have a 20% off sale. They hand me back the 400 mL in the 1L to use as top up.

Car doesn't burn oil, so i've never used the top up haha

Yes i'll be providing them with 2 x 5L containers and expecting the rest to be returned.

Cheers

Art

Sponsored

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knew this would come up - see this is why you need someone on the inside you can trust haha

IIRC, 86 takes 5.6 litres
That's quite a bit more than I imagined for an 86. I still have one of my first cars, an old Celica with the 5SFE and I'm pretty sure it's a bit less than 5L - I've been changing the oil for so long that I can't even tell you what it takes (book's at home).

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
That latest spec oil listed by Ford used to only be made by two suppliers, Valvoline Synpower FE and Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5w30, they use that in almost all of the new models - petrol and diesel.

I'm surprised they aren't using the same spec as the Miami motor, it's 5w20 iirc?

OP
OP
G RUSH

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
That latest spec oil listed by Ford used to only be made by two suppliers, Valvoline Synpower FE and Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5w30, they use that in almost all of the new models - petrol and diesel.

I'm surprised they aren't using the same spec as the Miami motor, it's 5w20 iirc?
Pardon the pun, but the plot thickens.

Penrite checked with some 'Service Menu' people at Ford and:

Dear Art,

The folk who do the ā€˜Service Menusā€™ for Ford in Oz tell us that WSS M2C948B at 5W-20 is still the recommendation.
That puts the official Penrite position at odds with the latest Ownerā€™s Manual.

If I said this was confusing, would you believe me?
The day you pick up the car might be the time to ask the service folk to tell you the spec they work to----this should be that one I typed above.

Perhaps.

Best of luck.

So, essentially, Rev3 of the manual states WSS-M2C913-D is the correct oil, but this contradicts Ford's 'Service Menu' folks, whoever they are, saying Rev 1 and 2 were correct.

I'm in contact with the Penrite guys and will let you know what I find, but we may see a rev4 owner's manual soon :lol:

Am I surprised to see this? No.

Edit: I've contacted Ford on FB...

Last edited:

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
The UK manual says for the ecoboost:
Engine Oil - 5W-30 - specification WSS-M2C913-D
If you are unable to find an engine oil that meets the specification defined by
WSS-M2C913-D, it is acceptable to use a SAE 5W-30 engine oil that is defined by
ACEA A5/B5.
And shows a "Castrol" logo...

for the V8 it says:
Engine Oil - 5W-20 WSS-M2C948-B
WSS-M2C948-B, it is acceptable to use a SAE 5W-20 engine oil that is defined by
ACEA A5/B5.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
In light of this, I suspect that they've listed the Ecoboost oil for the GT in the latest revision. Mine has the 5w20 listed in the spec, so it must be an older manual.

Sponsored

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In light of this, I suspect that they've listed the Ecoboost oil for the GT in the latest revision. Mine has the 5w20 listed in the spec, so it must be an older manual.
This seems likely enough. I can't believe that it would be 5W-20 for the Miami and not the Coyote. They're not that different internally surely.

OP
OP
G RUSH

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
The UK manual says for the ecoboost:
Engine Oil - 5W-30 - specification WSS-M2C913-D
WSS-M2C913-D, it is acceptable to use a SAE 5W-30 engine oil that is defined by
ACEA A5/B5.
And shows a "Castrol" logo...

for the V8 it says:
Engine Oil - 5W-20 WSS-M2C948-B
WSS-M2C948-B, it is acceptable to use a SAE 5W-20 engine oil that is defined by
ACEA A5/B5.
Yep, except ours said 5W20 - "WSS-M2C945-A" for the V8 previously.

I agree, maybe it's a typo and accidental copy paste from the EB spec.

I'll have an update from Ford and Penrite today.

Cheers

OP
OP
G RUSH

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
So the fun continues.

I had a chat with Ford on FB and then with Penrite afterwards.

Capture.PNG

and the Penrite response:

Dear Artur,

Weā€™re investigating further and stirring up the mud at this end.
It looks like Ford Australia/US/possibly with involvement of UK are all confused.

Iā€™m not recommending anything at the moment for this car.

I wonder what would a Ford dealer here would actually put in.

Regards
Tech Support

Ford can send me a bill once they've made their mind up :headbonk:

Polystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang - Race Red, Manual Fastback GT
So the fun continues.

I had a chat with Ford on FB and then with Penrite afterwards.

Capture.PNG

and the Penrite response:

Dear Artur,

Weā€™re investigating further and stirring up the mud at this end.
It looks like Ford Australia/US/possibly with involvement of UK are all confused.

Iā€™m not recommending anything at the moment for this car.

I wonder what would a Ford dealer here would actually put in.

Regards
Tech Support

Ford can send me a bill once they've made their mind up :headbonk:

If neither Ford FB or Penrite can spell your name right than how are they going to know what oil to put in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh:

OP
OP
G RUSH

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
If neither Ford FB or Penrite can spell your name right than how are they going to know what oil to put in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh:
hahaha

It is actually Artur (no h) because I'm a filthy european - so Penrite have got their shit together.

But yeh Ford's variation 'Arhur' sounds like they've got a bad throat
Sponsored