Sponsored

Rear passenger side rattle/buzz

marcogerges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Hello guys. So I picked my 2015 Mustang ecoboost on January 29th. since day one I had a really bad buzz/rattle that is so obvious and loud whenever i'm driving at high speeds (especially on the highway) or if there are SLIGHT imperfections in the road. Tbh with how quiet the car's interior is....this drives me nuts! I hate it! and it makes me hate getting into the car and doing my 45 minute morning commute. I had a 2011 GT with extremely loud flowmaster outlaws before I had this car, and it never buzzed or rattled like this car did. I'm so disappointed! I took it to a dealership next to my house, and they isolated the sound to the rear passenger quarter panel. They added some padding I guess, and the sounds was gone for a little over three weeks. now it's back again and it's getting worse. I told them that the sound is back again, and I was literally told "since the rattle is coming from somewhere close to the airbags, there's nothing more we can do. just turn the music up" seriously? why does my brand new 35 thousand dollar car rattle like a 10 year old honda civic?? can anyone please help me fix this rattle on my own? did anyone have this buzz before and found a way to let it go? please let me know! thanks

here's a link to the sound
Sponsored

kosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost
Same issues here just left they dealer they said they can't replicate the problem and they can't fix it now I need to wait for it to become noticeble same here pissed as hell that 3 week old car had rattles

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Same issues here just left they dealer they said they can't replicate the problem and they can't fix it now I need to wait for it to become noticeble same here pissed as hell that 3 week old car had rattles
Hey Kosa,

Is there another dealer nearby? As dealerships are independently owned, if you'd like to get a second opinion, that's an option. Just let me know before you take it in via PM.

Hello guys. So I picked my 2015 Mustang ecoboost on January 29th. since day one I had a really bad buzz/rattle that is so obvious and loud whenever i'm driving at high speeds (especially on the highway) or if there are SLIGHT imperfections in the road. Tbh with how quiet the car's interior is....this drives me nuts! I hate it! and it makes me hate getting into the car and doing my 45 minute morning commute. I had a 2011 GT with extremely loud flowmaster outlaws before I had this car, and it never buzzed or rattled like this car did. I'm so disappointed! I took it to a dealership next to my house, and they isolated the sound to the rear passenger quarter panel. They added some padding I guess, and the sounds was gone for a little over three weeks. now it's back again and it's getting worse. I told them that the sound is back again, and I was literally told "since the rattle is coming from somewhere close to the airbags, there's nothing more we can do. just turn the music up" seriously? why does my brand new 35 thousand dollar car rattle like a 10 year old honda civic?? can anyone please help me fix this rattle on my own? did anyone have this buzz before and found a way to let it go? please let me know! thanks

here's a link to the sound
Hey marcogerges,

If the initial fix didn't take, send over a PM. I'll look into options on my end to further assist.

Jeff

N_Angeli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited
I'm experiencing the same issue in addition to a rattle in the passenger door and around the headlight control. I dropped the car off at the dealership yesterday. Hopefully they're able to resolve it.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm experiencing the same issue in addition to a rattle in the passenger door and around the headlight control. I dropped the car off at the dealership yesterday. Hopefully they're able to resolve it.
Let me know if there's any updates, N_Angeli. If you need assistance on my end, PM your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Jeff

Sponsored

tofercali

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tofer
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Redline on 20's
Was recently on a long road trip and over the course of the drive the same passenger rear quarter noise showed up and grew louder and louder. It truly was REALLY annoying. I pulled the lower seat cushion and trim panel out and discovered a number of fasteners missing. I used 1 inch wide 1/4 inch thick foam (Autozone) and placed it where these fasteners were supposed to be. This helped but did not solve all of the noise. Interestingly, the corresponding holes were missing in the interior metal areas where the fasteners would have snapped into. There were flat spots but no holes.

That said, I actually found most of the noise was from the trim piece around the rear quarter window. I put as much foam as possible anywhere this piece touched metal. It helped but did not 100% solve the problem. I finally ended up shoving a pair of rolled up socks in a cavity inside this trim piece just at the rear of the quarter window. This has solved 95% of the noise. Only really rough bumps make it occur. This is a really tricky one and I plan to fix it right this weekend. All of the parts just pull off, no tools are necessary.

OP
OP

marcogerges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Was recently on a long road trip and over the course of the drive the same passenger rear quarter noise showed up and grew louder and louder. It truly was REALLY annoying. I pulled the lower seat cushion and trim panel out and discovered a number of fasteners missing. I used 1 inch wide 1/4 inch thick foam (Autozone) and placed it where these fasteners were supposed to be. This helped but did not solve all of the noise. Interestingly, the corresponding holes were missing in the interior metal areas where the fasteners would have snapped into. There were flat spots but no holes.

That said, I actually found most of the noise was from the trim piece around the rear quarter window. I put as much foam as possible anywhere this piece touched metal. It helped but did not 100% solve the problem. I finally ended up shoving a pair of rolled up socks in a cavity inside this trim piece just at the rear of the quarter window. This has solved 95% of the noise. Only really rough bumps make it occur. This is a really tricky one and I plan to fix it right this weekend. All of the parts just pull off, no tools are necessary.
Thank you so much for your reply. I will definetly show your reply to the service manager at the Ford dealership that I'll be visiting next week. Was the sound that you experienced similar to the one that's depicted in the video I uploaded? I also occasionally get an extremely high pitched buzz when I go over lane dividers or rough road patches.

tofercali

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tofer
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Redline on 20's
Thank you so much for your reply. I will definetly show your reply to the service manager at the Ford dealership that I'll be visiting next week. Was the sound that you experienced similar to the one that's depicted in the video I uploaded? I also occasionally get an extremely high pitched buzz when I go over lane dividers or rough road patches.
That is most definitely the exact sound. And like your car, it is only on the passenger side. So far anyway. If your car is like mine, when the large lower interior trim panel is removed, you can tap on the piece surrounding the quarter window and it will buzz just as it does when driving. I kept adding foam (and socks) until there was no buzz. I'm sure I can find a more elegant solution when I have time but this worked for now.

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
That little stinker has invaded my car as well within the last 2 weeks. Been driving me nuts. Thanks for the effort and I'm waiting to see your final solution. I'm hesitant to bring it to the dealer as well.

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have the same thing, but fortunately or unfortunately it is not always present. I pulled the trim piece out as much as I dared try (not all the way), and feel it is coming from this fairly large piece of very dense and NOISY foam that is attached to the inside of the panel. I tried shoving a rolled up rag to keep it from moving and it seemed to work fairly well but I was not able to completely get the panel back clicked in. So I removed that and got desperate and started spraying silicone spray inside the panel on that dense foam. DON'T DO THAT! It made the noise louder.

Since all of this a few weeks back it seems to have quieted up some so I think the spray may have worn off. But it is not completely gone.

I personally would like to know the best way to completely remove the panel so I can figure it out on my own and fix it, without just prying it out a bit and contorting myself to see in.

I am not one to take my car in to dealers for rattles, because they always add 5 times more.

Sponsored
OP
OP

marcogerges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Quick update. so I took the car to the dealership yesterday, and it's like a freaking kid going to see the doctor. On my way there the car drove like a damn Bentley! I think that there was no wind noise whatsoever even when I was doing 60 mph! lol. Dropped the car off at 10 am, they called at 5 and said they couldn't replicate the noise and that they're gonna keep the car over night (hopefully they didn't take it home with them to show it off to their friends and family) and they're gonna check first thing in the morning. 10 minutes ago I got a phone call saying they drove it on the highway again (with over a total of 40 miles worth of driving)and they couldn't replicate the noise again. so ehh, i'll just go pick up the car now and hopefully I don't hear that rattle anymore

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I think I have the same thing. I have a vibration buzz/noise coming from the right rear. I also think it is in the interior trim quarter panel or possibly rear window trim. It does it pretty much all the time on any road surface that is not 100% smooth. I might take it in, but put me on the list of people who would like to know how this panel comes off and how to self-fix.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think I have the same thing. I have a vibration buzz/noise coming from the right rear. I also think it is in the interior trim quarter panel or possibly rear window trim. It does it pretty much all the time on any road surface that is not 100% smooth. I might take it in, but put me on the list of people who would like to know how this panel comes off and how to self-fix.
Hey 15Pony,

If you're taking her to the dealer, send over a PM. Include your VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and dealer info. I'll loop in a customer service manager to further assist with the repair process. :)

Jeff

OP
OP

marcogerges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
For some reason mine just went away all on its own. But now I'm getting some terrible rattles from the dashboard, the instrumental cluster, the glove box, the right door, and the center console lol. I keep getting a lot of creaking, cracking, buzzing and rattling noises everyday... And everyday they're different. I just kinda gave up on them though, that's what I get from buying a Ford. No more Fords for me after I'm done with this one

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Just got back from a long road trip in which my new GT-PP developed this passenger side interior rear rattle! I HATE IT!!!!!!!
Sounds like the upper quarter trim to me.

Can these trim panels just be pulled off?
Sponsored