Sponsored

JL c5-653...to sell or not to sell?

NemesisOfZod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium
So I am considering going with a full active setup in my car, instead of running the JL 3 ways that I have. Should I sell the JL and go full active? If so, what should I ask for the JL?
Sponsored

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
I just installed the JL c5 2 ways in mine and am running them active with the xd700/5 amp. I am very pleased with the results. I would expect the 3 ways to be stellar run active. Good luck either way!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Why not just make the JL speakers active. So long as all the speakers themselves are 4-ohm, which I believe they are, you're fine.

In fact, I've done that with those very speakers in someone's car using an Audison bit.1 for processing and the bit.Tune to auto-tune it (some adjustment there-after) and it sounded great.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
If you are happy with the sound of the JL's, then I would agree with wildcatgoal, just ditch the passive crossover they came with and use them active...

Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I just installed the JL c5 2 ways in mine and am running them active with the xd700/5 amp. I am very pleased with the results. I would expect the 3 ways to be stellar run active. Good luck either way!
Did you run new wires or wire into the factory wires going into the doors.

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
armykyle1, I ran new wires from the amp in the trunk to the tweeters. For the mids I used the harness adapter from OEM on here to access the wires for the doors. I wanted to run new wires there as well but for what I expected to be minimal gain for maximum effort, I did not.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
armykyle1, I ran new wires from the amp in the trunk to the tweeters. For the mids I used the harness adapter from OEM on here to access the wires for the doors. I wanted to run new wires there as well but for what I expected to be minimal gain for maximum effort, I did not.
I can definitely understand that. On my BMW I ran new wires which was easier than I thought it would be. But I was running 150wrms to my mid bass.

I'm really trying to justify upgrading my stock speakers, but I barely drive the car. Less than 5,000mi in 20 months.

I have a zed audio leviathan I should send off (no output) which would be great for a 3 way active front stage.

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
I am in the same boat as far as time and mileage, 18 month, 4,400 miles. Mostly just a weekender for me and some road trips coming up. But when you are used to better sound I just found it really difficult to listen to. I only have the base 6 speaker system and decided to up the quality but still keep it basic. I feel that I have found the sweet spot. I just run the front stage and a sub, no rears at this time.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I am in the same boat as far as time and mileage, 18 month, 4,400 miles. Mostly just a weekender for me and some road trips coming up. But when you are used to better sound I just found it really difficult to listen to. I only have the base 6 speaker system and decided to up the quality but still keep it basic. I feel that I have found the sweet spot. I just run the front stage and a sub, no rears at this time.
Mileage is the same story for me too, I have a one mile commute to work.

I think that if you have a proper front stage, you will never know there are no rear speakers anyways. Spend the money that you would have on speakers and extra amp channels on door treatments and a great install instead.
Sponsored