Sponsored

Fog Light Adjustment?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I was wondering if there is an adjustment for the vertical aim on the fog lights? To me they seem pointed waaay too low. I often drive some roads with very old striping that has lost all of its reflectiveness and is nearly impossible to see in the dark when it rains, or let alone be foggy. When I turn them on I can barely see any difference on the road except a little bit off to the left and right side of the car, but nothing forward enough to deem useful. It seems most of the other S550s in my area use them only to supplement the DRLs lol.
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Raising them would defeat the purpose of fog lights:frusty: what you are after is auxiliary lights. Fog lights are meant to be used instead of headlights in dense fog. The actual headlights cause too much reflection of the light back to the driver causing the whiteout loss of vision.

OP
OP
Ze White Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Raising them would defeat the purpose of fog lights:frusty: what you are after is auxiliary lights. Fog lights are meant to be used instead of headlights in dense fog. The actual headlights cause too much reflection of the light back to the driver causing the whiteout loss of vision.
I understand the purpose/use of fog lights lol, and I'm not trying to raise them to a headlight level, I would just like them raised enough so that they're beneficial in poor visibility conditions. Right now they only really illuminate the front 3 or so feet of the ground directly in front of the bumper that I can't even see while sitting in the seat.

HavasuCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Competition Orange
I don't use them. As for any help on a dark road they're worthless. Guessing just for the "cool" look.

My s197 had usable driving lights.

Real fog lights are typically amber not bright white.

PIsenhour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Dark Matter Gray Metallic
Fog lights on most cars are just for looks and really give no assistance in fog. I have had my Mustang for almost a year and have yet to use them. As for raising them I wouldn't because then you will probably annoy the hell out of on-coming cars with more light in their eyes.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I haven't looked at mine, but they're pointed at the ground like yours. Our Explorer has an adjustment screw on the back side of the housing that will adjust them up and down. I would think these do to.

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
They may not help in fog but they do throw a lot more light on the road if you travel in pitch black areas like I do....and they look cool!

HavasuCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Competition Orange
They may not help in fog but they do throw a lot more light on the road if you travel in pitch black areas like I do....and they look cool!

You must have the working ones, LOL

I drive on pitch black roads every night and mine only throw out a little side light so they just stay off.

But they do look cool.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Fog lights are supposed to be low because it reduces glare by changing the flood pattern so the light won't be bounced back at the driver.
If you want to see the signs, just turn on the high beam.
Another thing helps is reducing your dash back light when it's really dark but yes high beam can be used.

Reactions: Yan

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
There is an adjustment knob on the light housing.
The headlights are aimed pitifully low as well. There is an adjustment screw for that as well.
386582_alt2?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg

Bottom left, there is a screw in there.

And here is your headlight adjuster, right on top of the housing

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
My fog lights automatically turn on when the headlights come on. There's gotta be a way to re-aim them.
High beams work just fine if you want to blind on-coming traffic. :lol:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Raising them only defeats the purpose if you raise them up too high. When they're too low from the get-go, they're already defeating their own purpose by throwing most of their illumination too close to the car to be at all useful.

It may take a little experimentation to find the 'right' height.

In any case, they can and do provide good fill-in light for what the headlights don't cover as well as they perhaps should. I'd MacGyver a fix before I'd let them stay uselessly low (aka ornamentation lighting). Wouldn't be the first time.

Norm

OP
OP
Ze White Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
There is an adjustment knob on the light housing.
The headlights are aimed pitifully low as well. There is an adjustment screw for that as well.
386582_alt2?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg

Bottom left, there is a screw in there.

And here is your headlight adjuster, right on top of the housing
Exactly the info I was looking for! I knew about the adjustment for the headlights but didn't wanna start taking stuff apart for a fog light adjustment if there wasn't one. Thanks! The headlights arent too bad on mine but I may try a half turn of adjustment and see what that does for them.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I went in through the wheel well to adjust my fog/driving lights. Agreed - we have very little fog, and the light pattern sucks from the factory. I adjusted mine upwards just enough to "touch" the pattern where the headlights stops. Now mine actually do something and I love them.

OP
OP
Ze White Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I went in through the wheel well to adjust my fog/driving lights. Agreed - we have very little fog, and the light pattern sucks from the factory. I adjusted mine upwards just enough to "touch" the pattern where the headlights stops. Now mine actually do something and I love them.
Do you happen to remember if it's just a Phillips screwdriver for the adjustment, or if it's a hex/torx? And did you do your adjustments with the lights shining on a wall or the lights pointed down the road?
Sponsored