Sponsored

Noob question, don't kill me.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Yo so I picked my car up from the shop today, drove about 3 blocks and it ran out of gas. First time I've ever ran out of fuel in any vehicle. Anyway I went over and grabbed a 2 gallon gas can and tried to fill the car back up.

2 things happened. One the car regertated the first little bit because of that safety feature so a bit of gasoline got on the side of the car. Secondly the gas can I got was total shit and the funnel was locked so I basically poured the gas straight into the tank with no funnel (except for the ome you jam into the car) As the wind was blowing. Does that do anything to the fuel? Should I be worried about anything or is this just normal stuff.

Thanks everyone
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You're fine. Everything is good.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Normal fun stuff encountered when running out of gas. No worries.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You will be fine. Although rinse the spilled area. Gas is safe for the paint but the additives in the gas might not be.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Also, I wouldn't feel too embarrassed about running out of gas from the shop... In my experience, shops sometimes run the tank super low, and that's one situation where it's common to not really be immediately thinking about how much gas you have.

I wish shops would at least make sure a gallon or two is in the tank when giving you the car as a courtesy...

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I don't know man. You aerated that fuel. Might be worth an extra 127 HP. Be careful with all that extra new found power. :D

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
EZ Funnel for Capless Fuel Systems

Happens to everyone the first time with a capless fuel system.
Just buy a EZ Funnel at any Auto Parts store along with your gas can in case of emergency. ;)

[ame]

:thumbsup:

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Did your shop drain your gas tank? Or going 3 blocks means that you rolled into the shop with a truly empty tank. The fuel pump is in the fuel tank and is cooled by the gas in the tank. Not good to run totally dry and especially if you do it in warm/hot weather.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Did your shop drain your gas tank? Or going 3 blocks means that you rolled into the shop with a truly empty tank. The fuel pump is in the fuel tank and is cooled by the gas in the tank. Not good to run totally dry and especially if you do it in warm/hot weather.
No worries,those S550 series Mustangs are Built like a tank they can take anything.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I'm not sure about the Mustang in particular, but I think this is less true with a lot of modern cars. They often use this "subtank" design that holds the last small amount of fuel around the pump.

... But generally probably still a good idea to not let your gas that low, anyways, heh.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Don't we all have a white funnel thing in the rear trunk where the wheel compressor fixer machine is? Mines have a small and skinny white funnel located there and I assume its for the capless gas hole?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The car comes with a white plastic funnel - its located in trunk under the spare tire cover in wheel well.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Try not to let the car run dry like that since it isn't good like others mentioned. It only happened once, so you're fine.

Don't let this stress you out for no reason!

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Well you all have been very helpful which I'm extremely appreciative of. What happened was I took my car to the shop with maybe an eighth of a tank but it was there for about 3 weeks so the blame is entirely on me. Funny enough I had never seen the white stick/funnel tool before but when I opened my truck there it was smack dab in the middle as if my mechanic knew I was gonna need it.
Sponsored