LoveMyWheels

LoveMyWheels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base, Automatic Transmision
Flow masters.. damn it sucks when you miss important detail before purchase. Corsas definitely don't drone.
Fully agree :frusty:
Sponsored

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
I just installed the Borla Touring catback, and I have drone at 2,000k RPM as well. All gears, drone right around that 2k mark...

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
i have the bassani mid-muffler and they drone just a bit at about 1600rpm but after that they sound great. easy to install as well.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=29554]LoveMyWheels[/MENTION] .. Check this thread out I started. Another member posted a table for figuring out how long of a J-pipe to make to stop or at least calm down the drone. I just put on Pype-Bombs to go with the H-pipe that I already had on it. Will be adding J-pipes this weekend to make the 2k drone stop.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78745

OP
OP
LoveMyWheels

LoveMyWheels

LoveMyWheels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base, Automatic Transmision
@LoveMyWheels .. Check this thread out I started. Another member posted a table for figuring out how long of a J-pipe to make to stop or at least calm down the drone. I just put on Pype-Bombs to go with the H-pipe that I already had on it. Will be adding J-pipes this weekend to make the 2k drone stop.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78745
Very interesting thread. Just not sure if I am ready to put 36"+ J-pipes under my car to tackle the issue of drone below 1400rpm. That's quite some plumbing, probably more the shape of @ than J.

Sponsored

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting thread. Just not sure if I am ready to put 36"+ J-pipes under my car to tackle the issue of drone below 1400rpm. That's quite some plumbing, probably more the shape of @ than J.
They dont have to be J shaped, Here is Google Images search results for "j pipe helmholtz resonator". It mainly just the length that matters. The J shape just happens to be the shape to make things fit most of the time.
https://www.google.com/search?q=j+pi...w=1547&bih=904

Something has to be used to cancel the sound waves frequency that is producing drone. Resonators are another option, but you are going to pay for them way more than some pipe bent at a shop and its no guarantee it will fix the issue at the RPM you are wanting it for. Now I could be completely wrong as I am going off of what a buddy did to his and is about to do to his very shortly. He put the factory resonator back on after he put on long tubes and a race spec axle back it did fix some of the drone it but not in the RPM range he wanted and is now about to put on J-pipes. Adding a J-pipe that is the correct length will effectively "tune" your exhaust. It will reflect the droning sound wave back at the exhaust before it exits to cancel out said sound wave. I have seen in many places say to make sure the added J-pipe is at as much of a 90 degree connection to the exhaust as possible. Any way you go man I wish ya the best of luck!!!

kenbidwell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2020 F250 Tremor, 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP(wifes car)
Last weekend I had 28 inch J-pipes installed on my 2015 GT PP after putting on the Steeda axlebacks. Drone seemed to be about 1200 and then again at 2200. I went with 28 inches to try and cover both rpm ranges. After the J-pipes I still have a drone around 1200 but I have to lug it down in 6th gear to make it happen. There is a slight sound around 2200 that my son says is just engine noise but I still consider it to be drone. My son has a 2013 GT that is twin turbocharged so he is used to much more interior noise than I was. Overall I would say the J-pipes removed about 90-95% of the drone. I was thinking of shortening the pipes to the calculated length for 2200 rpm but I am not sure it is worth the hassle. It is not as quite now as it was with the stock exhaust but I guess that is kind of the point for installing aftermarket, the sound. It sounds great now, nice growl that it didn't have with the factory system. I guess drone is in the ears of the listener, many people say that the Steeda axlebacks do not drone. I would disagree. I first installed Roush axlebacks when I first got the car and the drone was terrible, still others say that the Roush axlebacks don't drone either. I strongly disagree. Guess you just have to go with what you like, and the addition of the J-pipes has made the difference in being able to put up with the new mufflers or actually liking the sound, which I do now!

Last edited:

S550GTRed5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried driving in sport mode with the paddles?

The drone on full auto even before i had a catback is pretty much the reason why i drive in Sport with paddles all the time. I would say it's vastly improved with the paddles. This car in normal auto is terrible.

With a catback the most irritating part for me is drone up hill with the cruise control on. Sometimes a catback is awesome when the conditions and temperature are right, then other days its just annoying.

Oh and even with the J-pipes as with the solo exhaust, it doesn't completely eliminate drone, there's a lot of marketing spiel but the physics of having a bigger diameter pipe is always going to play a part. Still though for fun factor i would rate the Solo Mach XV 7 out of 10 for that nice note when your on it.

I would like to get an AWE active exhaust or Solo one if they made one just for the ability to take it down a notch when you have passengers or when you have a banging headache

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I guess I'll stick to stock after reading all this. I think the rasp comes when the resonator is removed and drone comes with some mufflers. Not looking for loud anymore...

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My Corsa Extremes have zero drone at hwy speeds 60-80mph. Cabin noise is minimal cruising or with a light foot. With a heavy foot they roar. I installed them and fit and finish were top notch.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I'll stick to stock after reading all this. I think the rasp comes when the resonator is removed and drone comes with some mufflers. Not looking for loud anymore...
Rasp is muffler-driven as well. The stock, chambered mufflers are very raspy, and not in a good way, and that's only masked by the resonator. If you do one of the quality axlebacks that does not drone you can have your cake and eat it too.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
All this being said, what's the quietest system out there?

I have the Borla touring, and it's too loud while cruising for me.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
All this being said, what's the quietest system out there?

I have the Borla touring, and it's too loud while cruising for me.
Catback? Borla Touring.

Overall? Corsa Touring axleback or FRPP touring axleback.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
Catback? Borla Touring.

Overall? Corsa Touring axleback or FRPP touring axleback.
The Borla touring catback is the quietest?

Maybe I should just stick with the h-pipe and stock mufflers then, lol .

I wonder the sound difference in the cabin with Borla touring vs. Corsa Touring.
Sponsored