Sponsored

Looks Like I Have a Date With the Body Shop

ewitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP SB
I am indeed kind of pissed. I have had a ton of bad luck with this car ever since I bought it. People are telling me to get rid of it.

The silver lining would have been if a tree fell on the parts of the car that had rock chips (hood & front bumper) but instead the parts of it that are in the best condition got hit. There wasn't one chip or scratch on that quarter or trunk. So now $10,000 later (insurance) I'm still going to have rock chips.
Just point out any chips that you want repaired to the body shop.

They can easily fix them at no cost when they have the paint gun out. They will either just bury it in the costs or write it off as goodwill.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....I have had a ton of bad luck with this car ever since I bought it. People are telling me to get rid of it.....

Dude....

I had a 2012 GT BPP car that I bought new and owned for 5 years. It was hit EIGHT TIMES!!!!

That's right, hit 8 times. Only once was I in the car, and I was sitting at a stop light and got rear-ended by a soccer mom. Every other time someone hit it while it was parked, and only once did I find out who did it. And I got over Kelly BB value when I traded it in.

Relax, it will be fixed. All will be well.

Last edited:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
The depreciation on a heavily damaged car is rough. Don't blame you for wanting to dump it.
It's not like getting rid of the car will negate the depreciation. He will pay for it in trade in. He's better off keeping it at this point.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
I do have rental coverage. I hope i can get something decent.
not sure if all or most companies offer it but usaa you can pay a little more per 6 months and get in to different classes of rentals. of course i didn't find that out until after i wrecked my truck and spent 2 weeks in a compact car.

best of luck

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Years ago when I was a bodyman, we could cut and splice in those door opening frames. You never could tell where we spliced it in.
Those days are long gone due to the metallurgy being used today to create a "cage" for safety. Our cars are made up of something like 13 different types of metal to form the chassis. No partial panel replacements anymore. It's all or nothing now.

EDIT: And this is why someone should be concerned about purchasing a repaired car with a salvage title. Once those rebuild shops buy a car, they are their own customer and can do as they wish.

Sponsored

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
not sure if all or most companies offer it but usaa you can pay a little more per 6 months and get in to different classes of rentals. of course i didn't find that out until after i wrecked my truck and spent 2 weeks in a compact car.

best of luck
I think State Farm is just a flat 80% up to $1,000. It wouldn't matter if I rented a Corolla or an F-150 Super Crew. Their contract is with Hertz for the lowest rates so I get to choose from their inventory.

bigkingkeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP
Sorry to see the state of your vehicle, good luck to you during the repair process.
I was rear ended last year and had heavy damage from the front to the bumper on the drivers side. Original estimate came in at $15k, until they realized they had to replace the roof in order to replace the quarter panel. 2 months later, and close to $20k, finally got my car back. Glad to report it looks just as fresh as the day I drove it off the lot.
I tried posting pics in another thread of the before/during/after but never figured out how to upload them on here.
My advice is find the best body shop in town and visit occasionally. I found the workers did not mind showing me the progress/challenges throughout the process.
I had 21st Century, $500 deductible which was refunded due to the other driver being at fault.

Last edited:

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Update: The body shop guy pointed out a couple dents and paint scrapes on the roof. Maybe they can PDR that but it means paint now will include the roof. Also, he was saying that based on where they have to section the upper door frame they'll have to replace that as one piece...it goes all the way around to the base of the windshield pillar. So removing the glass, cutting that whole thing out, then of course paint will include that too. This is a big freakin' deal. He estimated around 10 grand and 3 weeks. He'll have a detailed written estimate next week, the big parts are going to be ordered.

I am wondering if I need to worry about diminished value since this is not a collision? A used car appraiser might note "prior damage" if they can tell.
Hate to break it to you, but diminished value only applies if another person hits you, not when you make a self disclosed claim like this. There has to be another party to recover cost from and I don't think the tree will be able to represent its self in court haha.

toomanytires

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonny
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Package
Update: The body shop guy pointed out a couple dents and paint scrapes on the roof. Maybe they can PDR that but it means paint now will include the roof. Also, he was saying that based on where they have to section the upper door frame they'll have to replace that as one piece...it goes all the way around to the base of the windshield pillar. So removing the glass, cutting that whole thing out, then of course paint will include that too. This is a big freakin' deal. He estimated around 10 grand and 3 weeks. He'll have a detailed written estimate next week, the big parts are going to be ordered.

I am wondering if I need to worry about diminished value since this is not a collision? A used car appraiser might note "prior damage" if they can tell.
Most states do not allow a 1st party diminished value claim under your comprehensive or collision policy. Typically, 1st party DV claims are allowed only under your Uninsured Motorist policy.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Oh ok. Well would this type of repair affect my resale value?

I spoke to the body shop today and they said the official estimate was approved by SF and they've ordered parts. It came to around 7K.

Sponsored

toomanytires

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonny
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Package
Oh ok. Well would this type of repair affect my resale value?

I spoke to the body shop today and they said the official estimate was approved by SF and they've ordered parts. It came to around 7K.
If the damage is reported to carfax, most likely.

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
If the damage is reported to carfax, most likely.
Correct. If you know the body shop, you may be able to tell them not to report it. Some shops don't report repairs at all, I don't think there is a law requiring they do, at least not in my state.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I was under the assumption that the insurance agency reported it not the shop...

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Well it doesn't matter now. Bad news. They totaled it. I got a call from Insurance and did a conference call with the body shop to try and get an explanation. He said that at first he thought he could section the upper door surround, but when he went to put it in the system there was an advisory from Ford that they do not recommend cutting it, you must replace the entire surround, down the pillar. And this piece is welded under the roof panel so you must replace the roof panel. This now means cutting the other 3 sides of the roof off, also dropping the dash to gain access to the left pillar, welding, extra painting bringing the grand total to almost $14,000 which is more than 75% so its a total.

I brought the car in on Monday. I asked him if he submitted the claim and got approval, he said no problem its only around $7,000. 5 days later I get this call. Something just does not sound right. The insurance lady said yeah, it was $7,000 but then you have to add 30 some hours of labor, 20-some hours paint labor, etc and then there was a $2,000 supplement. Shouldn't he have known which parts can't be sectioned? They did not do anything to my car. It was sitting in the lot all week. It sounds fishy that it took so long to figure this out when the damage was obvious on the outside.

So they are paying me $19k for the car - which I think is more than I could have gotten anywhere for a non-damaged V6 Mustang.

I have to buy a car and one place I will not be visiting is a Ford dealer.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Well it doesn't matter now. Bad news. They totaled it. I got a call from Insurance and did a conference call with the body shop to try and get an explanation. He said that at first he thought he could section the upper door surround, but when he went to put it in the system there was an advisory from Ford that they do not recommend cutting it, you must replace the entire surround, down the pillar. And this piece is welded under the roof panel so you must replace the roof panel. This now means cutting the other 3 sides of the roof off, also dropping the dash to gain access to the left pillar, welding, extra painting bringing the grand total to almost $14,000 which is more than 75% so its a total.

I brought the car in on Monday. I asked him if he submitted the claim and got approval, he said no problem its only around $7,000. 5 days later I get this call. Something just does not sound right. The insurance lady said yeah, it was $7,000 but then you have to add 30 some hours of labor, 20-some hours paint labor, etc and then there was a $2,000 supplement. Shouldn't he have known which parts can't be sectioned? They did not do anything to my car. It was sitting in the lot all week. It sounds fishy that it took so long to figure this out when the damage was obvious on the outside.

So they are paying me $19k for the car - which I think is more than I could have gotten anywhere for a non-damaged V6 Mustang.

I have to buy a car and one place I will not be visiting is a Ford dealer.
I see why you're upset but honestly totaling it is probably for the best. They paid you a good sum too. I think if you're really upset you can insist on getting a second opinion.

That's the problem with cars, there is ALWAYS more damage than there appears to be.

At any rate I hope you get a nice new ride.
Sponsored