Looks Like I Have a Date With the Body Shop

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Well this happened. Severe thunderstorm, bolt of lightning splits the tree next to my car, and my entire quarter panel including window is toast. Its rippled at the roof seam all the way to the tail light, and the housing is cracked. Trunk lid is bent too.

I've seen pics on other threads of replacing a quarter panel and its a freakin' huge job.

surprisingly, despite where the tree is in the picture there does not seem to be scratches on the bumper cover. Rear window is not cracked either.

I'll be visiting the body shop tomorrow...
car.jpg
Sponsored

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
dude, that sucks. hopefully its a quick turn around.this weekend i came out to my car in a parking lot and the passenger door was blasted in. no note, nothing. terrible feeling.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I also noticed how easily the paint flaked off. All the white areas in the picture on the pillar and roof edge are missing paint, plus its dented in those areas. I could literally peel the paint off the panel.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
yeah, mine did the same. as did the fender where my drag radials rubbed a little. flakes off really easily actually.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Insurance covers this right?

Sponsored

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
State Farm. And I went with no deductible because I kept getting windshield cracks and I was tired of paying $250 each time. Plus I have rental coverage.

I am really hoping they use a new part and not a quarter panel from a salvage yard.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I also noticed how easily the paint flaked off. All the white areas in the picture on the pillar and roof edge are missing paint, plus its dented in those areas. I could literally peel the paint off the panel.
Is that car ruby red as well?

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Make sure you get a reputable shop. This is work you don't want to come back and bite ya in the ass.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Junk yard panel would cost more in labor to prep it for install. Highly doubt it will be done that way.

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
dude, that sucks. hopefully its a quick turn around.this weekend i came out to my car in a parking lot and the passenger door was blasted in. no note, nothing. terrible feeling.
Sorry to hear that. My biggest fear, some people are such trash. It's why I park basically 50yards away from everybody.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
State Farm. And I went with no deductible because I kept getting windshield cracks and I was tired of paying $250 each time. Plus I have rental coverage.

I am really hoping they use a new part and not a quarter panel from a salvage yard.
Things like this they will usually get new panel instead of from a salvage yard.
It's a lot of work. My buddy just went though that. It's gonna be at least a month maybe more.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Update: The body shop guy pointed out a couple dents and paint scrapes on the roof. Maybe they can PDR that but it means paint now will include the roof. Also, he was saying that based on where they have to section the upper door frame they'll have to replace that as one piece...it goes all the way around to the base of the windshield pillar. So removing the glass, cutting that whole thing out, then of course paint will include that too. This is a big freakin' deal. He estimated around 10 grand and 3 weeks. He'll have a detailed written estimate next week, the big parts are going to be ordered.

I am wondering if I need to worry about diminished value since this is not a collision? A used car appraiser might note "prior damage" if they can tell.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Reminds me of the STi that got rear ended on NASIOC the other year and the basically replaced the whole rear and side of the car because it didn't damage the frame and wasn't enough to total it. By the time it was done you would have NEVER noticed that they cut the panels, welded and smoothed out new ones, etc. A good shop should have you looking like a new car. Best of luck to you. Hopefully you have rental as well.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Might as well use this as an opportunity to go with the premium bumper

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I don't think they are replacing the bumper. I wiped all the leaves off and looked at it carefully, I did not see any scratches. I was worried about the tabs attaching to the quarter because it was pulled away a bit but the body guy said it did not look broken.

I do have rental coverage. I hope i can get something decent.
Sponsored