Sponsored

Shift knobs

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I'm not sure if I'll swap out the factory knob that comes with my 17 GT for something else. I see most people will go with a black or white knob which is classic. But there's endless designs/options when it comes to knobs including a rethreaded GT350 knob which I think does look sharp. Not sure how comfortable it'd be over a smooth ball.

Something else I've seen is people using heavy or weighted knobs. They seem to report better function out of them. But it makes me curious if it's going to do any damage over time to the shifting/trans mechanisms.

Feel free to share pics of what you went with.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It can't cause damage.
Oh ok. I'm pretty sure I've heard you shouldn't ride with your hand on the shifter as it does something bad to the shifting/trans over time. I was thinking, if it was true, this would run the same risk.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I had one of those CF knobs on my ST. It was part of a carbon option package on the 16's
It was nice, but not heavy enough. Almost stock knob weight.
After 7 different knobs on 2 different cars, I'm staying with a Stainless Ball from WC Lathewerks. Weighs almost a pound, and I can shift gears with 1 finger.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OkI had one of those CF knobs on my ST. It was part of a carbon option package on the 16's
It was nice, but not heavy enough. Almost stock knob weight.
After 7 different knobs on 2 different cars, I'm staying with a Stainless Ball from WC Lathewerks. Weighs almost a pound, and I can shift gears with 1 finger.
And again, doesn't do any damage long term to any of the shifter/trans parts right?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
No damage

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
My Boomba shift knob is heavy compared to stock and shifts so much better
Right now I have a GT350 knob on the car and I doubt I will keep it as I like the feel of the Boomba better but the the GT350 knob looks really nice

Sponsored

theduke

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
'88 Saleen Conv, '11 Brembo GT, '17 Premium PP
I had a TWM weighted knob on my 2011 and loved it. No issues from using it for years. Currently have a WC Lathewerks stainless sphere on order for the '17and from what I can tell will be pretty comparable to the old TWM.
No offense but i read that ENTIRE shift knob thread and for the life of me can't figure out the motivation behind some of that stuff. How many logos, manufacturer name, sayings etc...do you really need in your car?
It's a shift knob. It serves a purpose.
Does it really have to tell people what it is, who makes it, what make of vehicle the person is sitting in blah blah blah haha
Might as well cover your seats with Affliction logos while you're at it.
Maybe it's just me.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I had a TWM weighted knob on my 2011 and loved it. No issues from using it for years. Currently have a WC Lathewerks stainless sphere on order for the '17and from what I can tell will be pretty comparable to the old TWM.
No offense but i read that ENTIRE shift knob thread and for the life of me can't figure out the motivation behind some of that stuff. How many logos, manufacturer name, sayings etc...do you really need in your car?
Does it really have to tell people what it is, who makes it, what make of vehicle the person is sitting in blah blah blah haha
Maybe it's just me.
LOL! I bought my car used with 8k on it, an older guy owned it before me. They only thing he changed was the shift knob.....Roush. No idea why!

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it's just me.
On one hand, totally see your point. It's a shift knob...that's all it does. On the other hand, I read in a few places that the Mustang is the most modified car on the planet. So if a guy wants to have some of his cat's petrified dingle berries molded inside of a clear acrylic ball and shift with that...I suppose he should have the capability.

-Emt1581

theduke

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
'88 Saleen Conv, '11 Brembo GT, '17 Premium PP
So if a guy wants to have some of his cat's petrified dingle berries molded inside of a clear acrylic ball and shift with that...I suppose he should have the capability.

-Emt1581
Ha! Got me with that one!

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
On one hand, totally see your point. It's a shift knob...that's all it does. On the other hand, I read in a few places that the Mustang is the most modified car on the planet. So if a guy wants to have some of his cat's petrified dingle berries molded inside of a clear acrylic ball and shift with that...I suppose he should have the capability.

-Emt1581
I get it......I spent an hour Saturday researching caliper covers before I came to my senses.
Sponsored