Sponsored

Please help a COMPLETE noob.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, I went out to the local 1/8th mile strip on the weekend, first time ever.
Track and conditions were "terrible" according to the seasoned veterans. Something in the order of a full second off the best it has to offer.
Best I could mange was an 8.5 @ 90MPH, 2.1 60ft (I know right)
Car is MANUAL. My launches were terrible.
Made NO changes from how I drive it on the street eg. Kiddie seats still installed, yes, seriously, just wanted a basic idea of the car's capability.

THE PLAN
Remove excess weight from the car
Purchase FF tune and run e85 (already running Lund tune)
Semi slicks on OEM wheels (I use the car on the circuit too)

QUESTIONS
I'm running AirLift bags, any suggestions on what to do with them to improve the launch? Dampers are set dead middle.
What is the widest tyre you can fit on the OEM wheel without rubbing?
Pressures?

ANY OTHER IDEAS?
If you have some tips or tricks, please feel free to share, I have ZERO experience in drag racing. :cheers:

Thanks in advance. ANY advice will be helpful.
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
weight isnt going to make much if any difference.. which factory wheels do you have? if you go with a radial make sure not to launch hard. until you replace axles it will be safer to ease out or a mild launch with feathering

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Soften suspension as much as posible. Run rear street tires at 24-30 psi and max out the front. Slip the clutch from around 2,200 or get slicks and let it rip from 5k!

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
You MPH is good for your mods, traction is key. Your likely spinning off the line and between the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. On a crap track the best you can do is drop the rear pressure like said above and then play with your shift points. I remember reading somewhere around here about short shifting 1-2 and then 2-3 in an attempt to limit the traction loss and it worked for me a couple times on a greasy track. The other thing that will help you will be making more passes. With more seat time with this car you will get the launch figured out and the shifts sorted and your times will drop!

Matt

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
weight isnt going to make much if any difference.. which factory wheels do you have? if you go with a radial make sure not to launch hard. until you replace axles it will be safer to ease out or a mild launch with feathering
Factory wheels are 19" x 9.5".
Cheers for the heads up on the breakages :cheers:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You MPH is good for your mods, traction is key. Your likely spinning off the line and between the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. On a crap track the best you can do is drop the rear pressure like said above and then play with your shift points. I remember reading somewhere around here about short shifting 1-2 and then 2-3 in an attempt to limit the traction loss and it worked for me a couple times on a greasy track. The other thing that will help you will be making more passes. With more seat time with this car you will get the launch figured out and the shifts sorted and your times will drop!

Matt
Thanks Matt. Yes, wheelspin was rampant, including the 2-3 shift. Driving like an old lady produced the best time by a mile. :cheers:

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
My best is a 8.3 @ 90.5 on 285/30/20 Street radials with a 2.0 60. You are doing decent.

Some people just flat ass know how to drive these cars and others need slicks.

I am the latter apparently LOL.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
First of all - EVERY single event I've been to except Steeda's Pony Wars people said the track prep was TERRIBLE and they could get SOOOO MUCH BETTER TIMES if it were prepped better and yada yada. And at Pony Wars we waited a long time for the prep to take place for the big boys and people complained about waiting for that, so... grain of salt. The prep is always bad when folks aren't getting the times someone told them they should get. And if there's that one wonder-unicorn car that gets great times despite everyone else saying it has the mysterious and all too common "terrible prep" - ask that guy what he did. Bet he says he slipped it (if it's a stick)...

Watch this video - these cars like slipping the clutch it seems. Best times I've seen amongst friends they all said they slipped it like this. Meanwhile, I can't get my brain to process that at a tree. I can do it anywhere else. Environmental thing I guess.

You want bias ply tires for the MT. Radials = broken shafts on the MTs all too often (seen it three times now).

[ame]

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My best is a 8.3 @ 90.5 on 285/30/20 Street radials with a 2.0 60. You are doing decent.

Some people just flat ass know how to drive these cars and others need slicks.

I am the latter apparently LOL.
:lol:
I reckon if I could take that 0.2 out of the 60ft I'd be somewhere pretty close to the limit of the tyres.
I've ordered some Federal 595RS-RR semi-slicks to help out a bit. Made sense for me to go that way cos I'm more circuit than strip - these are an each way bet.
Also decided to grab FF tune to make things a little more interesting.
The next event is on over the Easter weekend, so I'll throw some results up for anyone who's in a similar "I have no idea what I'm doing" kind of situation. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
First of all - EVERY single event I've been to except Steeda's Pony Wars people said the track prep was TERRIBLE and they could get SOOOO MUCH BETTER TIMES if it were prepped better and yada yada. And at Pony Wars we waited a long time for the prep to take place for the big boys and people complained about waiting for that, so... grain of salt. The prep is always bad when folks aren't getting the times someone told them they should get. And if there's that one wonder-unicorn car that gets great times despite everyone else saying it has the mysterious and all too common "terrible prep" - ask that guy what he did. Bet he says he slipped it (if it's a stick)...

Watch this video - these cars like slipping the clutch it seems. Best times I've seen amongst friends they all said they slipped it like this. Meanwhile, I can't get my brain to process that at a tree. I can do it anywhere else. Environmental thing I guess.

You want bias ply tires for the MT. Radials = broken shafts on the MTs all too often (seen it three times now).

Yeah, totally agree with all of that. Side-stepping the clutch was great for wheelspin and smoke but that's about all.
Unfortunately the clutch on these cars SUCK and its damn hard to modulate it, especially under the pressure of racing:headbonk:
I'll certainly be practising the technique. :cheers:

Sponsored

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
So, I went out to the local 1/8th mile strip on the weekend, first time ever.
Track and conditions were "terrible" according to the seasoned veterans. Something in the order of a full second off the best it has to offer.
Best I could mange was an 8.5 @ 90MPH, 2.1 60ft (I know right)
Car is MANUAL. My launches were terrible.
Made NO changes from how I drive it on the street eg. Kiddie seats still installed, yes, seriously, just wanted a basic idea of the car's capability.

THE PLAN
Remove excess weight from the car
Purchase FF tune and run e85 (already running Lund tune)
Semi slicks on OEM wheels (I use the car on the circuit too)

QUESTIONS
I'm running AirLift bags, any suggestions on what to do with them to improve the launch? Dampers are set dead middle.
What is the widest tyre you can fit on the OEM wheel without rubbing?
Pressures?

ANY OTHER IDEAS?
If you have some tips or tricks, please feel free to share, I have ZERO experience in drag racing. :cheers:

Thanks in advance. ANY advice will be helpful.

Hey man we're you the Aussie guy who did the YouTube vid on the BMR lockout kit install? The only install video In the world I think lol did you see any difference with the BMR lockout afterwards? .. you'll get the hang at the drag strip practice practice practice and like the others said slip that clutch

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey man we're you the Aussie guy who did the YouTube vid on the BMR lockout kit install? The only install video In the world I think lol did you see any difference with the BMR lockout afterwards? .. you'll get the hang at the drag strip practice practice practice and like the others said slip that clutch
Ha ha, yes, I'm THAT guy.
On the stock Pzeros, BIG difference in wheelhop! It came back again with a vengeance when I was launching badly on the strip though.
Any clues on what to do with the airbags and shocks?
Some of the locals are saying I should raise the front of the car, throwing more weight on the back and just soften the shocks at both ends.
I've got a CAI on the way and will be running E85 with semi slicks on the next attempt. DETERMINED to break 8 seconds!!!

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
Ha ha, yes, I'm THAT guy.
On the stock Pzeros, BIG difference in wheelhop! It came back again with a vengeance when I was launching badly on the strip though.
Any clues on what to do with the airbags and shocks?
Some of the locals are saying I should raise the front of the car, throwing more weight on the back and just soften the shocks at both ends.
I've got a CAI on the way and will be running E85 with semi slicks on the next attempt. DETERMINED to break 8 seconds!!!
Get your self a good set of vertical links if you ain't got them yet, that will help with the wheel hop... Contact BMR , they have a great set of drag springs and other suspension stuff that will help greatly .. Viking shocks ive heard good things about

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Hit up the local 1/8 for the first time with the Lund tune and was able to work my way down to an 8.09 @ 91 with a 1.999 60ft. This on stock size ContiDWS06's at 25psi, JLT intake, hodge podge catback and the FF tune on 93 octane. If I had run another couple times I might have been able to squeek into the 7's. I was going super easy on the launch, not even squeeking the tires and getting more agressive as I went, had to shift 2nd at 6500 to limit wheel spin and rode 3rd thru the beams. You should be able to hit your goals with some seat time and your mods!!!

Matt