Sponsored

Resonator Delete X-Pipe Suggestions

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I was looking at this one too. It seems like it's the cheapest one with 304. From the pictures it seems like the back end isn't flared to fit over and camp down on the factory pipe. Do the pipes just butt up and the camp holds it all together? The slightly more expensive ones like the Roush look like they would camp together a bit more securely.
Same as the Ford Racing X pipe. The one end slides in and you use the existing clamps there, the other side butts up and uses band clamps. I believe it's exactly the same as the Ford Racing X pipe with the exception of being better stainless steel. There is no welding involved so you can easily install it. Tough to beat for $149. If you decide to have a shop install it, I wouldn't pay more than $75 or so. It would probably take them like 20 minutes to do.
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Thanks, its helpful to understand that progression. What I think I'm going to do is go with that Summit Racing x pipe. If my girlfriend's uncle gets the OK for us to use the lift at his shop over a weekend, it will probably just cost me a case of beer for install. That should probably hold me over for awhile but if down the road I still want more, it sounds like the Corsa touring or Ford Performance touring axel backs would be a safe addition. It it ends up being too much with the x pipe I can add back a resonator with either a magnaflow or Borla for fairly cheap and without wasting much investment on an x pipe now.
You'll want more sound down the road. Everyone eventually wants more sound. :D I started off with just the Roush axle-backs......3 weeks later I bought the J&M X pipe. It's my daily driver, the only problem I have is cold starts, but from advice received on this forum, I simply shift into gear right away and it knocks the sound down by 50% or more instantly. They are also really tame as idle, but when you get on the gas it sounds like all hell is breaking loose. Needless to say, I am happy with my setup.

OP
OP

keeneyrm01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I ended up buying the Summit Racing one because I like the idea of the slip joint ends. The J&M or the Ford Racing with the butt style camp seem to be a week point. Even with the 304 stainless on the J&M, the clamp seems like it would be a lot thinner and have the weight of the exhaust adding more pressure to it. With the long harsh Buffalo winters it seems like that's the first place the salt would get to.

Got confirmation that we can install it over a weekend at the shop my girlfriend's Uncle works at so shouldn't cost much for install expect wings and beer afterwords. This should keep me happy for now with only having to spend $175 bucks.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully this isn't too much of a thread drift, but:
This thread has me so conflicted LOL
I have a CJ Pony X-Pipe sitting in a box in my garage, and a spare exhaust that's already pre-cut for it.

My main goal for installing this is to shed some weight (I know, not much, but I'm a fanatic for weight reduction), but I don't want the car to sound like a tin-can at WOT.

Is the raspiness significant? I know that if you put a camera right next to the mufflers and drive the car WOT (like BmacIL posted) it's pretty raspy sounding, but then I've also heard the stock exhaust, with the resonator, and it has some rasp to it as well when recorded that close up. Even listening to some H pipe + stock mufflers combos I hear a bit of raspiness from time to time. (correct me if I'm wrong on this though).

I don't rev the car out often, so my question is this:
If y'all had to describe the rpm range and throttle range of when this combo gets raspy, what would that look like? Are we talking over 3/4 throttle and 4k+ rpm? Or......

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully this isn't too much of a thread drift, but:
This thread has me so conflicted LOL
I have a CJ Pony X-Pipe sitting in a box in my garage, and a spare exhaust that's already pre-cut for it.

My main goal for installing this is to shed some weight (I know, not much, but I'm a fanatic for weight reduction), but I don't want the car to sound like a tin-can at WOT.

Is the raspiness significant? I know that if you put a camera right next to the mufflers and drive the car WOT (like BmacIL posted) it's pretty raspy sounding, but then I've also heard the stock exhaust, with the resonator, and it has some rasp to it as well when recorded that close up. Even listening to some H pipe + stock mufflers combos I hear a bit of raspiness from time to time. (correct me if I'm wrong on this though).

I don't rev the car out often, so my question is this:
If y'all had to describe the rpm range and throttle range of when this combo gets raspy, what would that look like? Are we talking over 3/4 throttle and 4k+ rpm? Or......
Almost exactly this. Otherwise it sounds pretty nice. You can hear the tinny rasp in the car.

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for confirming man, I think I'm gonna try it in that case.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Mine does not sound raspy just driving around and when it does it just sounds like any V8 race car at the track.

OP
OP

keeneyrm01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I thought I would give an update on this. I installed the x-pipe this past weekend with good results. Its definitely not a drastic volume increase in normal driving but slightly louder. Its got a much better tone though and sounds like a more proper v8. Me and my girlfriends uncle were able to knock it out in about 45 minutes using the lift in his shop.

Now for the bad... we tried to do the whole install with the exhaust on the car instead of removing the cutback and cutting when it was off. After we made the cuts and were trying to finagle the driver's side on, the whole back end of the exhaust slipped off the hanger and dropped about 6 feet. Nothing broke and luckily it didn't fall on us, but now the tip is slightly pushed in on the bottom left side. Its only very slight and not noticeable but I know its there so it bugs me. I thought about using a towel for protection and using vice grips to try to shape it back to a perfect circle but I'm afraid that might make it worse.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
After listening to what seems like five billion exhaust clips, I'm rethinking my x-pipe plan. So if anybody is interested in a brand new FRPP unit still in the box for $200 shipped, hit me up.

I'm leaning toward the FRPP Touring axle back with the stock resonator and calling it good. I want zero rasp, and just a bump in volume....

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After listening to what seems like five billion exhaust clips, I'm rethinking my x-pipe plan. So if anybody is interested in a brand new FRPP unit still in the box for $200 shipped, hit me up.

I'm leaning toward the FRPP Touring axle back with the stock resonator and calling it good. I want zero rasp, and just a bump in volume....
Excellent plan. If you ever want a better tone than the resonator and better top end performance from the crossflow, you could do a resonated X-pipe. It's only a wee bit louder than the stock resonator (actually quieter for the first few miles).

buymycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT base. Roush axleback and frpp xpipe.
Have the xpipe and roush axelbacks. Amazing sound. Started with the axlebacks, but only took a couple weeks to get used to it and become too tame. Cold starts are loud, but shift into gear quickly. No neighbors have complained yet, but I do have the resonator sitting in my garage if anyone does.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
stock backboxes with custom xpipe cost me ÂŁ100 from local exhaust place in stainless video from inside the car its my daily driver too makes it more noticeable but without being offensive.

Sponsored