Sponsored

Resonator Delete X-Pipe Suggestions

keeneyrm01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hi - New to the forum and to Mustangs. Got a slightly used 2015 GT Premium a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it, but like many others, a bit bored with the factory exhaust.

This car is my daily driver and I don't want a very loud exhaust, just something a bit more aggressive than stock. I was considering getting one of the touring cat backs from Magnaflow, Borla, AWE but wasn't sure if now is the right time to spend that much on a new exhaust (just bought the car and have other life priorities to think about). I'm now thinking of just deleting the factory resonator with an x-pipe and keeping the factory mufflers for a pretty cheap way to open it up a bit. I though this would be a logical approach as I can always add an axle back later on down the road if I'm still looking for something more.

This brings me to my question and hoping to get some first hand experience feedback. There seems to be a lot of options for regular x-pipes at similar price points (Roush, Ford Performance, Flowmaster, Long Tube, etc.) and really just varying slightly based on the stainless gauge or brand popularity. The one major different design really seems just to be the Corsa double helix at a fairly higher price than the others.

Has anybody had experience with just the Corsa x-pipe and the factory mufflers and any comparison to one of the more basic ones? I'm wondering if there would be any real noticeable difference in tone or volume with that one. It could be worth the extra money up front to go with that one if its a bit more aggressive rather than ending adding an axle back or going in a different direction soon after.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hi - New to the forum and to Mustangs. Got a slightly used 2015 GT Premium a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it, but like many others, a bit bored with the factory exhaust.

This car is my daily driver and I don't want a very loud exhaust, just something a bit more aggressive than stock. I was considering getting one of the touring cat backs from Magnaflow, Borla, AWE but wasn't sure if now is the right time to spend that much on a new exhaust (just bought the car and have other life priorities to think about). I'm now thinking of just deleting the factory resonator with an x-pipe and keeping the factory mufflers for a pretty cheap way to open it up a bit. I though this would be a logical approach as I can always add an axle back later on down the road if I'm still looking for something more.

This brings me to my question and hoping to get some first hand experience feedback. There seems to be a lot of options for regular x-pipes at similar price points (Roush, Ford Performance, Flowmaster, Long Tube, etc.) and really just varying slightly based on the stainless gauge or brand popularity. The one major different design really seems just to be the Corsa double helix at a fairly higher price than the others.

Has anybody had experience with just the Corsa x-pipe and the factory mufflers and any comparison to one of the more basic ones? I'm wondering if there would be any real noticeable difference in tone or volume with that one. It could be worth the extra money up front to go with that one if its a bit more aggressive rather than ending adding an axle back or going in a different direction soon after.
Did it, and while I was initially enamored with it because you can actually hear the exhaust, its extremely raspy nature (not good rasp) grew old quickly. I would strongly, strongly recommend saving for at least an axle back. You will get a much better tone and even the loudest axlebacks won't be too loud with the resonator. If you get a milder one you can always add a resonator delete to add some volume.

Keep your eyes on the for sale part of this forum and craigslist for used ones, too. I got an amazing deal on my Corsa axleback and got it for half of new and in great condition.

If you really want to do resonator delete now, I'd recommend going H-pipe, as it seems they don't get nearly as raspy and overall sound better with the stock mufflers.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
X-pipe and stock mufflers:

Corsa Sport Axleback and stock resonator:

Corsa Sport Axleback and Magnaflow 11386 muffler (replacing resonator):

OP
OP

keeneyrm01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the ideas. I find it hard to really get a good gauge for what the different setups actually sound like on the youtube videos. I actually kind of like the raspy note if its not over the top loud from some of the videos, but again those may not reflect the in person experience.

This was the only Corsa x-pipe with stock mufflers I could find but it also seems like its on a cold start so it's hard to compare to some of the other resonator delete videos out there.

I should also note, I have a lot to spend if needed on an exhaust but I'm more concerned on finding the right "sweet spot" on the cost/return given I'm only looking for a mild change. If theres been a lot of bad experiences with doing a $250 - $500 res delete, I rather spend more money on a different option to get more worthwhile results.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the ideas. I find it hard to really get a good gauge for what the different setups actually sound like on the youtube videos. I actually kind of like the raspy note if its not over the top loud from some of the videos, but again those may not reflect the in person experience.

This was the only Corsa x-pipe with stock mufflers I could find but it also seems like its on a cold start so it's hard to compare to some of the other resonator delete videos out there.

I should also note, I have a lot to spend if needed on an exhaust but I'm more concerned on finding the right "sweet spot" on the cost/return given I'm only looking for a mild change. If theres been a lot of bad experiences with doing a $250 - $500 res delete, I rather spend more money on a different option to get more worthwhile results.
Based on what I know, I'd go with Corsa Touring axleback or AWE Touring axleback. The AWE will be a little deeper, the Corsa a little more racy sounding. Neither drone. Corsa's own videos have been spot on to what they sound like in real life, at least to me. No, you don't get the depth of sound as you would hear in person, but in terms of tone it's good. Volume is a hard one but the Corsa is a very mild upgrade over stock. The AWE seems to be about the same. Frankly the interior volume is less than stock while cruising.

[ame]

Other great options:
Borla S-type axleback
FRPP Touring axleback

Sponsored

OP
OP

keeneyrm01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Those all sound like really solid options. I really like the Corsa Touring in that video. From what I've read, it seem like the Corsa systems all have high praise for no drone, even on their extreme systems. That's another important factor I should note, I would really like to avoid introducing drone into the cabin.

As much as I agree, the new generation Mustang should have been a bit louder, I also get where Ford was going with competing in the more luxury/performance category with the European cars and I don't want to completely take away from that positive (I was comparing 235M, S4, TT S when I was shopping for the Mustang to begin with).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Those all sound like really solid options. I really like the Corsa Touring in that video. From what I've read, it seem like the Corsa systems all have high praise for no drone, even on their extreme systems. That's another important factor I should note, I would really like to avoid introducing drone into the cabin.

As much as I agree, the new generation Mustang should have been a bit louder, I also get where Ford was going with competing in the more luxury/performance category with the European cars and I don't want to completely take away from that positive (I was comparing 235M, S4, TT S when I was shopping for the Mustang to begin with).
Can verify zero drone. You can't even make it drone if you try, even the Xtreme. It sounds better all the time and is quieter on the highway.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Can't imagine any brand xpipe with stock mufflers being much different than one another. I just chose a simple weld-in mini X and it didnt change the tone much from stock. However my top end and mileage did change slightly..for the better that is.
20160513_163010.jpg
20160513_163059.jpg

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium

Corsa Touring AB owner here. I can vouch for the excellent tone quality, zero drone, and minimal interior sound intrusion. A great choice for anyone wanting a bump in volumn over stock.

OP
OP

keeneyrm01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Can't imagine any brand xpipe with stock mufflers being much different than one another. I just chose a simple weld-in mini X and it didnt change the tone much from stock. However my top end and mileage did change slightly..for the better that is.
I was also planning on looking into having a local performance muffler shop weld up a universal x pipe instead of one of the cut and clamp options specific for the car. This could be a real quick and inexpensive way to open it up a bit. My real hesitation would be if I later on decided to go with something like the Corsa Touring AB, would it be more than what I'm looking for combined with an x pipe.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was also planning on looking into having a local performance muffler shop weld up a universal x pipe instead of one of the cut and clamp options specific for the car. This could be a real quick and inexpensive way to open it up a bit. My real hesitation would be if I later on decided to go with something like the Corsa Touring AB, would it be more than what I'm looking for combined with an x pipe.
You could always go with the resonator delete option I went with if you ever want to change the tone. It makes it sound great. [MENTION=14181]Cascadia_302[/MENTION] is about to do the same with his Touring axleback. Magnaflow 11386 dual in/out resonated Tru-X muffler. It's just a wee bit louder than the resonator but sounds a ton better.

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
If you don't want to go all out with a mid pipe, I love my Roush AB's. I've had them on two cars now. Plenty loud for a daily driver, without being obnoxious. When you start to hit the higher RPMs, they scream and definitely turn heads. Zero drone when cruising, too.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I went with the J&M X-pipe, it's made of 304 stainless steel (better than the factory metal), and only cost $149. Fit and quality was perfect.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Save some money on the pre-made ones. I took mine to a custom exhaust shop here in Des Moines and they fabbed me an H-pipe in 304 stainless and welded it in for just under $200. That was with a Mustang Club 10% discount. As good if not better than one you have to buy and then cut/mount yourself or pay someone to do. Just my opinion.

OP
OP

keeneyrm01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Save some money on the pre-made ones. I took mine to a custom exhaust shop here in Des Moines and they fabbed me an H-pipe in 304 stainless and welded it in for just under $200. That was with a Mustang Club 10% discount. As good if not better than one you have to buy and then cut/mount yourself or pay someone to do. Just my opinion.
I actually ended up stopping at a local muffler shop on my way home from work. I thought I would get a similar quote but they quoted me $400 for their basic off the shelf x-pipe and the little bit of piping. It was all with 409 stainless too, not the better stuff. I was actually really surprised it was that much, the same shop replaced the full catback on my Cobalt SS back in December for ~$550. They have a great reputation for doing high quality work for cheap so a bit of a let down.
Sponsored