Used 2015-16 V6 Rental Car ?s & Comments

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Has anyone bought and or currently have a used 2015-16 V6 Auto Convertible or Fastback and what are you thoughts overall? I am in L.A. California and see a lot of convertibles for sale.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My family has purchased three former rental cars and each were as reliable as can be. That said, I did do a burn out or two in a rental Mustang but... let's be honest... most people just cruise around with the top down. And the burnouts I've done on my car...

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
I bought a former rental convertible back in October. It's a 2016, and was just under a year old with 18,000 miles. Seems like high miles, but it's my daily driver, and I rack up miles like crazy; close to 25k a year over the last several years. I just turned 30,000 this week. No issues yet; just normal maintenance and an alignment.

If it's what you want, I'd say go for it.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
As a former v6 mustang rental driver....no way in hell would i buy one hahaha

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I think it would be fine as long as it wasn't wrecked. I used to rent cars all the time for work. Everyone once in a while they would upgrade me to something beyond a focus or something. I just drive it. Maybe smash it from time to time. But I'm not trying to wreck a rental.

Sponsored

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
I would make sure you get it under book because "Fleet" using shows up on the Carfax.

That being said they typically maintain them by the books, I know a guy who has a Corolla from Enterprise and has ran it up to 150k miles no issues.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Has anyone bought and or currently have a used 2015-16 V6 Auto Convertible or Fastback and what are you thoughts overall?
A used ~300 hp V6 (especially an automatic) is much less likely to have been beaten/raced/modded than a 400+ hp GT.

I say if you find one that is in good shape that your mechanic approves of, go for it.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Funny you should mention it. I actually tell in love with the s550 platform because a buddy and I were bored one day and saw it sitting in front of enterprise.

We drove that thing so hard it's unreal haha but hey it didn't have any issues. Anyway, that day was so good I immediately started looking into buying a used v6 rental. And here was my logic. A used car is a used car is a used car. Even if an owner babies his car he might baby it with bad habits, you never know. But those rental companies provide extra warranties and they maintain their vehicles extremely well. I mean what other car gets washed after every use?

I think buying rentals is a great idea. With that being said, I ended up going down to my local ford dealer and bought a brand new gt lololol

OP
OP
canyon ed

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone recently purchased a rental? If so how has your experience been soon far?

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Don't buy rented mustangs. They most likely have been abused by past renters.

I rented a Charger once and abused the crap out of it.

Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
It might be worth it. Take it to a trusted mechanic and have him look for signs of abuse. As others have said, people will beat on rental cars but sometimes people just cruise in them. You never now.

OP
OP
canyon ed

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
I have seen some low mile clean examples in So Calif. Converts in the $20k range

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
Don't have a definitive answer for you, but the logic that the Tappet Bros used was this- Rental companies do scheduled maintenance religiously. Repairs/recalls are done ASAP. Yes, some people beat on them, but most don't. I see a lot of rentals here, too, and most of the time the are just cruising down the Strip with the top down. I've been given GT and EB convertibles as rentals, and didn't feel a need to beat on either of them.

A privately used one MAY have been ridden hard daily, may or may not have been maintained, and if its a repo, anything goes, including it being dragged out of a driveway backwards.

Conversely, private one could be have been used like enthusiasts on here- maintained and cared for above and beyond, spirited driving without abusing, all records.. If you can find one that is for sale.

Last edited:

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I know if I rented one I wouldn't want to chance wrecking or tearing it up in fear of me having to pay more than the initial rental. I'm probably in the minority.

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
I bought one! I have no regrets! I fell in love with the S550 when my wife and I rented one in Colorado and we drove it all around Rocky Mountain National Park. It was so much fun to drive, I couldn't wait to get one.

Two years later, no more V-6, and the 2018 doesn't look as beautiful to me (at least in pictures, I haven't seen an '18 in person). Plus the 051a package was only available for two years, which makes our cars that much cooler in my opinion.

My car only had 29,000 miles when purchased and we got it for $18,650.00.

So far I got her some awesome tires (Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+), tinted her windows and put the 3.7 badges on).

This is Dorothy:
IMG_1406.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: