Sponsored

WARRANTY BEWARE

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
more people trying to commit fraud when they mod their cars and the want the dealer to pay. if you dont have $$ to fix it, leave it alone

Bcart50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado
Sounds like you went to a pretty lame dealer that the tech didn't feel like doing a warranty engine.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Sounds like you went to a pretty lame dealer that the tech didn't feel like doing a warranty engine.
I was unable to find a single dealership that would honor the warranty on any of the frpp performance packs, much less the S/C package.

Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
I was unable to find a single dealership that would honor the warranty on any of the frpp performance packs, much less the S/C package.
Thats hard to believe mate.. because all dealers do it as it is on papers

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Think you should of sent a private message to the unfortunate owner, though Ford already know the games people play. In my humble opinion Ford should stand behind their product just as long you do not surpass the parameters set forth by Roush and power packs.
Problem is 3rd party tunes surpass the FRRP/power pack canned tunes. That's why 3rd party tunes are making 35-40hp on the GT with just a CAI and tune, while the State 2 Power Pack (tune and CAI too) gets you all over 20-21hp.

Are the 3rd party tunes mostly "safe?" Sure. Very few fail. Big difference though if Ford will agree to warranty them.

It also depends on the dealer and what happened. A blown engine will be scrutinized a LOT more closely then something cheap for a few hundred bucks.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
The warranty coverage of a modded or tuned car has many facets. Is it a mod friendly dealer? Were you able to return it back to stock, including the stock tune ( I KNOW THEY CAN TELL IF ITS BEEN TUNED OR NOT ), And finally, did Ford send someone to check the car out?

I've had TWO catastrophic engine failures, one in my 2014 GT and another just a month ago in our 2016 GT. Both were F/I. Returned each car to stock, before delivering to the dealer.

Find a dealer that is mod friendly, return it to stock, discuss the matter with your service advisor before you deliver the car, and hope for the best. The techs are flat rate and want to get paid to swap the engine.

The field warranty guys know what to look for. If they inspect the car, you're done. Your powertrain warranty will be voided and the VIN will be tagged in OASIS, so no dealer will be able to help you at that point.

A great deal of your luck, depends on the write up the tech provides the approval department. The tech will provide a COST CAP and wait for approval. Also, kill your or lock down your social media accounts during the approval process. Ford might just see that time slip on your IG and thats all the ammo they need to can you.

There is a bit of preventative damage control you can do in the future. ( Before you have a failure ) - Find a dealer that will install a Ford Performance Pack. A CAI and Ford Racing Tune will do. If installed and flashed by the dealer, you are still covered in the event of a failure. This is your ground level. Use the Ford tuner and return the car to stock. Toss the CAI and Tuner in your attic. Commence with your build. Should you ever have a failure after that, pull your mods off, and reflash the Ford tune and install the CAI the dealer installed. Explain to the service advisor that you ave no idea why the car wont start. You tried everything. Pulling the batter and reflashing your Ford tune. ( This will explain the 0 closed loop cycles since PCM flash counter that they look for ). (( This information was given to me, by a drunk Ford guy, wearing a suit, at SEMA ))
This is also called fraud and a felony in most states.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Sounds like you didn't read the thread. The OP had an unapproved TUNE on his car. Ford won't warranty a blown engine on a tuned car.

Sponsored

tritus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger Hellcat
This is why I don't get tuning at all, extra 20-30hp is not worth voiding a 5 year powertrain warranty...

s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
This is also called fraud and a felony in most states.
I'd beg to differ, but opinions vary. When an OPG fails on an 8k mile engine, while cruising at 30MPH, and its never seen the strip, or WOT, with the exception of data logging.... I feel I have the right to do what I have to do when the heart of my engine ( thats is made from compressed powder! ) fails, to get it replaced.

Lets face it, there are stories of owners having their warranties voided after a cat back is installed. There is NO way that a simple bolt on can cause any damage that would warrant Ford to void a power train warranty.

And to boot, when you buy the car, it includes the warranty. If you're going take that away from me, you owe me a prorated portion of what Ford values that warranty at. Otherwise, offer the car without a warranty. Id be willing to bet that over 60% of Mustangs are modified before the 3/36 hits. Its a performance car. Its what enthusiasts do, and have for decades. It's not like I am suggesting that you go into the dealer with a hole in the side of the block and rods sticking thru the tops of pistons.... then only to play dumb.
Sponsored