Sponsored

WARRANTY BEWARE

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Doesn't the Magnuson-Moss Act come into effect here?
Exactly. The dealer can not void your ENTIRE warranty based on an aftermarket part.

All they can do is refuse warranty repair on the specific part or system that they think was caused by an aftermarket part. That is the risk of modding.
Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
i wanted to write and refraining myself he was spreading same thing on facebook and people raised same stuff.

1. Ford is not dumb fuck, they know what they are dealing. Blown up engine will go through scrutiny.
2. The day yougot your tune , you have put urself on warranty void stuff. Now yes tune can be blamed for blown engine.. Now you go around proving that ford is wrong. They can simple show that tune changed the safe parameters of the car period .
3. They can know each every trace of tune from your ecu, so you cannot escape.
4. I am telling from my buddy's exp. He had CAI on his EB. something went wrong. he went to dealership and they did not even raise a finger and rectified it.

So please impart correct info rather than playing sympathy game and blaming on a company. yes if your were stock tune, thing might have been diff

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Amazing how Ford is able to choose who can mod their cars yet we as car
enthusiasts are penalized for modding our cars? making cars go fast is as
American as apple pie and hot dogs.

Many 5.0 owners are installing 700 hp blowers on their cars with warranty in tact, and
no blown engines. Clearly Ecoboost has quality control issues that Ford does not want
to be accountable for

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium

Many 5.0 owners are installing 700 hp blowers on their cars with warranty in tact, and
no blown engines. Clearly Ecoboost has quality control issues that Ford does not want
to be accountable for
Trust me lot of EB owners are getting awesome builds. without blowing shit. YOu need to do it right or else get ready for fuck up

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

to be accountable for
Come on. Ford isn't choosing anything. Who is installing blowers and keeping the factory powertrain warranty intact?

Apple pie and hot dogs or not, lol at 'being penalized for modding our cars' because you lose part of your warranty.

If you mod your car, you risk losing that part of your warranty. I don't understand how this can be a foreign concept to anyone.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Come on. Ford isn't choosing anything. Who is installing blowers and keeping the factory powertrain warranty intact?

Apple pie and hot dogs or not, lol at 'being penalized for modding our cars' because you lose part of your warranty.

If you mod your car, you risk losing that part of your warranty. I don't understand how this can be a foreign concept to anyone.
The Ford Performance one, but that is approved by Ford for obvious reasons. And regardless it is openly approved everyone knows that. Comparing it to some random tuners tune and random untested blower is apples to oranges.

Exactly. The dealer can not void your ENTIRE warranty based on an aftermarket part.

All they can do is refuse warranty repair on the specific part or system that they think was caused by an aftermarket part. That is the risk of modding.
Please read back, he had a tune. Instant warranty denied when you start playing with the engine mapping and the engine blows. The mod caused the failure, whether other Eco engines have had issues or not.

Nothing can be put on Ford here, they caught OP with a tune not mentioned in the first post here at all that others here caught from OP's other posts on M6G.

to be accountable for
See above. Further the ONLY blower that has warranty intact is the FRRP/Roush which Ford approved the tune for; very conservative just like the FRRP Power Packs. Thus, they can CHOOSE via contract to honor the warranty when that blower is used. Same as why you can buy a Roush vehicle with fill warranty through the dealership and used to be able to with Saleens too.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
The Ford Performance one, but that is approved by Ford for obvious reasons. And regardless it is openly approved everyone knows that. Comparing it to some random tuners tune and random untested blower is apples to oranges.
But is that the actual factory warranty that everyone else gets? Or some special 3rd party (Ford Performance) warranty? One that is probably factored into the cost of the blower if not an outright additional cost.

Either way, it is clearly the exception to the rule.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
But is that the actual factory warranty that everyone else gets? Or some special 3rd party (Ford Performance) warranty?

Either way, it is clearly the exception to the rule.
Tough to tell, the Ford Performance warranty info language is ambiguous in some places. There's no additional cost. But I would suspect the part and accompanying tune (mild canned tune) was tested over and over and over by Ford and then approved; unlike say Whipple, Paxton, etc. Ford was confident enough with the setup to contractually let the warranty remain intact and let dealers install them, even on new cars.

I agree regardless its a ridiculous comparison as it's approved by Ford either way and SOMEONE is covering the damage (Ford or FRRP).

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Lol

Looks like the original poster conveniently left out he had a tune.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
The warranty coverage of a modded or tuned car has many facets. Is it a mod friendly dealer? Were you able to return it back to stock, including the stock tune ( I KNOW THEY CAN TELL IF ITS BEEN TUNED OR NOT ), And finally, did Ford send someone to check the car out?

I've had TWO catastrophic engine failures, one in my 2014 GT and another just a month ago in our 2016 GT. Both were F/I. Returned each car to stock, before delivering to the dealer.

Find a dealer that is mod friendly, return it to stock, discuss the matter with your service advisor before you deliver the car, and hope for the best. The techs are flat rate and want to get paid to swap the engine.

The field warranty guys know what to look for. If they inspect the car, you're done. Your powertrain warranty will be voided and the VIN will be tagged in OASIS, so no dealer will be able to help you at that point.

A great deal of your luck, depends on the write up the tech provides the approval department. The tech will provide a COST CAP and wait for approval. Also, kill your or lock down your social media accounts during the approval process. Ford might just see that time slip on your IG and thats all the ammo they need to can you.

There is a bit of preventative damage control you can do in the future. ( Before you have a failure ) - Find a dealer that will install a Ford Performance Pack. A CAI and Ford Racing Tune will do. If installed and flashed by the dealer, you are still covered in the event of a failure. This is your ground level. Use the Ford tuner and return the car to stock. Toss the CAI and Tuner in your attic. Commence with your build. Should you ever have a failure after that, pull your mods off, and reflash the Ford tune and install the CAI the dealer installed. Explain to the service advisor that you ave no idea why the car wont start. You tried everything. Pulling the batter and reflashing your Ford tune. ( This will explain the 0 closed loop cycles since PCM flash counter that they look for ). (( This information was given to me, by a drunk Ford guy, wearing a suit, at SEMA ))

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yep, pretty much common knowledge which is why i am not messing with CAI and tune this time around and just going with a whipple.
lol what? is this sarcasm?

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I really like my dealership/service advisor. I always ask her about warranty stuff because I am always interested to hear what they themselves say.

Last time I was in there having my FRPP track pack installed I asked her what they do when they get warranty claims on cars with aftermarket parts. She said that they will usually give you the benefit of the doubt (my particular service tech) and unless they can prove within a shadow of a doubt that the part was to blame for the issue they will cover it under warranty.

She also mentioned that there was once a lifted truck in there with tons of clearly aftermarket parts on there. The guy tried to say it was mostly stock and was messing around with the main tech and when he went to look at it he instantly denied the warranty claim. Like with most things it seems that the nicer and more honest you are with them the more likely they are to help you out (obviously changes dealer to dealer).

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The warranty coverage of a modded or tuned car has many facets. Is it a mod friendly dealer? Were you able to return it back to stock, including the stock tune ( I KNOW THEY CAN TELL IF ITS BEEN TUNED OR NOT ), And finally, did Ford send someone to check the car out?

I've had TWO catastrophic engine failures, one in my 2014 GT and another just a month ago in our 2016 GT. Both were F/I. Returned each car to stock, before delivering to the dealer.

Find a dealer that is mod friendly, return it to stock, discuss the matter with your service advisor before you deliver the car, and hope for the best. The techs are flat rate and want to get paid to swap the engine.

The field warranty guys know what to look for. If they inspect the car, you're done. Your powertrain warranty will be voided and the VIN will be tagged in OASIS, so no dealer will be able to help you at that point.

A great deal of your luck, depends on the write up the tech provides the approval department. The tech will provide a COST CAP and wait for approval. Also, kill your or lock down your social media accounts during the approval process. Ford might just see that time slip on your IG and thats all the ammo they need to can you.

There is a bit of preventative damage control you can do in the future. ( Before you have a failure ) - Find a dealer that will install a Ford Performance Pack. A CAI and Ford Racing Tune will do. If installed and flashed by the dealer, you are still covered in the event of a failure. This is your ground level. Use the Ford tuner and return the car to stock. Toss the CAI and Tuner in your attic. Commence with your build. Should you ever have a failure after that, pull your mods off, and reflash the Ford tune and install the CAI the dealer installed. Explain to the service advisor that you ave no idea why the car wont start. You tried everything. Pulling the batter and reflashing your Ford tune. ( This will explain the 0 closed loop cycles since PCM flash counter that they look for ). (( This information was given to me, by a drunk Ford guy, wearing a suit, at SEMA ))

Think you should of sent a private message to the unfortunate owner, though Ford already know the games people play. In my humble opinion Ford should stand behind their product just as long you do not surpass the parameters set forth by Roush and power packs.
Sponsored