Sponsored

FI GT or GT350??

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
After seeing those pictures, and your description of spontaneous loss of control (driver error). Don't get either of those even higher horsepower cars !! You obviously couldn't even drive just a tuned GT. :shrug:

Get a Focus RS, maybe the AWD will keep you from losing control. Or buy a used Porsche, their stability control systems will keep you from pulling another Cars & Coffee. SMH.
+1:clap2:
Sponsored

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
After seeing those pictures, and your description of spontaneous loss of control (driver error). Don't get either of those even higher horsepower cars !! You obviously couldn't even drive just a tuned GT. :shrug:

Get a Focus RS, maybe the AWD will keep you from losing control. Or buy a used Porsche, their stability control systems will keep you from pulling another Cars & Coffee. SMH.
That's a little harsh their bro. I saw his thread when he first wrecked it, and he accepted full responsibility for what he did. The existing stability control might have saved him this time, but he also stated that his start-up routine included turning off all the nannies and running in track mode.

I'm sure this lesson won't be forgotten when he gets the new car.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Hmmm...This is tough. The new GT350, exp the 17's brings a lot of goodies. Plus a few mods on it and wow. Look out. The GT with FI is in beast mode. You are truly in GT500 territory in power. But keep in mind as you already know, that power comes with cost. If you don't respect it, it will make you respect it.

That said, I am not sure. For me I am a 1/4 mile guy more than a road course guy. But I do like to take my car on a twisty road and go. I am going to say you cannot go wrong with either, but get what you feel you enjoy more on a day to day.

keep in mind if you can find a GT350 for around 50k, add a whipple 2.9 or TT for 8k, your still under 60k or near about, and with the GT350 you would not need the other upgrades for F/I you already have them...just food for thought.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's a little harsh their bro. I saw his thread when he first wrecked it, and he accepted full responsibility for what he did. The existing stability control might have saved him this time, but he also stated that his start-up routine included turning off all the nannies and running in track mode.

Turning everything off for street driving is pretty dumb. For the track, sure. You're in a controlled environment. No one is infallible and the street often presents conditions that are unpredictable and inconsistent. The systems work incredibly well and for nearly everyone, should be left on most of the time.

Track mode also makes the throttle hyper aggressive. Normal mode is already more aggressive than a straight linear pedal to torque output driver demand.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
GT350 if you can afford it. There's more to a car than being fast in straight lines, a supercharged GT would not be as fun to me as having a sweet, unique track model. It would also sound a hell of a lot better, and look better.

Sponsored

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Love reading this thread right now, except for the fact that it is making me want a GT350 :headbonk:

My vote would be the GT350 if you can find it at the right price point, then tinker with the engine if you reallyyy need to. I would totally use it as a DD too, screw keeping it in the garage

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Maybe, maybe not.

Over in the Porsche forums which I frequent also since I used to own a 2006 Cayman S (with Turbo kit), everyone always says... before modding/ adding horsepower, etc... learn your car at its full stock limits / potential FIRST by doing several (or many) HPDE's. Most people can't push their stock cars to the limits, much less a modded car.

Traction control(s) should almost always be left on, unless you're Autocrossing your car and/or are an experienced autocrosser. Everything else, even for tracks (road courses) its best to leave the Advanced Trac, etc... on. And normal streets are full of dust, oil, debris, and traction is always an unknown. So its great to have the extra "smarts" of a computer helping you do the right thing, as 95% of people don't respond correctly when loss of traction occurs. Either wrong reactions or usually over reactions causing a see-saw of responses.

Hmmm...This is tough. The new GT350, exp the 17's brings a lot of goodies. Plus a few mods on it and wow. Look out. The GT with FI is in beast mode. You are truly in GT500 territory in power. But keep in mind as you already know, that power comes with cost. If you don't respect it, it will make you respect it.
Yup.

My recommendation to OP... participate in some HPDE's. You can play with traction control on & off there in a control environment, and probably see that 1. Traction Control on = better. 2. You have a lot to learn just taming a 450hp GT, much less a 520-670+hp beast.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Love reading this thread right now, except for the fact that it is making me want a GT350 :headbonk:

My vote would be the GT350 if you can find it at the right price point, then tinker with the engine if you reallyyy need to. I would totally use it as a DD too, screw keeping it in the garage
This. Might as well enjoy something that's that expensive! It isn't like you can take it with you when you go.

Scratches? Paint chips? Naw, those are memories that were made! :D

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... keep in mind if you can find a GT350 for around 50k, add a whipple 2.9 or TT for 8k, your still under 60k or near about, and with the GT350 you would not need the other upgrades for F/I you already have them...just food for thought.
The GT350 engine is a specialty engine, and if you FI and later have a failure, it will be a much more expensive repair than a GT.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Turning everything off for street driving is pretty dumb. For the track, sure. You're in a controlled environment. No one is infallible and the street often presents conditions that are unpredictable and inconsistent. The systems work incredibly well and for nearly everyone, should be left on most of the time.

Track mode also makes the throttle hyper aggressive. Normal mode is already more aggressive than a straight linear pedal to torque output driver demand.
Well if you read the rain thread. You should either turn the traction control on. Or turn it off when it rains.:lol: So what was this poor guy to do? It was dry out.:D

OP
OP
jvandy50

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
to think i'm not going to learn a lesson from this is a pretty big assumption. i owned up to my mistake, and am still a little perplexed as to why it happened. i want to give part of the blame to me not knowing the roads were salted earlier that day for incoming bad weather that weekend, but i put my big boy pants on and left it at "boy did i fuck up". i have never lost traction doing what i did that night, until that night.

i don't even know what hpde stands for, but i have owned other mustangs and fast motorcycles that i didn't exactly baby. i've driven much higher HP cars and never had an issue. this is an isolated incident and my first at fault wreck ever.

this thread is about what to do next, i will get over this and be fine...an AWD wagon is not the answer

OP
OP
jvandy50

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Without a question, go with the GT350. I was in the very same dilemma you are in last year but I got really impatient trying to find a GT350 in terms of finding one in both the color and price I thought was reasonable. I ended up with a brand new supercharged GT PP because it was just easier to source one.

One of my only complaints about the GT unfortunately almost ruins this car for me...the transmission. Even after swapping fluids and a shifter, its still a POS transmission. That alone makes the decision a no brainer IMO. It's a shame because I do otherwise love the GT.
i am also curious at how much better the tremec 3160 is than the mt82...to be honest, after an MGW and BG fluids i liked the mt82. i noticed folks still putting an MGW on the 350, but i have not researched enough into the complaints yet.

as far as sourcing one, auto trader has so many 350s now its crazy... the big question and likely the deal breaker(deservedly so) will be the insurance quote for the 350

OP
OP
jvandy50

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
This. Might as well enjoy something that's that expensive! It isn't like you can take it with you when you go.

Scratches? Paint chips? Naw, those are memories that were made! :D
either car shall receive rock chips galore lol...so much farm equipment and gravel roads meet the highway in this area

also, i planned on keeping the last car for the long haul so the miles weren't bothering me. i figure as many miles as i would put on a 350 it won't exactly be a collector's dream down the road
Sponsored