s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
Well, to no surprise, spoke to MBRP today and they will be sending me another set! THis time, they want the old ones back.
Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Happened to my buddy's Race system and mine.

When I called MBRP, they said all of their mufflers use the same material whether the system is aluminized or stainless.

I literally had rusty water coming out of the mufflers.

The Race system sounds good, but the quality and design just isn't there. Every system I see has poor fitment. Yes, you can get it right, then it sags 1 month later. Mine was sagging so bad the tip was hitting the bumper when just 1 month before it was perfectly aligned. This is due to how the system is designed. You can crank on the clamps all you want, it will sag unless you weld the connections.

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
Happened to my buddy's Race system and mine.

When I called MBRP, they said all of their mufflers use the same material whether the system is aluminized or stainless.

I literally had rusty water coming out of the mufflers.

The Race system sounds good, but the quality and design just isn't there. Every system I see has poor fitment. Yes, you can get it right, then it sags 1 month later. Mine was sagging so bad the tip was hitting the bumper when just 1 month before it was perfectly aligned. This is due to how the system is designed. You can crank on the clamps all you want, it will sag unless you weld the connections.
Hmmm, mine fit like a glove and haven't moved at all. All I did was install the kit and tips and of course eyballed the tips as I tightened and no sagging at all for mine at least.:shrug:

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Hmmm, mine fit like a glove and haven't moved at all. All I did was install the kit and tips and of course eyballed the tips as I tightened and no sagging at all for mine at least.:shrug:
Same here. I'm pretty OCD about that sort of thing and admit it wasn't easy getting both sides to sit the same. After getting things where I liked it hadn't moved in 18 months.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
The MBRP is a great system that is very economical. I had one on my 16 for about 45 days before selling it. It is still simply steel and not stainless. Stainless systems cost at least 2x the price but will last forever.

It's great that MBRP is stepping up and replacing units with issues but don't expect stainless steel longevity with a steel exhaust. Apples and Oranges.

Sponsored

R3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT MT & Recaro
I've had MBRP Race on my previous Ecoboost. It sounded awesome from the outside but was an absolute pain from the inside - the drone was just too much for me, sound was really unpleasant, some interior parts rattled because of it.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The MBRP is a great system that is very economical. I had one on my 16 for about 45 days before selling it. It is still simply steel and not stainless. Stainless systems cost at least 2x the price but will last forever.

It's great that MBRP is stepping up and replacing units with issues but don't expect stainless steel longevity with a steel exhaust. Apples and Oranges.

You can get the MBRP system in aluminized or 409 stainless. Not as good as 304, but it is, in fact, stainless. I've got one of their 304 stainless systems in my powerstroke. Not sure why they don't offer that in the car systems.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
That's good to hear OP, because dealing with your other issue you posted in another thread I'm sure has you sidetracked enough.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
race drone bad. street very little if any drone.

is this rattle like obvious, from inside and outside the car? i noticed something odd coming from the rear of the car the other day, but have not had it back out or been able to check it out again.

we got a nice little snow storm going on in Chicago so its garaged for awhile. i need to jack it up and check all the bolts which i have not done since it was installed 1000 miles ago. thanks.

socalx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the MBRP Race exhaust. My car has just recently developed a rattle that I cannot pinpoint. It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car where the mufflers are. It is very faint but sounds like a couple of quarters hitting together. If the welds from the baffle gave way in the muffler, I think it could produce a similar sound.

My question is, could you describe the sound? I don't want to pull a muffler off the car just yet to check. But I've looked over the car everywhere else and cannot find any wear spots to determine where the sound is coming from. It just started a week ago. I'm sure it'll get worse over time if it is the baffle.

Sponsored

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
Has anyone tried lightly tapping the mufflers with a rubber mallet? Just hard enough to produce rattle if the welds really are broken

socalx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I did give it a tap with my mallet but I was unable to get it to produce the sound. Since the sound only occurs during a certain RPM range, I think it has to do more with oscillating frequency to cause the vibration. My guess would be only a few welds have broken thus making the sound audible only during a certain vibrating frequency range.

What I will do is, when I get home, I'll wait for the car to cool and actually get under the car and tap the muffler directly.

Last edited:

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
yeah, we might have to pull the damn thing off to determine if there is an issue.

socalx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I wanted to avoid pulling the muffler. I remember the glorious pain it was to get those tips level. But, it might be the only way we will ever know.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I have the Street. I had a rattle mostly at idle. Took it to the shop that installed it and we got under while it was on the lift. Spent about 15 minutes with a guy revving it to various levels. Finally found it was coming loose where it clamps on at the cat side. It was only the passenger side pipe though. He said the bolt was fully tight but they pushed it back in place and tightened it again. He said he thought it would probably come loose again and it did after about two weeks. I'm going back to have it welded in place.
Sponsored