s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
Anyone else have an issue with their MBRP Race, cat back? First set lasted 3 months, then the baffles broke loose.

Called MBRP, they shipped me a new set. Installed the new set about 6 months ago and has been fine. Started the car today and rattles AGAIN!
Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
The muffler is coming apart? That sucks...my street system has been at about a year but one of the black powdercoated tips have corroded/rusted thru the finish.

OP
OP
s550stprmtrooper

s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
The muffler is coming apart? That sucks...my street system has been at about a year but one of the black powdercoated tips have corroded/rusted thru the finish.
Its the perforated baffle inside the can thats come loose. Rattle like crazy at certain RPMs

No complaints on their finish. We're in south Florida, where nothing lasts forever. SO far the black powder coat is holding up fine.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
People like to balk at the price of quality exhaust components....

Yes Corsa, Borla and the like are expensive but you will not have these issues with them.

Silver550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
15" Silver Premium PP

Yes Corsa, Borla and the like are expensive but you will not have these issues with them.
I have personally helped out a buddy that had something similar happen to his Corsa's. Corsa was able to take care of him and send him new mufflers. It happens. I have honestly read more issues with the Roush mufflers it seems like.

I have had my Mbrp Streets for approximately 18 months with out any issues and I have the cheaper alum kit. I am sure that living in SoCal has something to do with that.

Sponsored

Palifter21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Don't want to hijack but also don't want to make a seperate thread.

How is the rasp on these systems? Specifically on the street version? The YouTube vids I've been watching vary too much so figured I'd just ask owners.

OP
OP
s550stprmtrooper

s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT

After putting more than $20k into mods on this car, you wouldn't be the first to suggest that I went with MBRP because of their price point, but instead the MBRP was chosen because of the sound.

I think they are a great company, and took care of me the first time around. I'm sure they will again.

Really was just looking for others with similar problems and then to compare notes, like are they running a fully upgraded 10 rib Whipple with ID1700's, FORE triple pump fuel system, on e85 and do a lot of WOT pulls.

For what its worth, I sell Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Corsa, Borla and MBRP. Over the short time I've sold them all ( 3 years ) I've seen about the same failure rate across all manufacturers.

It's not necessarily the manufacturer, or even the quality of materials, but more less the the assembler.

OP
OP
s550stprmtrooper

s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
Don't want to hijack but also don't want to make a seperate thread.

How is the rasp on these systems? Specifically on the street version? The YouTube vids I've been watching vary too much so figured I'd just ask owners.
We love the system. Its the cat back race. Auto with 3:15's on a 305/35-20 NT555r. The sound is deep, without rasp. Get compliments all the time. There is a slight drone for us at 67-72 MPH, while holding the speed. If you accelerate thru, you're fine. Being from South Florida, we drive 80+ or 15 MPH everywhere, so that isn't a breaking point for us. However on the trip to Mustang Week, last year... we did have a stretch of road for about and hour where we had to hold at about 68.... to avoid going deaf, I put the car into 5th, and we were good to go. Not sure if this is common on every s550 or just ours. With that said, I'm not sure there is one mod you can do to an s550 and not sacrifice one single thing, for us to avoid a 5 MPH window for the sound we wanted is no biggie.

This particular car sits around 700hp, and is a daily; so we aren't worried about weight. I might add some sound mat to the trunk to experiment

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Not the mbrp,but my magnaflow x pipe blew apart were the 2 stamped pieces join together.I also wonder if it has anything to do with running fi,and no,not because of the extra exhaust pressure,but wondering if because running a safe tune is causing a little raw fuel to build up and then when it ignites pressure causes these types of problems.Might be just a piece of crap x pipe too,dont like the way its made.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have run MBRP systems on the last 6 vehicles I've had. Currently have their catback on my 5.0 F150 and the car. Never had a problem if any kind with any of their systems.

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I had 2 sets of Borla Touring mufflers rattle after 2k miles. First set was replaced under warranty, 2nd set started rattling at 2200rpms after they got burned in. MBRP street has been on for 12k miles now and no problems.

Danielfa14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have the same Mbrp race system and i love how it sounds, it's deep and not raspy at all! It does have some drone, specifically in 6th at 2000 in my pp. it does go away at like 2250 or so. It's easily avoided by shifting a tad higher from 5th to 6th though.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
As I understand it having asked MBRP about the street rasp, they kinda sorta indicated the race and street mufflers were of a different design and not just constructed differently.

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
Pretty certain the race are perforated cores whereas the street are louvered.

Also, for anyone not liking the drone I'd consider trading my stainless streets for the race in stainless.
Sponsored