Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Racelogic has their Vbox Sport that works with phones:

https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/index.php/us/products/performance-meters/vbox-sport

VBOX-Sport-iPhone-LapTimerApp.jpg

[ame]

It's not cheap at $400, but it runs on an even higher 20Hz GPS engine (Performance Box/Driftbox run at 10Hz, but that's still light years ahead of phones which only run at 1Hz).

Looking at this test, it seems 10 Hz is just fine for repeatable/highly accurate results:

[ame]

The question remains:

How does Track Apps stack up against proven and highly accurate professional test equipment under a variety of testing methods?

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I haven't heard anyone reveal the secret sauce within track apps. As far back as test driving prior to placing my order, my salesman suggested it wasn't terribly accurate. If the main (only?) determinant of speed is a sensor on the output shaft, how could it be?

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
From what I've been able to gather, Track Apps use an accelerometer for all of it's performance outputs.

These are mechanical/electric devices that measure an objects physical movement, as opposed to a sensor that detects a wheel turning or a driveshaft spinning.

While devices like this have been around for a long time and are helpful, they've proven to be less than 100% accurate (think the old Passport G-Timer and G-tech/Pro).

After searching the net, the only actual real world test I found of Ford's Track Apps vs. an actual drag strip was this one on an eighth mile run:

[ame]

Close, but no cigar ...

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
From what I've been able to gather, Track Apps use an accelerometer for all of it's performance outputs.

These are mechanical/electric devices that measure an objects physical movement, as opposed to a sensor that detects a wheel turning or a driveshaft spinning.

While devices like this have been around for a long time and are helpful, they've proven to be less than 100% accurate (think the old Passport G-Timer and G-tech/Pro).

After searching the net, the only actual real world test I found of Ford's Track Apps vs. an actual drag strip was this one on an eighth mile run:

Close, but no cigar ...
Yes -- it uses accelerometers (has to for the lateral g-meter -- just another name for accelerometer) - but it can't use that to determine speed. I think the G-tech (not sure about the Passport) also uses a 10Hz GPS receiver as well (the newer G-tech's are now saying they use a 50Hz GPS? I just checked their website -- having seemingly been updated, these are on my list again.). I don't remember the post that led me to believe the speed was measured at the output shaft -- but this forum is where I sourced that info -- it's not untrue that you have to get your speedometer adjusted when you change the tire height/circumference...

I think we may be able to infer that track apps uses the accelerometer to start, and abort the tests -- not to measure the speed -- at least not as a single determinant of speed. We can always roll into the power gently, without making the accelerometer spike for anything, and keep slowly accelerating up to whatever speed -- I'm not saying nothing can be determined about speed from measuring the g's -- you can calculate the amount of g-force against the mass and determine that you have to be doing something at least this speed, but less than that speed.

I'm guessing that the speedometer and track apps use the same source to read the speed, and that it's probably not some kind of non-navigation related GPS.

Once a cruising speed is reached, and the car stops acceleration to maintain a set speed, the car is in an "unaccelerated" state, and then the accelerometer is no longer reading anything.

Last edited:

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Yes -- it uses accelerometers (has to for the lateral g-meter -- just another name for accelerometer) - but it can't use that to determine speed ...
Why on earth hasn't Ford released info as to how their Track Apps measure timed acceleration runs?

If they have, I haven't been able to locate it anywhere ...
Sponsored