Sponsored

Microfiber cloths leaving residue on windshield -Help!

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
OK all you detailing gurus, I need your help! I never had a problem with a film on the inside of my car windows. I've always used Rain-X glass cleaner and paper towels. A few weeks ago I decided to use one of the clean microfiber cloths that I use for a waterless wash (I have a ceramic coating) instead of paper towels on the inside of my front windshield. I did this because of all the comments I see about using a microfiber cloth for windows. The windshield looked great after I was done, however, once I got in the car and pulled out into the sun I could see a fine film with what appears like microscopic looking fibers on the inside of the windshield. It's only noticeable when the light hits it right. It kind of looks like crazed glass in a way.

I did some research and purchased some white waffle weave microfiber window cleaning cloths from Chemical Guys that got great reviews. I also purchased some 3M foam window cleaner and McKee's 37 Plex-All for the window tint. Along with that I picked up one of those triangle reach and clean tools with the microfiber cloth to do my back window. Well guess what? After putting all these products to work I now have this issue with all my inside windows :eyebulge:

What do I need to do? I tried regular Windex with ammonia on the inside front windshield using newspaper. It helped a little bit, but it's still there. I didn't wash the the white waffle weave towels or the little triangle cleaner towel first. Could this be part of the problem? If so, how do I get this film off? I'm baffled. It's on my tint now as well. I was thinking of using a solution of ammonia and water, but I know I can't use that on the tint.

I did a lot of reading about cleaning windows before I tried this stuff. I'm one of those guys that likes clean windows and I thought for sure this would do the trick, but it didn't.

Any solutions or suggestions?
Sponsored

16ggtlackFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt black
May not be the solution to your specific issue but I use invisible glass and news paper and its cleaned everything with no issues. Micro fibers never work for me. And always do it when the windows are cool.

Last edited:

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Any solutions or suggestions?
You should never mix your microfibers. I don't care how anal you are about cleaning them, there's always the chance that you can spread one of the waxes/sealants etc. onto your glass, and once it's on there and if it bakes in from the sun, you're going to need to literally scrub it off. Also, once you use your microfibers and if you wash them, they will eventually start to break down, which is probably why you're seeing little fibers in the glass (shit-quality towels will be worse).

Also, I think the Rain-X glass cleaner has its own film it applies and I'd never use it. I know some people like these things but I always find them building up in areas, especially along wiper edges, so I avoid them.

With a film like that, your best bet would likely be to use a mild dish-washing soap mixed with hot water (not scalding but nice and warm). Don't make it ridiculously sudsy. Maybe just a squirt in a spray bottle. Moisten a fresh microfiber (or spray the window) with that solution, wipe a pane down with it with a little pressure, then I'd wipe it clear with a fresh, dry micro. Then mist that area with distilled water in a clean bottle and wipe it down again with another fresh micro.

That should hopefully take care of any sort of chemicals you've got on there. And that's literally my window-cleaning process at the end. Distilled water (distilled has most of the minerals/crap removed so it won't leave anything on the window), spritz the glass, wipe it down with the moist cloth, and then using a fresh, dry micro, you literally "buff" the glass clean.

My .02

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
You should never mix your microfibers. I don't care how anal you are about cleaning them, there's always the chance that you can spread one of the waxes/sealants etc. onto your glass, and once it's on there and if it bakes in from the sun, you're going to need to literally scrub it off. Also, once you use your microfibers and if you wash them, they will eventually start to break down, which is probably why you're seeing little fibers in the glass (shit-quality towels will be worse).

Also, I think the Rain-X glass cleaner has its own film it applies and I'd never use it. I know some people like these things but I always find them building up in areas, especially along wiper edges, so I avoid them.

With a film like that, your best bet would likely be to use a mild dish-washing soap mixed with hot water (not scalding but nice and warm). Don't make it ridiculously sudsy. Maybe just a squirt in a spray bottle. Moisten a fresh microfiber (or spray the window) with that solution, wipe a pane down with it with a little pressure, then I'd wipe it clear with a fresh, dry micro. Then mist that area with distilled water in a clean bottle and wipe it down again with another fresh micro.

That should hopefully take care of any sort of chemicals you've got on there. And that's literally my window-cleaning process at the end. Distilled water (distilled has most of the minerals/crap removed so it won't leave anything on the window), spritz the glass, wipe it down with the moist cloth, and then using a fresh, dry micro, you literally "buff" the glass clean.

My .02
Thanks for the tip for trying to remove the film and lint. I will give that method a shot and see what happens then. I will make sure to use the distilled water as I already have that for mixing my waterless wash solution.

The only reason I was using the Rain-X was because it is safe for window tint. My problems began when I used that in conjunction with a microfiber cloth. Yes, the first towel I used was freshly cleaned, but it has been used a couple of times before for wiping down the car with a waterless wash spray. It's a very high quality cloth, but I can see what you mean about the possibility of still carrying a sealant within it.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Try washing the cloth. When they are new they shed a bit.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT

My .02
I have these wiper marks on my windshield. I wonder what's the best way to get it off.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I use a magic eraser to wipe down my windshield when I wash my car.
I do it while it is wet, gets rid of all the wiper marks and water spots.

450.jpg

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Try washing the cloth. When they are new they shed a bit.
Yeah, I'm doing that today. I purchased white waffle weave cloths just for the windows but I didn't wash them the first time I used them.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
When you wash your towels make sure you are using a detergent that doesn't have *any* sort of fabric softener in it; that's a sure fire recipe for streaks on painted surfaces and cloudy windows

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
Ultimate cloth

I ordered some of the Ultimate Cloths I saw on another thread. Amazon has them. They are different than microfibre and only need to be wet with water, and squeezed almost dry to use. If you do it right, no streaks. Washable and supposed to last 5 years. About $6 apiece.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
When you wash your towels make sure you are using a detergent that doesn't have *any* sort of fabric softener in it; that's a sure fire recipe for streaks on painted surfaces and cloudy windows
Yep, I've been using a special detergent for all my towels. They go through the rinse cycle twice and then are laid on a laundry rack to air dry.

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
[MENTION=25248]BlueThunder[/MENTION] gets the prize! :clap2: I followed his suggestion about the hot water and dish soap. It worked great and 95% of the film and fibers are gone. I used one of the white waffle weave towels and I could see a faint yellow tint on the side used for the inside of the windshield.

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Pretty much spot on, everyone here.

1) no fabric softener. it will streak.

2) magic eraser is good on windows provided they are not tinted. it will scratch the film.

3) windows are one place where low tech beats high tech. use invisible glass with newspaper. done.

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Invisible glass is like super awesome non streaky epic magic glass cleaner spray stuff. I have a 4 pack of spray cans sitting in my closet. Not sure if i'll ever get through it all just using it on my car lol

I've also been using high quality 100% cotton towels to dry/detail. I've heard/read it's better than microfiber for some of the reasons mentioned in this thread, streaks and they get dirty very easy.

Anyone know if there's any truth to that or just something someone came up with? It's been working very well for me so far.
Sponsored