Sponsored

Front grill design with lights something different.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
On your site it says it works on some aftermarket grills, and it says Roush. How exactly does it work with the Roush grill when that area is blocked off? Guessing you mean it works with the Roush after cutting out the plastic
Keep in mind that most grill will need to be opened up or cut out on the ends to make this work to its full benefit. As long as the grill design has that triangle in the end then it should work with some cutting.
Sponsored

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
On your site it says it works on some aftermarket grills, and it says Roush. How exactly does it work with the Roush grill when that area is blocked off? Guessing you mean it works with the Roush after cutting out the plastic?
You are 100% correct. I think that may have been a mistake, one of my local S550s came over, he had the roush grille and it seems to me that it is unlikely to fit. I have to remove that. Thank you!

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
You are 100% correct. I think that may have been a mistake, one of my local S550s came over, he had the roush grille and it seems to me that it is unlikely to fit. I have to remove that. Thank you!
Dang, this would go perfect with my new CAI I have on the way. If you guys had some proof/pics that it fit after cutting off those slits of plastic from the Roush grill I would for sure buy one!

And those LED lights added on are legit!

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
Tested by who? On a dyno with the lid closed?
I'd say hood closed too, because hood open dynos are great for parked hp numbers, not actual driving. We don't drive with the hood wide open, so why dyno that way. It's pointless. Next, there is no such thing as "ram air" I worked for Pontiac when they were developing the "ram air" hood. Air actually "only" gets sucked in above 60 mph, not rammed. Lastly, lots and lots of testing has been done on after market CAI's. They are worthless on NA cars, 100%... The only reason how some show hp increase, is with the "hood wide open", on the dyno, with a big fan blowing on it. Tests have found that the only way your going to get actual "ram air" into those scoops reliably, is if they stick 6-8" out in front of the bumper/hood, which would look really silly. There's a motorcycle that did a little big extended I take tube, out in front of the headlights, it was the 2000-2004 Ninja ZX12R. It's intake scoops actually stuck out 4" infront of the headlights, into the actual airflow. So while this "might" lower your intake temps by 3-7 degrees, that's not enough to make any perceived increase in power from temp drop. You'd need a consistent 11-14 degrees to notice it. But, above 60 mph, you might notice a brief 6-8 hp increase when u dear throttle. You just won't realize benefits during in town drives. Great idea though. Extend those snorkels out infront by 3-5", it might not look to bad. Try it. You'll be amazed at what it'll do, for actually getting into the airflow ove the front of the car. It does look good. To bad ford can't put some brightness into the dull, dim DRL led tri-bar lights in the headlights. They are barely visible in daylight and when head on. Develop a brighter bulb for those tires-bar LED's and you'll have a nice fix. Diaode Dynamics product is garbage.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I'd say hood closed too, because hood open dynos are great for parked hp numbers, not actual driving. We don't drive with the hood wide open, so why dyno that way. It's pointless. Next, there is no such thing as "ram air" I worked for Pontiac when they were developing the "ram air" hood. Air actually "only" gets sucked in above 60 mph, not rammed. Lastly, lots and lots of testing has been done on after market CAI's. They are on NA cars, 100%... The only reason how some show hp increase, is with the "hood wide open", on the dyno, with a big fan blowing on it. Tests have found that the only way your going to get actual "ram air" into those scoops reliably, is if they stick 6-8" out in front of the bumper/hood, which would look really silly. There's a motorcycle that did a little big extended I take tube, out in front of the headlights, it was the 2000-2004 Ninja ZX12R. It's intake scoops actually stuck out 4" infront of the headlights, into the actual airflow. So while this "might" lower your intake temps by 3-7 degrees, that's not enough to make any perceived increase in power from temp drop. You'd need a consistent 11-14 degrees to notice it. But, above 60 mph, you might notice a brief 6-8 hp increase when u dear throttle. You just won't realize benefits during in town drives. Great idea though. Extend those snorkels out infront by 3-5", it might not look to bad. Try it. You'll be amazed at what it'll do, for actually getting into the airflow ove the front of the car. It does look good. To bad ford can't put some brightness into the dull, dim DRL led tri-bar lights in the headlights. They are barely visible in daylight and when head on. Develop a brighter bulb for those tires-bar LED's and you'll have a nice fix. Diaode Dynamics product is garbage.
Yes of course the ram air effect is minimal and I've said it here before, but it is positive air pressure at higher speeds rather than negative. I've also stated that this system with closed air box design really goes after the low speed city driving and stop and go traffic where engine heat builds up fast. I record my IAT1 and IAT 2 and I regularly see spikes of 70 degrees in IAT 1 during 75-80 degree ambient days and idle and slow driving around town. Of course IAT 2 is the real tell in this story and that is not as dramatically affected becuase of the the heat scrubbed off by the intercooler. However IAT1 does play a big roll in that it's the starting point, and cooler is always better. So far this system has worked as planned and as I thought, with significantly reduced temps around town and idle and marginal temp drops during steady cruise. Now IAT1 at idle for 5 minutes when engine is fulley warmed is resultind in a 20-25 degree rise and it's a much much slower increase. More testing to come, and will report back.

As far as the Dyno, it wasn't specifically done to test this closed air box, and of course it would be more realistic to close the hood especially for testing the effects of heat build up.

My gripe with you and Super Werty is that aside from you both raising some valid questions, it's in the delivery that's sucks. Look at what you said in the beginning of your response above, basically "open Dyno's suck" and it proves nothing with this system and then you go into this "next" ram air is bullshit and being a complete waist, and lastly you somize I waisted my time becuase it only shows a 3-4 degree reduction. Their is SOME truth in what you say, but don't come here with your negative attitude and spin on this project, just because you worked for Pontiac and are some ram air expert. Go shit on your own thread pal! :frusty:

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
The "ram air" big mouth adaptor is sitting square in the mouth of the grill. There is no way it is not making a difference albeit maybe not a ton. Air flow is without a doubt increased and I do not need a scientist to tell me that.

Shawn isn't selling this mod, he's not advertising it will be a game changer. He is a "shady tree" mechanic like a lot of us who came up with a good idea and simply posted his experience for others to try if they wanted.

The test on Whipple's dyno was not to look for power increase it was solely to make sure there is enough air when the car is not moving and it has been decided by Dustin there is.

For us "grocery getters" this is a nice mod. For the people looking to suck mosquitoes out of the woods driving down the street or strip hoping for every last molecule of air for HP, who knows.

Oh, you lost me at Pontiac :ford:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
For the people looking to suck mosquitoes out of the woods driving down the street or strip hoping for every last molecule of air for HP, who knows.

Oh, you lost me at Pontiac
I want to suck mosquitoes out of the Woods!:eyebulge::lol::clap2:

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Dang, this would go perfect with my new CAI I have on the way. If you guys had some proof/pics that it fit after cutting off those slits of plastic from the Roush grill I would for sure buy one!

And those LED lights added on are legit!
Here is a pic of the back side cut. Basically cut out as much as you want, the more you cut out the larger the hole and more of the big mouth will show from the front. I cute about 1/4" past the molding step in the grill. Use tape to mark it and a dremel with a plastic cutting disc works great. Finished with coarse sanding block to smooth the edges

Here is how is recommend to Ben cut by customscargrill.com

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Unfortunately any one can post whatever words no matter how dumb they sound as we read them and fortunately people can post whatever they want so we can learn, appreciate or enjoy something.

Thanks to Shawn's postings, I was able to learn and apply the closed air box design that he developed for our Whipple air boxes. Would it work? Maybe. Looks like it would work and the logic seems to imply that it would work. Let's test it to the ability it was designed to....

I don't know, how about we go to Whipple and see (rhetorical question). My car was tested for three days. Yes it was dyno'd with the hood open ( I'll call them and let them no how stupid that is) but that wasn't the test for the air box. It was for my enjoyment to have a video of the dyno process and outcome. The car was run on the road over and over in different conditions and data logged along with other testing I'm not going into. Everything in relation to the air box that they were curious about was satisfied in a very positive outcome. All this testing didn't even have to do with the the air box; it was lucky timing as an extra thing for them to test as they had my car and I did the mod. In simplistic terms, Whipple states that the closed air box kept AIT1's lower, especially at low speeds and sitting at idle with positive effects on timing for power.

If anyone has a gripe with an open hood dyno, or ram air, or Diode Dynamics being garbage (<------ still trying to figure out how that ended up in this topic) by all means start a thread and maybe you'll change the world with revelations. This post of someone offering a mod they did and how they did it ain't the place to do it.

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Here is a pic of the back side cut. Basically cut out as much as you want, the more you cut out the larger the hole and more of the big mouth will show from the front. I cute about 1/4" past the molding step in the grill. Use tape to mark it and a dremel with a plastic cutting disc works great. Finished with coarse sanding block to smooth the edges
This is what the Roush grill looks like I have, I would have to cut out the plastic in between the grill because it doesn't have the triangle. The Roush grill is also more pushed out I believe. I would totally take on this project, just don't want to waste the money on the piece if the grill isn't far enough inward to hold it in place :shrug:

I'll hold off until there is any verification it would work!

Sponsored

4orceFed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Equip.Group 400A

Here is how is recommend to Ben cut by customscargrill.com

Shawn, thanks for the tips and links on both the grill and airbox. Appreciate your attitude and desire to pass along information on modifications that work for you. Was looking for a new grill, but really like the angles of the stock one versus the RTR. I think I'll try out both mods.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
This is what the Roush grill looks like I have, I would have to cut out the plastic in between the grill because it doesn't have the triangle. The Roush grill is also more pushed out I believe. I would totally take on this project, just don't want to waste the money on the piece if the grill isn't far enough inward to hold it in place :shrug:

I'll hold off until there is any verification it would work!
I wouldn't worry about the grill being more forward. My grill is a billet replacement grill that has much more room behind it than the original. The Big Mouth doesn't need the grill to secure it as it surrounds the stock pass through and won't budge. My front grill has no contact with it.

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't worry about the grill being more forward. My grill is a billet replacement grill that has much more room behind it than the original. The Big Mouth doesn't need the grill to secure it as it surrounds the stock pass through and won't budge. My front grill has no contact with it.
That gives me some hope! I was under the impression that the grill (more specifically the triangle area being so far in) was what is holding it in there

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
That gives me some hope! I was under the impression that the grill (more specifically the triangle area being so far in) was what is holding it in there
Nope. The odd shaped pass through and some fiddling to get it in there around the stock piece makes it stay there with ease. Just drive faster and the RAM air will help keep it in place. That last sentence is of course for entertainment purposes only. You will be more than fine.

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Nope. The odd shaped pass through and some fiddling to get it in there around the stock piece makes it stay there with ease. Just drive faster and the RAM air will help keep it in place. That last sentence is of course for entertainment purposes only. You will be more than fine.
Awesome!! I had NO IDEA you installed the BIG MOUTH on a roush grill, good job! :headbang:

I guess I was wrong :)

:cheers:
Sponsored

Last edited: