Sponsored

Anyone else like the stock exhaust?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I also like the tone of the stock exhaust and volume on a daily driver with the sound tube in place. After it got broken in after about 3000 miles, the volume outside the car is ok. If this was a weekend driver, I would have aftermarket.

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
The stock exhaust on the S550 has a better tone than that on the S197's Coyote. I prefer the stock volume level to stay under the radar. At idle and while blipping just above, it has a menacing growl too. At higher revs, the tuneful intake whir being ported into the cabin pushes the right reptilian pleasure centre buttons.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I hated stock. Sounds so garbage. Can barely tell there is a V8 under the hood. Swapped mine out with less than 100miles on it.

S-Type cat-back is perfect level for me. Though maybe you should look into Touring from Borla. Or ford racing performance by Borla is quieter.

If I ever get tired of it. (which i probably won't) i'd considering buying the touring resonator and swap the X-pipe out. It has some rasp to it but not over the top.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
no. heard a stock mustang at Publix yesterday while driving my wife's Honda Odyssey. Its to quiet. Also going home on 295 north last Friday an orange ecoboost got beside me, I give the car a quick WOT, and scared the living daylights out of the pretty brunette woman in the orange eb.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Highly subjective topic. I liked my stock exhaust but it didn't have what I thought to be an appropriate sound for a 400+ hp car. The magazine reviews I saw said the same thing. It is a bit quiet. With just a muffler change I am completely satisfied, but also over 50. I have a younger friend with an S550 who went full tilt with long tubes and full exhaust. It's not my thing but oh it turns heads!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Now that said, I will want to adjust the exhaust if it can provide more power when I get the cash but I don't want it getting much louder. Any suggestions?
What I expect . . . you'll gain more decibels than either HP or ft*lbs. That's real HP & torque, not what the extra sound volume has your imagination believing. I think the 'Touring' systems mentioned earlier can be found in the current Ford Performance catalog, which can be downloaded. They appear on about page 16, as "50-state legal" catback kits. The 49-state legal systems are a bit louder.

While I don't know if the S550 GT's exhaust is quieter than what my 4.6L came with, I do understand wanting to be able to listen to music without having to turn it up too far, and for it to not be necessary that conversations be carried on in raised voices. I've had cars that were marginal or worse in this respect, at least under certain driving situations. I may be getting on in years, but I've never wanted to run an exhaust that threatened to make peoples' ears bleed. Some voice without the shouting.

Liking what a crossplane V8's X-pipe exhaust sounds like may be something of an acquired taste, though it does tend to add a handful of HP up on the top end of the rev range. Literally, only a handful. An 'X' does do a better job than an H if the mufflers you have put up much resistance to flow. From a purely personal point of view, I'd install an 'X' just so I didn't sound like yet another rumbly-exhaust truck or Flowmaster'ed Fox-body, separate from wanting a few more HP to play with up top for HPDE road course purposes.

Norm

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I actually liked the stock sound from my V6 (Flamesuit ON).....I have FM Outlaws right now and even considering putting back the stock.

Sponsored

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
My wife likes her stock exhaust on her 5.0. I think it has an odd sound on the outside of the car, it might be the stock exhaust manifolds. My arh headers, catless, and corsa extreme has a totally different sound at idle, less old school "potato" v8, if that makes any sense.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
What sound? I can't even hear the stock exhaust. All I hear is the plumbed in induction noise. The engine noise overpowers the exhaust. All you hear is engine when you rev it. It's like the RC-F. Fantastic engine but can't hear a damn thing. Exhaust is a must.

RubyRed216

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I daily mine and have no problems with the stock exhaust. If I took it out just on weekends I might look at getting something louder, but right now I like it the way it is.

Kpod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Black
I like mine at time and wish it was louder at other times. That's one reason I started looking at gt350's with active exhaust and am interested in the 18gtpp with active exhaust. Best of both worlds. The video where the ford guy gets in the one at the farmers market and revs it up in track mod sounds perfect to me. It's got some snap crackle and pop to it, sounds a little more exotic but not too raspy.

An 18 with active exhaust, MAK cat deletes, and x pipe/resonator delete might be the ticket.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I did until I realized that nearly all of the sound you hear inside the car is engine induction sound. The only time the stock exhaust is audible from inside is with the windows down and free-revving while parked.

I went from Stock -> X-pipe Res. Delete + Stock Mufflers -> X-pipe + JBA AB -> Stock Resonator + Corsa Sport AB

A very nice improvement in tone and a modest volume increase would be the Corsa Touring AB or FRPP Touring AB.
Sponsored