Custom active exhaust? Super quiet to super loud

OP
OP

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
The X-Force Cat-back with the resonator removed gets pretty darn loud with the valve fully open. I enjoy it everyday on the way home from work. With the valve closed in the morning on the way to work all the low rumble is gone. Not exactly quiet as stock but pretty darn close. I just wish X-force would offer their cat-back without the resonator.
Good to know!

...i'm actually working with them, to bring out something never done before. hoping it gets released sometime this year
Go on... :D

Straight pipes on the S550 sound LIKE ASS unless you're WOT. Cold starts sound like a f***ing Helicopter rotor, and the car sounds like a horrible lovechild between NASCAR and a Hillbilly Farm Truck. Even at WOT it sounds less than stellar, although you'll be like "Man, I must be doing 110 by now!!!" only to realize you're doing 25mph.

After spending the equivalent of DAYS under my car, welding cutting, testing, etc... To accomplish what you want, install electronic cutouts BEFORE the resonator, and from those, have the exit pipe go into a simple glasspack muffler. (I used 26" models) After the muffler, have them dump somewhere in a secondary location.

When you want quiet, you have the dumps closed, and you're on stock pipes, when you wanna hear it, push the button, and you're going through race bullets, or whatever small mufflers you choose- no resonators. It will be loud, without sounding stupid.
Is there room in the tunnel under the car for another set of pipes in addition to the suitcase without killing ground clearance? And doesn't that extra set of pipes also need a X or H somewhere for scavenging?
Sponsored

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Is there room in the tunnel under the car for another set of pipes in addition to the suitcase without killing ground clearance? And doesn't that extra set of pipes also need a X or H somewhere for scavenging?
Yes, there is room, if you're lowered, you can use oval pipe. If you use "race bullets" (which are just ridiculously short glasspacks) you could even put two on each side to allow for clearance.

No, you don't need an H or X pipe on the 2nd set, there would be negligible (if any) power change, and it's not going to hurt (or help) anything. If you really feel the need, you can have the exhaust shop weld in an H before the cutouts, but you'll be cutting it close for space.

Once you're done with all of it, then you get start cussing and throwing things because exhaust cutouts leak. Always. Only block-off plates with a gasket will stop them, and that defeats the purpose of the electronic feature.

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium

ALL4SQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium
you can always cut out that resonator and have pipes welded in place.

i'm actually working with them, to bring out something never done before. hoping it gets released sometime this year
I replaced the forward portion of the X-Force Cat-back with a Flowmaster scavenger X-Pipe. This required cutting and welding C/T the Flowmaster piece. The Idea was to be able to re-install the X-Force forward section if I decide to install their headers and High flow cats. I just couldn't bring myself to cutup the beautiful polished X-force Mid-Pipe.

Looking forward to seeing what you are working on with X-Force.

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
I replaced the forward portion of the X-Force Cat-back with a Flowmaster scavenger X-Pipe. This required cutting and welding C/T the Flowmaster piece. The Idea was to be able to re-install the X-Force forward section if I decide to install their headers and High flow cats. I just couldn't bring myself to cutup the beautiful polished X-force Mid-Pipe.

Looking forward to seeing what you are working on with X-Force.
i understand, i thought about cutting it off too because it didn't quite have the sound i was searching for. that's why i reached out to them with this idea.

you're gonna want their headers though

Sponsored

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
After spending the equivalent of DAYS under my car, welding cutting, testing, etc... To accomplish what you want, install electronic cutouts BEFORE the resonator, and from those, have the exit pipe go into a simple glasspack muffler. (I used 26" models) After the muffler, have them dump somewhere in a secondary location.
Do you have the setup you described? Because I would like pictures.

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Do you have the setup you described? Because I would like pictures.
I did, but the cutouts were "NASCAR IN YOUR FACE" loud, even at 25mph, so I removed them, and stuck with just cats and the 26" glasspacks. It's a nice idle, smooth under light acceleration, and engages beast mode at WOT. This is a quick clip of the glasspacks with windows down.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP41aYZBf3ugaOX0CK-aiJQC7ktqHGOa3qphiM0/

It's pretty straightforward though...

Delete mufflers.
Replace resonator with glasspacks.
Prior to glasspacks, install the cutouts.
Run a pipe form cutouts to side exits or dumps of your choice.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If I was doing this I'd just get cutouts welded into an x or h pipe. just barely louder than stock closed, and insane wake the dead loud when open, AND for a few hundred vs few thousand paying for one of those fancy exhausts mentioned

have you heard how loud it is though? LOL man it always shocks me how loud most mustang owners prefer their cars to be.

ears not bleeding? then exhaust not loud enough :D
That was my first exhaust setup. H-Pipe with an electric cutout. Here's a low quality video of that setup. With the electric cutout closed, essentially an H-Pipe with stock mufflers, it was slightly louder than with the suitcase resonator but still fairly quiet.

[ame]

Last edited:

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=23658]Silver_Bullet_S550[/MENTION], was there ever an update to this? Seems like XForce is off this forum entirely and all their threads are closed now...
everything is still coming and in the works. i'm not allowed to say what it is exactly but it's something i'm sure a lot of people (especially me) will like:thumbsup:

X-Force doesn't really do too much social media from what i've seen

Sponsored
OP
OP

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
everything is still coming and in the works. i'm not allowed to say what it is exactly but it's something i'm sure a lot of people (especially me) will like:thumbsup:

X-Force doesn't really do too much social media from what i've seen
Do they have a very rough time frame of release? Like in 3-4 months, or 10-12 months?

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
Do they have a very rough time frame of release? Like in 3-4 months, or 10-12 months?
sadly i don't know that info. i'm hoping before the end of the show season tho

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
What about using warlock mufflers? Add an electronic cutout on the straight pipe side and you have it open at will.

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/site/c/detail/FLT3/50552FLT/N0896.oap?ck=Search_N0896_-1_-1&pt=N0896&ppt=C0112
QTP Screamers look almost identical, both of these look pretty awesome, but worried it wouldn't be quiet enough in quiet mode.
What about just welding a second inlet with a cutout onto the stock mufflers? They look like they go all the way through to the back if you look in the tips. Basically the same thing as these aftermarket mufflers, just rigged up on an OEM muffler.
QTP screamer dual inlet.jpg
Sponsored