5.8L Trinity swapped S550

mustangflanagan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Trinity motor swap.

1463104545.5.8L Trinity S550 Mustang Swap Weir Racing.jpg

Well, I ran into Jordan Weir tonight and got the skinny on the car.

They went with the 5.8 block for strength/reliability reasons, but would have gone Coyote if the MMR billet block would have been available at the time (late last year). Engine is a full-on build, low-profile fabbed intake (fits under the stock hood), dry sump and all. Turbos are behind the bumper. In other words, big $$$. In the video the car made 900+ (he wouldn't tell me the exact number) to the tires at 10 PSI, plans are to run 25 PSI. Car has an auto trans.

Sounds like the Trinity was a reasonably easy fit, they used a modded '13-'14 GT500 K-member and some custom steering bits to make the swap. No major chassis mods to make it fit.

Plans are to run the Arkansas Mile in early June and hopefully set a record there. Then they plan to run it a few more times to generate buzz for their company and then the car goes up for sale.

VIDEO:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=946000385517314&id=498379196946104
Sponsored

Grandmarshal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dario
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
:eyebulge::eyebulge: but but but.... NM this is epic! :headbang::hail:

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's cool proof of concept, but why?

On a 5.0 the basic Roush TVS can get you to 727hp (the 5.8 was only 682 in the GT500). Hellion turbos can get you over 1000hp. Both for much much much much much less money than doing this.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Isn't the 5.8L block stronger than the 5.0?
Every mod motor block has been known to be stronger than the 5.0. I think some of the issues may have been addressed for the S550 though. Never looked into it hard.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Interesting....

These guys are based not far from me, and last I heard last fall this car was going to run the 5.0 with snails. Wonder what changed that, I'll have to wait until I see Jordan Weir at a cruise night.

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I know there's a thread that goes into detail about tire grip -- I wish there was more information about getting the power to the ground, and tire/wheel selection for real performance rather than just stance -- all that power isn't worth much if you can't get it to the ground, or are blowing the tires off constantly -- super dangerous if you blow them off at high-speed. Still... 5.8 liters...

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
5.8l is kind of over hyped. I gave up on my 14 gt500 to come to the 5.0. I had around 35g in mine. Which i found out at 1000whp was a ticking time bomb. Anytying more then 750-775 even on the oe blower is a time bomb. For a built 5.8 it costs 20-30g. More if you blew up your block. A bare oe short block is 7500. Its so ridiculously over priced to mod that engine as a whole. For 1000whp-1300whp reliably doing most(excluding the engine build) of the work yourself itll set you back around 50-60g. You can do the same in a coyote for under 40g.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Well, I ran into Jordan Weir tonight and got the skinny on the car.

They went with the 5.8 block for strength/reliability reasons, but would have gone Coyote if the MMR billet block would have been available at the time (late last year). Engine is a full-on build, low-profile fabbed intake (fits under the stock hood), dry sump and all. Turbos are behind the bumper. In other words, big $$$. In the video the car made 900+ (he wouldn't tell me the exact number) to the tires at 10 PSI, plans are to run 25 PSI. Car has an auto trans.

Sounds like the Trinity was a reasonably easy fit, they used a modded '13-'14 GT500 K-member and some custom steering bits to make the swap. No major chassis mods to make it fit.

Plans are to run the Arkansas Mile in early June and hopefully set a record there. Then they plan to run it a few more times to generate buzz for their company and then the car goes up for sale.